Small questions for ADwD, v.V

Angalin

As Melisandre is guessing and no such battle had taken place ter as of the end of Dance, we don't know yet.

Perhaps there are some theories about this.

Some ideas floated around are Eastwatch (based on Mel's belief) Oldtown (based on Euron) Hardhome, and I also quite like the idea of Sea Dragon Point

Two quick things:

Do we know Daario's age?

And for the first time I wound up in a different-looking version of the forum, blue and white instead of beige and light blue, and the layout was different as well. This may be the wrong thread (don't know where else to ask, apologies) and a stupid question to boot, but forgive a noob his transgression(s) please cuz I was I able to use the Quote button in the blue-and-white version (for some reason I'm having trouble with it.) Help please :)

Two quick things:

Do we know Daario's age?

And for the first time I wound up in a different-looking version of the forum, blue and white instead of beige and light blue, and the layout was different as well. This may be the wrong thread (don't know where else to ask, apologies) and a stupid question to boot, but forgive a noob his transgression(s) please cuz I was I able to use the Quote button in the blue-and-white version (for some reason I'm having trouble with it.) Help please :)

Blue and white sounds like the mobile version of the forum, so perhaps that's it. The quote function should work there as well, though.

About Daario, we don't have an age indication for Jorah, though, IIRC, he is most certainly younger than Jorah, who is roughly 45 years old in 298AC.

He lied that Jon is his son.

Travex means what lie did Ned use for Lyanna's death, if we assume she in fact died as a result of childbirth. Its quite an interesting question actually, because Ned obviously couldn't say that she gave birth and died

My question is about (Jon, as) Ghost's thoughts about only four of the original litter of dire wolves being alive, although there's one of the four that he can "no longer sense." He goes on to talk about Nymeria, sensing that his "little sister lifted her head to sing at the moon." He also thinks of Summer, his "grey brother who smelled of summer" who he knows is on the other side of The Wall. Why can't he sense Shaggydog? He knows Lady and Grey Wind have died, so I don't think Shaggy's dead, but why would Ghost no longer be able to sense him?

My question is about (Jon, as) Ghost's thoughts about only four of the original litter of dire wolves being alive, although there's one of the four that he can "no longer sense." He goes on to talk about Nymeria, sensing that his "little sister lifted her head to sing at the moon." He also thinks of Summer, his "grey brother who smelled of summer" who he knows is on the other side of The Wall. Why can't he sense Shaggydog? He knows Lady and Grey Wind have died, so I don't think Shaggy's dead, but why would Ghost no longer be able to sense him?

You missed one:

Far off, he could hear his packmates calling to him, like to like. They were hunting too. A wild rain lashed down upon his black brother as he tore at the flesh of an enormous goat, washing the blood from his side where the goat’s long horn had raked him. In another place, his little sister lifted her head to sing to the moon, and a hundred small grey cousins broke off their hunt to sing with her. The hills were warmer where they were, and full of food. Many a night his sister’s pack gorged on the flesh of sheep and cows and horses, the prey of men, and sometimes even on the flesh of man himself.

The "black brother" is Shaggydog, whose fur is black.

The "little sister" is Nymeria.

Later a few sentences later, we get:

The white wolf ran from it, racing toward the cave of night where the sun had hidden, his breath frosting in the air. On starless nights the great cliff was as black as stone, a darkness towering high above the wide world, but when the moon came out it shimmered pale and icy as a frozen stream. The wolf’s pelt was thick and shaggy, but when the wind blew along the ice no fur could keep the chill out. On the other side the wind was colder still, the wolf sensed. That was where his brother was, the grey brother who smelled of summer.

The grey brother smelling like summer is indeed Summer, who is described as being on the other side of the Wall (later on we read how Jon finds Ghost south of the Wall). Ghost knows that Summer is on the other side of the Wall... But he just can't sense him anymore.

:)

You missed one:

The grey brother smelling like summer is indeed Summer, who is described as being on the other side of the Wall (later on we read how Jon finds Ghost south of the Wall). Ghost knows that Summer is on the other side of the Wall... But he just can't sense him anymore.

Okay, got it. I always miss something! ;)

You missed one:

Okay, got it. I always miss something! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

A couple queries: does it not seem entirely possible that the Others just go around the Wall by means of watercraft, or more likely, just by freezing the water that skirts the Wall and walking around? GRRM put the Wall by the sea, so this just seems like a glaringly obvious fault to me.

Also, the sex of Dany's dragons? I wouldn't expect her to know their genders at birth, but she named them after males. Could it be possible, and wouldn't it be likely, that at least one of them is female? I can't say whether or not GRRM intends for the dragons to survive, but 3 males doesn't bode well for the future of dragons; in fact, it seems pretty bleak. That is, unless Dany mistakenly named one..

A couple queries: does it not seem entirely possible that the Others just go around the Wall by means of watercraft, or more likely, just by freezing the water that skirts the Wall and walking around? GRRM put the Wall by the sea, so this just seems like a glaringly obvious fault to me.

Also, the sex of Dany's dragons? I wouldn't expect her to know their genders at birth, but she named them after males. Could it be possible, and wouldn't it be likely, that at least one of them is female? I can't say whether or not GRRM intends for the dragons to survive, but 3 males doesn't bode well for the future of dragons; in fact, it seems pretty bleak. That is, unless Dany mistakenly named one..

It has been theorized that Others could indeed make seas (or part of seas) freeze to make landbridges. I believe one of the reasons behind this thinking is that Azor Ahai is likely an eastern figure, yet Mel seems convinced he fought Others - so it seems reasonable to think they got to Essos at some point.

Since they are sentient and have a technology that sometimes surpasses mankind's (basass swords and camouflage armor and whatnot), I for one think they could very well have boats of some sort, too.

That being said, the Wall is magic, and has some sort of ward around it; surely it expends at least a little into the sea?

As for the dragons' sex, it seems dragons change theirs during their lifespan (like some animals on Earth do). Aemon says so to Sam during his "Dany is AA reborn" tirade.