The Winds of Winter Prologue

Any thoughts on what it might be or what you would like it to be? I know we've already had 3 of the first 5 prologues north of The Wall, but I would really like to see what is going on at Hardhome. It would be a really good chapter to set the tone for the book: bleak and cold and horrifying and hopeless. Any other thoughts?

Since CoK and AFFC both had master-centric prologues, WoW will probably follow the same path. My best guess is it will focus on Highgarden's maester (allowing us to meet Willas) right before it comes under attack by Euron Greyjoy. A similar scenario could work for Casterly Rock, but since we've already met all the important Lannisters, Highgarden is where my money is.

It seems likely that the prologue will be from the PoV of Doran Martell

I highly doubt it. The prologue characters always died in the end and we know for a fact that Doran is alive for at least one of Arianne's chapters

Possible Winds of Winter Prologues:

A sacrifice at the red temple in Volantis: Shows us what is really up with the Red Priests. (Note: I believe that Arya is going to be sent to kill the high priest of R'hollar as her first faceless man assasination.)

Jojen Reed: We know he is going to die, he pretty much said that his return to Grey Watch tower would be very sad. I don't know what information we could gleen from a POV from Jojen, unless it is an introduction to Howland Reed.

A prisoner of Qyburn: We get an inside look at "Blood Magic" and see what is really going on in the dungeons of king's landing. We could learn that Qyburn may be more loyal to Roose then to Cersei or we could learn that Robert Strong is not as invincable as he appears.

Rhaegar Targaryen: As Rhaegar rides to the Trident and we get an in person account of the most impactful battle of the entire ASOIAF, we learn that Rharger loves Lyanna and we get more hints that R + L = J.

Walder Frey: Being stabbed by Lady Stoneheart, or eaten by a huge direwolf. I don't think we are just going to hear in passing that the lord of the crossing died, I think we are going to see it.

I understand re-categorizing this thread under "The Winds of Winter," but why is the TWOW sub-forum categorized under the ADWD sub-forum?

Nah, Forums are not chat rooms, there may be a few hours to days between posts, no problem ;) The thing is, there have been quite a few threads on that topic which you find here if you just go look for them.

Most options have been already named in here. The prologue can literally be anyhting, I don't believe in patterns since the books keep expanding, so what would the literary point be in that?

A few other possibilities: A Dothraki meeting Dany; Lyanna Stark, Ashara Dayne or someone else from the past, someone in Storm's End during Siege by Aegon, Ser Shadrich/Knight looking for Sansa, etc. ... The list really is endless ;)

I believe that Arya is going to be sent to kill the high priest of R'hollar as her first faceless man assasination.

That is an awfully tall order for a newb. He or she would see her coming in the flames 100 leagues away.

Jojen Reed: We know he is going to die, he pretty much said that his return to Grey Watch tower would be very sad. I don't know what information we could gleen from a POV from Jojen, unless it is an introduction to Howland Reed.

That would be cool.

Rhaegar Targaryen: As Rhaegar rides to the Trident and we get an in person account of the most impactful battle of the entire ASOIAF, we learn that Rharger loves Lyanna and we get more hints that R + L = J.

Walder Frey: Being stabbed by Lady Stoneheart, or eaten by a huge direwolf. I don't think we are just going to hear in passing that the lord of the crossing died, I think we are going to see it.

Well, if you're going to dream, dream big. :cheers:

I'm thinking a King's Landing POV from a Lannister or a Tyrell or one of their guards.They'll be dealing with the fallout from Kevan Lannister's murder and everything will go to hell.

Maybe something from a Bolton in Winterfell or a wildling at Hardhome. Seeing as they're two places where a huge amount of stuff is going on with no POV characters to cover it.

I think the prologue would have to take place in a location where no POV characters are currently. No King's Landing, Oldtown, The Wall, etc. I also believe it will continue the pattern and be a southern Maester, most likely from Highgarden, Storms End, or Dorne (I don't think we will see a Casterly Rock prologue because I don't think there is really anything important there). Wishful thinking has me hoping for a maester at Riverrun only to end the chapter with an invasion by the Brotherhood without Banners. Although this is unlikely because there are three POV characters in the area, it would be cool to see this type of scene from the perspective of someone inside Riverrun.

I agree with The Iron Suitor.

AGOT: Will, north of the Wall

ACOK: Maester Cressen, Dragonstone

ASOS: Chett, north of the Wall

AFFC: Novice Pate, Oldtown

ADWD: Varamyr, north of the Wall

Following the trend, I'm expecting a southern maester-related prologue. My money is on Maester Colemon in the Eyrie, but it could be almost anyone. Other possibilities: Riverrun or The Twins, with the BWB attacking; Highgarden, we'd finally meet Willas; Storm's End to see how the Golden Company takes it seems like a likely option; etc... I don't think we will see Casterly Rock until Cersei or Tyrion returns home.

Archived