Samwell Tarly

rjpraider

Sam is one of the best characters in the books and the show, John Bradley is so good at playing this guy you can't help but feel sorry for and want to be friends with. It makes me happy that Sam has found that despite being a fat coward who can't fight (which is why his father hated him), he still is a kind, intelligent, funny and very valuable person who will be a Maester one day. I think one of his best scenes is when Sam is terrified because of the Others that are attacking the Fist, but he has his obsidian dagger, and he's got the voice of his father and Ser Alliser in his head, but then he hears Jon saying "you can do it, Sam", and then he kills the Other, saving his friend. It's just hard not to love him.

Also, Maesters aren't exactly wizards but the idea of him stood shouting lightning bolt in a wizard hat is hilarious :D I just hope Sam has a happy ending, I would cry if he had a bad one after his sad story which seems to be looking up for him.

Personally, I haven't read ADWD yet, but I am quite sure that no one is going to end with a happy ending in this series. IMDB has a quote from GRRM saying something like the end will be like snow drifting over a graveyard of tombstones...

Personally, I haven't read ADWD yet, but I am quite sure that no one is going to end with a happy ending in this series. IMDB has a quote from GRRM saying something like the end will be like snow drifting over a graveyard of tombstones...

He's kidding there. The most common description he's used for the ending of the series is 'bittersweet'.

He's kidding there. The most common description he's used for the ending of the series is 'bittersweet'.

Well the bitter I can understand clearly, but who is it actually 'sweet' for? The fans, the Lanisters, the Dragons, the North, the Others? Call me a cynic, but i don't think there will be anything sweet to the ending. He has pretty much had this series being built up for death.

Well the bitter I can understand clearly, but who is it actually 'sweet' for? The fans, the Lanisters, the Dragons, the North, the Others? Call me a cynic, but i don't think there will be anything sweet to the ending. He has pretty much had this series being built up for death.

We'll see, won't we?

I saw and interview with GRRM in which he said that he appreciates the structure of The Lord of the Rings, where the story begins with all the characters together, than the society falls apart and they form smaller groups, than smaller until the point that a lot of them are actually alone, and in the end they meet (or at least fight together for the same cause). He said that he would do something like that (if you remember all the characters, except for Dany, are at Winterfell at the beginning) but with with an not so happy ending for some characters (which meant for me that some would have happy endings and others wouldn't)

• 10 months later...

Pretty unlikely, since it seems there won't be many of them left at the end, with the way they've been dropping like flies.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 46 page 965

"I'm not so fat as I was before", Sam said defensively. The passage south had seen to that. All those watches, and nothing to eat but fruit and fish. Summer Islanders loved fruit and fish.

Archived