Small questions for ADwD, v.V

Angalin

In Brans 1st POV chapter in ADWD, when he is in Summer's skin, after dominated One Eye and the other 2 wolves (Varamyr's wolves), Summer notices the meat were men of the NW.

He went from man to man, sniffing, before settling on the biggest, a faceless

thing who clutched black iron in one hand. His other hand was missing, severed at the wrist, the stump

bound up in leather. Blood flowed thick and sluggish from the slash across his throat

Thats the quote from the chapter. Is that NW member someone we've come across previously? I can't quite seem to recall.

In Brans 1st POV chapter in ADWD, when he is in Summer's skin, after dominated One Eye and the other 2 wolves (Varamyr's wolves), Summer notices the meat were men of the NW.

He went from man to man, sniffing, before settling on the biggest, a faceless

thing who clutched black iron in one hand. His other hand was missing, severed at the wrist, the stump

bound up in leather. Blood flowed thick and sluggish from the slash across his throat

Thats the quote from the chapter. Is that NW member someone we've come across previously? I can't quite seem to recall.

They were the mutineers from Craster's Keep, among them Ollo Lophand.

Why is it that no one seems to be very concerned with Stannis' claim of Joff/Tommen/Myrcella's incestual origins? Granted, the Lannisters are still very powerful, and no one wants to buck them just yet, but shouldnt there be more widespread concern about this? He sent ravens to everyone!

I supposed the Queen of Thorns will figure out a way to twist that around to ditch Lannisters and retain the crown, but wouldnt anyone else care?

According to the viewpoint of Marsh: "...King Robert was well loved, and most men still accept that Tommen is his son. The more they see of Lord Stannis the less they love him, and fewer still are fond of the Lady Melisandre with her fires and this grim red god of hers. They complain."

If Cersei has two valonqars, why is she so sure it will be Tyrion who will kill her? hHe has obviously fled the city, and even she has noticed that Jaime has changed. I think her hatred for Tyrion makes it too obvious it wont be him to kill her in the end..

Like you said, Cersei hates Tyrion and same could be said to Tyrion about Cersei. Hate is enough reason why someone wants to kill someone. Jaime, on the other hand, loves her so there is no reason for her to think that he's going to kill her (well, he has changed so..)

I don't know whether this has been covered before but I can't find it, during the Margery/Cersei trial was it proven or said that Pycelle lied about brewing moon tea for Margery? I know that he is primarily loyal to the Lannisters so I presumed he was lying but just wondered was it said outright.

Cersei is looking for a way to destroy Margaery, who she believes is the "younger and more beautiful queen." One sweet way to do that is to frame her of adultery, but she needs some evidence. She thinks Pycelle is becoming less and less useful (to her cause); to make him useful again, she put his loyalty into question. She sort of accuse him of favoring the Tyrells over the Lannisters and pressure him to say good reason why Maid Margaery is in need of a maester so often then, especially before Loras went to Dragonstone. Is she unwell or something? When he realizes what Cersei wants to hear, he says Margaery asks for moon tea. And there, Cersei finally has the proof she could use to bring down the little queen.

Edited by Queen Visenya

Cersei is looking for a way to destroy Margaery, who she believes is the "younger and more beautiful queen." One sweet way to do that is to frame her of adultery, but she needs some evidence. She thinks Pycelle is becoming less and less useful (to her cause); to make him useful again, she put his loyalty into question. She sort of accuse him of favoring the Tyrells over the Lannisters and pressure him to say good reason why Maid Margaery is in need of a maester so often then, especially before Loras went to Dragonstone. Is she unwell or something? When he realizes what Cersei wants to hear, he says Margaery asks for moon tea. And there, Cersei finally has the proof she could use to bring down the little queen.

Thanks, I thought it was something like that.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I didn't see a thread for small questions regarding TWoW but I saw this mentioned a couple of times and feel stupid for not knowing what it is. What is the

Red Wedding

2.0 and who is supposed to be involved? Thanks!

Spoiler
There is a Frey Wedding due to be happening at the Twins, I believe. Many think that Stoneheart & the BwB will be crashing the party.

Sorry, I didn't see a thread for small questions regarding TWoW but I saw this mentioned a couple of times and feel stupid for not knowing what it is. What is the

Red Wedding

2.0 and who is supposed to be involved? Thanks!

Riverrun where Tom O'Sevens is.

His [Emmon Frey] hand came away red and slimy from he sourleaf. "To be sure. Riverrun is mine, and no man shall ever take it from me."

Compare that to the prophecy about the demise of the Witch-King Angmar: Far off yet is his doom, and not by the hand of man will he fall.

It won't be a man that takes Riverrun, but Lady Stoneheart.

Jaime's description of a dead Tywin: Bloody hell, he's grinning like a bridegroom at his bedding.

Daven Lannister is that kind of bridegroom.

The massacre will take place during the bedding, and Tom plays "The Wolf in the Night" which commemorated Robb's victory at the Battle of Oxcross.

When Arya is blind and doing her duties in the temple, she finds a dead young man with curly hair in front of the Stranger's shrine (making him most likely Westerosi) and he has 3 Golden Dragons (I think) on him, making him either a noble or else a merchant. I'm totally guessing on that, but GRRM is not known for putting subtly into his books for no purpose, so I kind of think this dead guy is important. I can't imagine who it could be though. The only person that comes to mind that's MIA and fits the description is Edric Storm. But I can't imagine why he'd have died, gone to the temple and then be found by Blind-Arya of all people. Unless she wears his face (possibly thinking it's Gendry) to return to Westeros. That would be pretty messed up though.

I keep thinking it is jaqen as pate. Cant figure out the time seqence. SHe also doesnt feel the scar.

In "The Prince of Winterfell" (US Hardcover p.485) Theon asks Lady Dustin why he is giving 'Arya' away and she replies "Her father is dead and all her brothers. Her mother perished at the Twins. Her uncles are lost or dead or captive." I'm probably reading way too much into this but the wording of the last line is a bit odd, yes? Brandon is clearly dead and Benjen is lost or presumed dead... Why did she randomly add the "captive" part? Perhaps she knows more about the fate of Benjen Stark than she is letting on.

Her Uncle Edmure is being held captive by the Lannisters and Freys

It was not a proper procedure - they didn't cut her face off and replace it with a new one, they just made some cut (for blood magic purposes I believe) and attached the new one on top of her old one.

The facechanging business is most interesting - to they have a cache of faces they can change into at will? Or maybe only their real one and a new one? Did Jaqen cut Pate's face off to change himself? What was important about the Arya transplant you are mentioning is, that it confirms, at least to me, that a FM has one "real" face as well as the fake ones.

I thought the blood flowing down her face had something to do with adhering the face to hers? Maybe the blood makes it "alive"? but so gross

I don't know whether this has been covered before but I can't find it, during the Margery/Cersei trial was it proven or said that Pycelle lied about brewing moon tea for Margery? I know that he is primarily loyal to the Lannisters so I presumed he was lying but just wondered was it said outright.

All we have heard so far in the books are accusations, leading to the arrests of Cersei and Margaery. The trials should be in TWOW. (nothing proven yet)

Theon & Jeyne escape from WF by leaping off the wall after passing through the Battlements Gate. On which side of WF is the Battlements Gate located? North, South, West? Also, Manderly is instructed by Bolton to leave from the east gate, which leads to the Kingsroad, & the Freys are to leave by the main gate. Which one is the main gate? The north gate or the south gate?

a bit off topic mayhap, and not truly relevant but...I was thinking about homosexuality in westeros, at the wall and in the free cities/Slaver's bay.

SPOILERS AHEAH FOR A DANCE WITH DRAGONS

In the Melissandre Chapter (p416 hardcover), the men of the night's watch discover the bodies of three rangers. One of them is a certain Garth. When Alf of Runnymudd, a queen's man, learns of Garth's death he "let out a howl loud enough to wake sleepers in the shadow tower" and Jon orders to "put him to bed and give him some mulled wine."

It seems pretty obvious to me, that the two men were involved. Anyway, did any one else ever think about homosexuality on the wall? and what other characters might be lovers that we have overlooked? it could give an interesting spin on some of the dynamics between night's watch brothers.

On another note, Jon's been accused of all kinds of 'evil feats' by his brothers and ennemies, so his friendship with Satin might also have caused some contempt...because even though homosexuality is a badly kept secret in westeros I think it's only tolerated as long as one keeps up appearances.

For the Iron Men (Victarion) it seems alright to "use a man as a woman" as long as one is the active participant (aggressor, in that case) in the act.

In Slaver's bay, it seems slightly different. Dany's reaction to Xaro, implies that homosexuality is not quite a taboo topic

"I am not so foolish as to wed a man who finds a fruit platter more enticing than my breast. I saw which dancers you were watching" she tells him. (p. 206.)

anyway, your thoughts on it?

Edited by Greymoon

I do think Garth and Alf of Runnymud did have a homosexual relationship given Alf's reaction. As for Satin, it's because he was a boy whore, and he would be regarded as the the lowest of the low for what he did being the one who catches.

Was Beth Cassel one of Ramsay's bitches or named for one? And where in Dance was she mentioned?

She isn't mentioned at all in Dance, and the last we heard of the actual Beth she was captured and taken to Dreadfort. I don't think anyone's been asking about those taken from Winterfell. I don't think any of Ramsay's dogs are named after her though, so she could still be alive.

Is there a possibility that when the targeryans invaded Westeros with their dragons, it woke up the WW? I'm basing this assumption on the plausible theory that the WW is the counter balance to the presence of dragons in Westeros, if so than its taken them 3 centuries to get from "The land of always winter" to the wall.