Small questions for ADwD, v.V

Angalin

The Epilogue of ADWD really freaked me out. I'm just about as anxious to find out that whole thing about Varys and his "little birds" as I am to find out what happens after Jon is stabbed. I also wondered if the 'little birds' are similar to the Unsullied in any way. Any ideas?

The Epilogue of ADWD really freaked me out. I'm just about as anxious to find out that whole thing about Varys and his "little birds" as I am to find out what happens after Jon is stabbed. I also wondered if the 'little birds' are similar to the Unsullied in any way. Any ideas?

The little birds have their tongues cut out, while the Unsullied only lose their manhoods.

Small question in another dimension - I just received this volume (Bantam Hardback like the others) I notice that in physical dimensions this book is physially smaller in height and width than the first 3 voumes. Has anyone else noticed this? Seems odd that the size of the hardbacks would change size.

Another question about Coldhands:

When he meets Sam he call him Brother (brother over here). Later with Bran they are chased by some men from the nights watch, he refer to them as "enemies" and kill them.

Odd?

They betrayed the LC in the mutiny, thus betraying the NW, thus not brothers anymore? Whereas Sam remained true.

There was one bit in ADwD that bugged me a little bit, what was the logic behind Arya's "face transplant"? and why could she not feel the difference on her own face? I thought about it for a while, since The Kindly Man never removed her own face, just cut above the eyebrow, then slipped the face on. Was this a proper procedure? Or was a healthy dose of magic involved?

There was one bit in ADwD that bugged me a little bit, what was the logic behind Arya's "face transplant"? and why could she not feel the difference on her own face? I thought about it for a while, since The Kindly Man never removed her own face, just cut above the eyebrow, then slipped the face on. Was this a proper procedure? Or was a healthy dose of magic involved?

It was not a proper procedure - they didn't cut her face off and replace it with a new one, they just made some cut (for blood magic purposes I believe) and attached the new one on top of her old one.

The facechanging business is most interesting - to they have a cache of faces they can change into at will? Or maybe only their real one and a new one? Did Jaqen cut Pate's face off to change himself? What was important about the Arya transplant you are mentioning is, that it confirms, at least to me, that a FM has one "real" face as well as the fake ones.

Question about couple of assumptions being discussed on this board from ADWD. Can someone explain to me why:

1) There is a theory/assumption in the boards that Randyll Tarly about to rebel/go against Tyrells. I do not understand the reasoning behind and where in the book there are any hints that indicate that assumption. I just saw that he was unhappy with Cersei/Kevin and Lannisters overall - but so are most Tyrells and their bannermen.

2) I saw on the boards implying that Jon Snow and Aegon/Faegon might be twins. Where did that theory come from. There is a theory that L+R=J that I understand and that boy "Young Griff" is not true Aegon son of Rhaegar and Elia that I understand too. But where did Jon and Aegon twin theory come from?? Can anyone explain the reasoning behind it?

1) I think the idea behind that is that Tarly despises weakness and is in a position of strength, while Mace Tyrell is a bit of a blundering oaf. Tarly fought on the Targ side during the rebellion (as did the Tyrells though), so there is some speculation that he might be well placed to stab the Tyrells in the back to make Tarly the supreme house of the Reach.

But you are right: This is still all highly speculative.

2) I don't think that this theory has any serious following. People just love twins and come up with (sometimes admittedly cool) ideas about them, but there's no real evidence and the ages don't match up.

It was not a proper procedure - they didn't cut her face off and replace it with a new one, they just made some cut (for blood magic purposes I believe) and attached the new one on top of her old one.

The facechanging business is most interesting - to they have a cache of faces they can change into at will? Or maybe only their real one and a new one? Did Jaqen cut Pate's face off to change himself? What was important about the Arya transplant you are mentioning is, that it confirms, at least to me, that a FM has one "real" face as well as the fake ones.

perphaps the new face needed to be soaked in blood to work properly? so that it becomes indistinguishable, a part of you

A miscarriage seems likely (though there are also people who believe in a strong period or bleeding from illness), mainly due to the reason you mentioned.

If by 'prophecy' you mean Mirri's implication that Dany won't bear a living child again, then that's still unbroken (and generally, being able to conceive does not necessarily mean being able to carry the child to term).

Is Wyman Manderly Dead?

No.

Wyman's throat is nearly slit open but his knights intervene. He is treated by Maester Medrick for his wounds.[13]

There was also a great piece of foreshadowing, where someone says how if Wyman gets stabeed, his layers of fat won't let the blade kill him, and I think that's almost exactly what happened.

No.

Wyman's throat is nearly slit open but his knights intervene. He is treated by Maester Medrick for his wounds.[13]

There was also a great piece of foreshadowing, where someone says how if Wyman gets stabeed, his layers of fat won't let the blade kill him, and I think that's almost exactly what happened.

yea cuz i remember in the book, it says something like "and hosteen slice through 3 of his 4 chins" and they never actually said that he died

i kind of figured he didnt, just wanted to make sure

• 2 weeks later...