The Winds of Winter Prologue

someone in the golden company finds out aegons indentity (someone high up who would be a witness to a meeting between varys and homeless harry possibly his squire watkyn) when varys arrives at their cmap outside storms end to present the ancestral sword blackfyre to aegon, pov character reveals aegons identity, to save face varys tells a dubious young griff that pov character is a spy trying to create controversy and that he must be killed aegon beheads him with blackfyre and at some point during the chapter we find out the golden companys next plan.

or

the hound is called away from quiet isle by the faith as their champion against robert strong, in cersei's trial, hound reluctantly agrees, at first seems to win the trial but then discovers un-greg is unusually strong, and he dies fighting him setting cersei free in his last moments hound realises ser rob is his brother.

those are my 2 hopes both would involve the 3 essential components of a prologue;

1. reveal new info: aegons identity, ser robert is gregor clegane.
  2. pose a new part of the story/ threat: what aegon will do next, cersei has survived
  3. end in a death of the pov; watkyns beheading, the hounds death.

someone in the golden company finds out aegons indentity (someone high up who would be a witness to a meeting between varys and homeless harry possibly his squire watkyn) when varys arrives at their cmap outside storms end to present the ancestral sword blackfyre to aegon, pov character reveals aegons identity, to save face varys tells a dubious young griff that pov character is a spy trying to create controversy and that he must be killed aegon beheads him with blackfyre and at some point during the chapter we find out the golden companys next plan.

or

the hound is called away from quiet isle by the faith as their champion against robert strong, in cersei's trial, hound reluctantly agrees, at first seems to win the trial but then discovers un-greg is unusually strong, and he dies fighting him setting cersei free in his last moments hound realises ser rob is his brother.

those are my 2 hopes both would involve the 3 essential components of a prologue;

1. reveal new info: aegons identity, ser robert is gregor clegane.

2. pose a new part of the story/ threat: what aegon will do next, cersei has survived

3. end in a death of the pov; watkyns beheading, the hounds death.

I like the second idea with the hound, but I think both Cersei and Margaery will lose their trials which will create mass chaos in Kings Landing with Lannister and Tyrell forces going to war with the faith. Leading Aegon and the GC to take over Kings Landing.

Just to throw a random guess out there, how about something dealing with Howland Reed.

There's a large number of plotlines that are converging around him and Greywater Watch. If he ends up making his move at the start of the next book, then perhaps something set in Greywater Watch could work. Or maybe GRRM will decide to really start The Winds of Winter off with a bang and set it somewhere the crannogmen attack without warning as part of their opening play, perhaps even Dreadfort itself.

I like the second idea with the hound, but I think both Cersei and Margaery will lose their trials which will create mass chaos in Kings Landing with Lannister and Tyrell forces going to war with the faith. Leading Aegon and the GC to take over Kings Landing.

I like that too, but I have a strong hunch that Lancel will be the Faith's champion against Strong (or at least the first one), and he's *definitely* getting killed. So, maybe the unnaturalness of Strong will be revealed and the Faith will say the trial was void? That could create some chaos. I agree that the confrontation between Cersei and the Faith can't be resolved by the trial.

I feel ike its got to be some lannister in lanisport or CRock, they are going thru some chaos with all the deaths and trials. The only lannisters who arent dead or could die any day are tommen, lancel, and jamie but they cant take power and jamie could also be on the chopping block

Could of missed something but i have no clue who will be the next lanister lord, it would be cool to see the maester try to organize a rioting city only to be conqured by the euron

Will is killed by an Other.

Cressen is dead because of Melisandre.

Chett is killed by an Other (or a wight, I don't recall)

Pate is killed by a Faceless Man and Varamyr gave us information about skinchancing.

So I think she/he will die because of magic or gave us some information about magic.

I think there are at least two very possible scenarios for WoW Prologue.

1. (Most likely) Others attack Hardhome, sack it and kill everybody in sight. We have some new information on Others. POV of a random wildling or maybe Mother Mole herself. After all, the book is called Winds of Winter

2. Naval battle between Paxter Redwyne's fleet and the Ironborn. It's possible that Euon will win using some dark sorcery, as I don't believe that he'll be able to pull the victory against well-organized fleet of large galleys without the best ships which are travelling to the East. POV of a Redwyne sailor.

Something that I just came upon that was obscure enough that I overlooked. I really wasn't being aware of Marwyn's involvement until Sam's POV at the Citadel. However, in the first quarter of the book AFfC, Asha meets with her uncle Lord Rodrik. She interrupts his reading of a book called the Book of Lost Books written by Archmaester Marwyn. In the book Marwyn claims to have found several pages from an ancient book written before the Doom of Valyria called Signs and Portents that was written by Aenar Targaryen. Information that Marwyn has that came from Targaryen's before the Doom could have a bearing on how to control Dany's dragons or may indicate something that is critical for Dany to know. There may be a way to break the bonding of a dragon that was done by horn-blast. Perhaps there's a prologue that opens with Marwyn revealing info while on Cinnamon Wind prior to getting to Merreen.

I think there are at least two very possible scenarios for WoW Prologue.

1. (Most likely) Others attack Hardhome, sack it and kill everybody in sight. We have some new information on Others. POV of a random wildling or maybe Mother Mole herself. After all, the book is called Winds of Winter

2. Naval battle between Paxter Redwyne's fleet and the Ironborn. It's possible that Euon will win using some dark sorcery, as I don't believe that he'll be able to pull the victory against well-organized fleet of large galleys without the best ships which are travelling to the East. POV of a Redwyne sailor.

Why a Redwyne sailor??? give us Lord Redwyne himself :)

Something that I just came upon that was obscure enough that I overlooked. I really wasn't being aware of Marwyn's involvement until Sam's POV at the Citadel. However, in the first quarter of the book AFfC, Asha meets with her uncle Lord Rodrik. She interrupts his reading of a book called the Book of Lost Books written by Archmaester Marwyn. In the book Marwyn claims to have found several pages from an ancient book written before the Doom of Valyria called Signs and Portents that was written by Aenar Targaryen. Information that Marwyn has that came from Targaryen's before the Doom could have a bearing on how to control Dany's dragons or may indicate something that is critical for Dany to know. There may be a way to break the bonding of a dragon that was done by horn-blast. Perhaps there's a prologue that opens with Marwyn revealing info while on Cinnamon Wind prior to getting to Merreen.

I've seen a few posts commenting on this, I think its very interesting. That being said I don't want Marwyn to die without meeting Dany. I want to see her reaction to learning he taught MDM. Having been given Arrianne 1, considering Sam's POV and others I believe the prologue will be Highgarden. I believe this because I do not think we have gotten enough info out of Oldtown and I believe we will get a Sam chapter or 2 before it does. That being said I could also see an Alleras POV with her giving Sam some info about her identity and possibly other things before she dies, such as her knowing Pate isn't Pate. We could also be shown Alleras/Sam shoot Euron in his eye, I saw someone post that somewhere and loved it.

Boy, George R.R. Martin knows how to build anticipation. The acclaimed fantasy author is knee-deep into his hit series A Song of Ice and Fire but is taking his sweet time finishing up the latest book, The Winds of Winter. Luckily, to at least whet our appetite, he's finally released a tantalizing new sample chapter.

Martin's series was already acclaimed in fantasy circles, but skyrocketed to a new level of attention once HBO adapted it into the smash hit TV series Game of Thrones. But Martin hasn't let all the attention put his feet to the fire. He's always worked at his own pace, and doesn't plan on changing anytime soon.

No solid release date has been revealed for Winds of Winter, the sixth book in the proposed seven-volume saga, but many expect it to hit shelves late this year or at some point in 2014.

For now, let's just enjoy the shiny new chapter dubbed "Arianne," which focuses on the character of the same name. In typical Martin fashion, the sample chapter is pretty lengthy, meaning we at least get a good feel for what he's planning for the next installment.

So that sounds promising right? later this year or 2014!!! Ding Ding Ding

First post, just some random thoughts.

1. Marwyn reveals new knowledge about dragons and dragonglass to Sam. Basically Sam asking reasonably simple questions that the archmaester can expand on and repute any false "signs" or strategy. Perhaps a question sticks in Marwyns' mind and as he goes to research it in some lost book has hasn't read or considered in some time that holds the information. After reading it and experiencing an "Ah-Ha" moment, Faceless Pate is there unexpectedly and kills him for the same info.

2. Ghost north of the wall. Experiencing the changes beyond the wall, such as wildlings migrating to the wall and the rise/march of the Others, from the direwolf's perspective could provide hints at a Stark children reunion(feeling other direwolves' presence or lack thereof), jon's current state through foggy memories, how close/dangerous the army of Others has become and their threat to the Wall/realm. Not to mention a much needed exhale on the fate of Lord Commander Snow.

3. Tom O' Sevens in Riverrun. I just reread AFFC and the last Jaime chapter has him talking to a singer who is going to stay in Riverrun after Jaime and the siege forces leave. He casually tells Jaime his name and Jaime doesn't think twice about it. Tom is a member of the BWB and could set up a "Trojan Fish" scenario for the BWB killing new Lord of Riverrun Emmon Frey (which killing Freys is their MO) as well as Lannisters. This is sort of a curve ball idea but came to mind going through this thread.

These are just opinions of mine that I think would be cool to read. I do concur that a maester prologue from south of the Wall is due up next in the pattern and is probably the safe bet. Just throwing out some ideas that haven't been touched on yet in this thread.

why that would be wasteful! i'd rather the intro be somewhere where the action is heating up the most maybe it's not in the north. and anyways we'd have mel to be the pov that covers jons death

Completely agree I will be very disappointed if the prologue takes place somewhere where a pov character is located. However if there is a surprise appearance by a pov character such as one coming out of nowhere and kicking ass I would not be upset.

First post, just some random thoughts.

2. Ghost north of the wall. Experiencing the changes beyond the wall, such as wildlings migrating to the wall and the rise/march of the Others, from the direwolf's perspective could provide hints at a Stark children reunion(feeling other direwolves' presence or lack thereof), jon's current state through foggy memories, how close/dangerous the army of Others has become and their threat to the Wall/realm. Not to mention a much needed exhale on the fate of Lord Commander Snow.

3. Tom O' Sevens in Riverrun. I just reread AFFC and the last Jaime chapter has him talking to a singer who is going to stay in Riverrun after Jaime and the siege forces leave. He casually tells Jaime his name and Jaime doesn't think twice about it. Tom is a member of the BWB and could set up a "Trojan Fish" scenario for the BWB killing new Lord of Riverrun Emmon Frey (which killing Freys is their MO) as well as Lannisters. This is sort of a curve ball idea but came to mind going through this thread.

These are just opinions of mine that I think would be cool to read. I do concur that a maester prologue from south of the Wall is due up next in the pattern and is probably the safe bet. Just throwing out some ideas that haven't been touched on yet in this thread.

I really think a ghost prologue would be kind of weird and cliche; not really a fan of the idea.

As for the Riverrun idea, I have always loved it. They could fit it with the whole Maester idea by having the prologue be that of the Maester at Riverrun as the BWB attack.

Bowen Marsh would be perfect. It would give us a chance to see the other side of the Night's Watch, their plans and what not, and give us the full after effects of the chaos to ensue -- the Night's Watch and Wildlings fighting, giants rampaging, the remaining queen's men, and add some wights at the last moment and we have one hell of a prologue. And of course, Bowen Marsh would die so there's that too.

Besides Bowen, Hardhome would be my next choice.

Archived