The Band of Nine and the Ninepenny War

OfTheNine

Hi everyone

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

After reading the official thread on the upcoming "the Princess and the Queen" I've become even more interested in the historical events of Westeros than before. As you can probably tell from my name I have an interest not only in the Ninepenny War, but in the Band of Nine themselves (Maelys the Monstrous seems like a character with so much potential of being awesome). Is it likely that we may find out who the other members of the Band of Nine are along with details of the war in the WoIaF companion book?

If this belongs in another thread that's already been going forgive me.

I'm interested in the War of the Ninepenny Kings as well. There are a few happenings during this war which can possibly extrapolate based on certain character,s ages and backstories.

- Illyrio in his youth was a famous Bravo and Sellsword so famed for his skill that he had a solid gold statue made for him by a famous sculptor. In the present day he has enough clout with the Golden Company to make secret deals and get them to break an important contract for his cause.

I think it is highly likely that at one time in his youth he served with the Golden Company, which explains his connections to them and his possible connections to the Blackfyre survivors.

- The Tattered Prince is of a similar age to Barristan. When he was 23 he was chosen as Prince of Pentos after the previous Prince had been ritually killed. The Prince of Pentos is ritually killed in this manner when something bad has befallen the city such as a crop failure or losing a war.

With the established facts of the Tattered Prince's age, this places his being chosen as Prince shortly after the War of the Ninepenny Kings. So what exactly happened in Pentos during this war? Was it one of the Band of Nine's targets and was losing this war the reason why the previous Prince was executed?

Archived