Small questions for ADwD, v.V

Angalin

Is there a possibility that when the targeryans invaded Westeros with their dragons, it woke up the WW? I'm basing this assumption on the plausible theory that the WW is the counter balance to the presence of dragons in Westeros, if so than its taken them 3 centuries to get from "The land of always winter" to the wall.

At the rate they''re advancing south I think it is unlikely that it took them three centuries to get to where they were since they would have to be extremely slow. I don't think they're to act as a counterbalance to the Others.

If Cersei has two valonqars, why is she so sure it will be Tyrion who will kill her? hHe has obviously fled the city, and even she has noticed that Jaime has changed. I think her hatred for Tyrion makes it too obvious it wont be him to kill her in the end..

I think it comes down to the fact that Cersei & Jaime are twins. Yes, technically one has to be born before the other, but most twins are born close in time together. Leaving out all the incest and hatred stuff, Cersei & Jaime's sibling relationship isn't like Cersei & Tyrion's, simply because she can remember a time when Tyrion wasn't around, and then bam! he was born. I honestly don't think it would ever occur to her that Jaime is her little brother, even though he was technically born after her, because they've been together since Day One.

Just as an addition to the above statement: Cersei's Maester claimed that Jamie came out of the womb clutching to her foot or something along those lines. While this shows he is a little brother, it could also be used to show that they were born basically as one person, and one is therefore not younger than the other.

As a side note. aren't the Starks siblings to Cersei by marriage?

Why was the Dragonstone outpost the only place outside of Valyria to have a dragon roost? Do dragons need to roost on the lips of volcanoes in order for their eggs to hatch?

The Targaryens were the only one of the Patrician families to emigrate from Valyria before the Doom. They took their dragons with them of course, but the other noble families all dwelled in Valyria, so that's where all the dragons were (during peacetime at least).

The Targaryens were the only one of the Patrician families to emigrate from Valyria before the Doom. They took their dragons with them of course, but the other noble families all dwelled in Valyria, so that's where all the dragons were (during peacetime at least).

Doesn't it strike you odd that the Targaryens decided to settle on a backwater island as far from Valyria as possible? Why do something like this?

Doesn't it strike you odd that the Targaryens decided to settle on a backwater island as far from Valyria as possible? Why do something like this?

Absolutely, it was an unorthodox move. It wasn't just random however: Daenys Targaryen (called 'The Dreamer') was a gifted prophetess and had visions that persuaded her father to move to Dragonstone. Turned out well for them.

Just finished reading ADWD and of course have lots of questions! I have been reading up on many threads here and such awesome info but there are still a couple of things I just don’t get or missed somewhere along the way.

Why hasn’t Tyrion gotten the grayscale? He fell in the water at the Sorrows, was touched by the stone man, probably drank some of that water too but came out unscathed? Meanwhile, I suspect Jon C got the grayscale while helping Tyrion out of that water. Is Tyrion protected somehow? Is it because Tyrion may not really be a Lannister and has dragon blood in him? (J+A=T theory) We know Dany hasn’t gotten sick throughout her whole ordeal which makes me believe dragon blood does protect against disease until her last pov chapter where it seems like she caught the flux from drinking that river water (very thirsty, bleeding, & has the runs).

[...]

Welcome to the forum, snowangel! :grouphug:

Viserys's Targaryen Superimmunity Illusion is most like just what the name says, an illusion. After all, there have been numerous Targs who've gotten all kinds of sick in the past (and an extra amount if you look at the prequel books). Dany didn't catch the Pale Mare despite contact with the people, but neither did Barristan, Grey Worm, Marselen, the Dothraki and the others named in that scene who all helped as well. And conversely, Jon Con got sick with Greyscale but not Tyrion, but infection is always kind of a roulette game: In equal circumstances, sometimes you get infected and sometimes not. There's a plot reason for Jon Con to get it (makes him agree to the accelerated conquest plan, makes his arc more tragic), but also a very good reason for Tyrion not to get it (don't lose the author's and many fans's favourite character).

What Dany has caught exactly in the last chapter is a subject of much debate. Many people (me included) believe that she had a miscarriage on top of all things (possibly triggered through eating the berries), but as I said, others believe differently (e.g. here).

Welcome to the forum, snowangel! :grouphug:

Viserys's Targaryen Superimmunity Illusion is most like just what the name says, an illusion. After all, there have been numerous Targs who've gotten all kinds of sick in the past (and an extra amount if you look at the prequel books). Dany didn't catch the Pale Mare despite contact with the people, but neither did Barristan, Grey Worm, Marselen, the Dothraki and the others named in that scene who all helped as well. And conversely, Jon Con got sick with Greyscale but not Tyrion, but infection is always kind of a roulette game: In equal circumstances, sometimes you get infected and sometimes not. There's a plot reason for Jon Con to get it (makes him agree to the accelerated conquest plan, makes his arc more tragic), but also a very good reason for Tyrion not to get it (don't lose the author's and many fans's favourite character).

What Dany has caught exactly in the last chapter is a subject of much debate. Many people (me included) believe that she had a miscarriage on top of all things (possibly triggered through eating the berries), but as I said, others believe differently (e.g. here).

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I don't have that much background info (didn't know about prequels) but it seems that the symptoms Martin describes Dany having are the exact same as the others dying of pale male. i.e. excessive drinking and diarrhea. It only happens after she drinks that muddy water/eats berries. D. thinks it's her "moon blood" but well she's soiled herself too. I still feel there has to be some significance to Tyrion falling into that water and not contracting grayscale. Martin goes to great details warning of the dangers in the Sorrows and then T's companions avoided him like the plague afterwards. I'll read that thread you suggested, thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

The last 2 sentences of the iron suitor, "he had seen the wench we'd too, but what of it? She would not be the first woman Vic had made a widow".

Who's this in reference too? Also if what's with the laughing and singing heard in the captains cabin when moqorro was fixing his hand?

May not be small questions now that I think about it but if someone can summarize or point me to a thread that can I would appreciate it.

n00b here. Just finished reading ADwD (though I first read AGoT way back in 1998)... and here's one (small) question I was left with as I finished the epilogue:

What are the chances that King Tommen is a warg?

"From soup to sweet Tommen burbled about the exploits of his kittens, whilst feeding them morsels of pike off his own royal plate. "The bad cat was outside my window last night," he informed Kevan at one point, "but Ser Pounce hissed at him and he ran off across the roofs."

"The bad cat?" Ser Kevan said, amused. He is a sweet boy.

"An old black tomcat with a torn ear," Cersei told him. "A filthy thing, and foul-tempered. He clawed Joffs hand once." She made a face. "The cats keep the rats down, I know, but that one ... he's been known to attack ravens in the rookery."

With the corollary question being... Whose bonded animal friend is that snooping old black tomcat? (Or is that one too obvious?) :)

Edited by The Snowfyre Chorus

n00b here. Just finished reading ADwD (though I first read AGoT way back in 1998)... and here's one (small) question I was left with as I finished the epilogue:

"From soup to sweet Tommen burbled about the exploits of his kittens, whilst feeding them morsels of pike off his own royal plate. "The bad cat was outside my window last night," he informed Kevan at one point, "but Ser Pounce hissed at him and he ran off across the roofs."

"An old black tomcat with a torn ear," Cersei told him. "A filthy thing, and foul-tempered. He clawed Joffs hand once." She made a face. "The cats keep the rats down, I know, but that one ... he's been known to attack ravens in the rookery."

With the corollary question being... Whose bonded animal friend is that snooping old black tomcat? (Or is that one too obvious?) :)

Rhaenys warged her cat prior to death and lives on in him (Bealerion). It is known. ;)

Personally don't see Tommen as a warg

The last 2 sentences of the iron suitor, "he had seen the wench we'd too, but what of it? She would not be the first woman Vic had made a widow".

Who's this in reference too?

This referred to Dany. Moqorro has seen Dany as wed in her flames (correctly, Dany wed Hizdahr), but Vicky shrugs it off, planning to widow her (i.e. kill Hizdahr) so that she's available again.

Also if what's with the laughing and singing heard in the captains cabin when moqorro was fixing his hand?

May not be small questions now that I think about it but if someone can summarize or point me to a thread that can I would appreciate it.

This is less clear, but the laughter during the hand healing was described as wild and mad. Maybe it was Vicky due to the pain or some hallucinogen or such, maybe it was Moqorro who transformed himself into some magic wielding state of ectasy. The singing later was described as wailing and said to be High Valyrian. It was probably Moqorro and part of a spell.

When Tyrion was of Rhoyne river on boat with Griff and Young Griff at Sorrows, why did River flow backwards first passing the bridge and then turning back and passing it again? Rivers don't usually do that unless there is a major event like earthquake, earthslide, hurricane level winds or magic?

I thought that the bridge was really long and the river pasted under it then makes a sharp U-turn and then flows under it again, right next to where it had just passed under So the current doesn't Flip directions the river just turns back under the Bridge again with a narrow strip of land in-between

If that Makes Sence

Heres a Map \/ \/

====|||===\\\\\oooo

oooo|||oooo )))0000

====|||===/////0000

Edited by Jon Snow-Targaryen

Who's this in reference too? Also if what's with the laughing and singing heard in the captains cabin when moqorro was fixing his hand?

In his talk before that Victarion says that he laughs in the face of pain, which explains his laughter :) I'll dig out the quote when I can find it

At the rate they''re advancing south I think it is unlikely that it took them three centuries to get to where they were since they would have to be extremely slow. I don't think they're to act as a counterbalance to the Others.

Could the Doom of Valyria be responsible though?

The Lannister's came to Westeros with the Andals, Wargs come from the First Men

No Lannister has any form of magic as of yet

A question of curiosity and I don't know if it even been bought up yet

So Dany burns drogo while he was still alive or still in a vegetable state... Was that a sacrifice that she unknowingly pays to hatch the dragon eggs??

I'm just throwing it out there

No she smothered him with a pillow in her previous POV before giving him to the pyre.