Small questions for ADwD, v.V

Angalin

Could you then perhaps link the message you were talking about? ;)

Okay. You got easy ones like these:

... and he's taught me fear.

I've tied the last kraken up in knots, only to have another swarm up from the depths.

Aiieeee.

Talking about Victarion and Asha?

Will this damned snow ever cease?

Might be, might be. Saw a sliver of sun last night.

(Oh, it's a gorgeous sunny happy day in Santa Fe. Just not out on Skull Island).

Wrestling with a pair of krakens. One almost subdued, t'other still writhing and twisting and slapping me alongside the head with her tenatcles. After them, I've got a wolf to face.

These ones are easy too. And then posts like these:

Another chapter done.

And another character. This wraps up Yogi for the book. The Meereenese knot is hanging by a thread. One more good slash and it may finally part.

That's eight characters completed. Not counting the prologue or epilogue.

Course, there's still more to due. Got to get back to shoveling Snow soon, and there's still Fred hanging on, but first I need to hack at that blasted knot some more.

(Some year all this will make sense to you. Assuming anyone still cares).

Who are Yogi and Fred here? No clues.

Perhaps for the next month it is my fate to wrestle Dumbo. How am I gonna beat Dumbo? He FLIES.

I actually had a very good day today, writing about a character who wasn't originally supposed to be a POV, but has turned out to be sharpest sword I've got for slicing through the Meereenese knot. I'd feel very good about that, except somehow it has become AUGUST. With worldcon bearing down on me like a freight train

Who is Dumbo? He flies? Daenerys? Aegon?

Still have that final Fred chapter to finish. Sometimes it's good to change gears, though, so I did that today, and completed the last Barney chapter.

So that's one more viewpoint done with, at least.

If only I didn't have so many of them...

No fucking clue what he is talking about.

Finally, might mention that I finished a chapter of the DANCE today. I had one last chapter about this particular character -- I will call him Fred -- to finish, and then I am done with him for the book. Of course, in the writing, it turned into three chapters. So I finished a Fred chapter a week ago, and a Fred chapter an hour ago, and yet I STILL have one Fred chapter to finish. Sigh. The horizon recedes continuously before me.

This one could be solved. Anyone have any ideas? Somehow sounds to me like Melisandre, don't know why...

Pat's just died. A quick death, but a messy one. Ugly, painful, humiliating. But hey, he earned it.

Quentyn Martell. Must be.

This one could be solved. Anyone have any ideas? Somehow sounds to me like Melisandre, don't know why...

I have no idea either, except I really don't want to think of Mel as a Fred. We only had one chapter of hers anyway, and I doubt any were pushed to Dream since the stabbing is such a nice cliffhanger.

Your comments were hilarious, by the way.

I wish he'd do the same with Winds, that'd make for some fun speculation.

Edited by Roddy DaRwin

Okay. You got easy ones like these:

Talking about Victarion and Asha?

These ones are easy too. And then posts like these:

If I have to guess, Yogi might be Jorah (and thus the Tyrion storyline), since perhaps Togi refers to Yogi Bear? (sounds a bit silly, I know)

The "Fred" chapter was supposed to be one chapter, but then got another one, and another one. Perhaps Barristan? He has three chapters following each other closely at the end of Dance.

Barney (from Fred and Barney, or another Barney?), I wouldn't know.

Dumbo could be Victarion.. GRRM has admitted he believes Vic to be dumb.

The "sharpest sword slashing through the Meereenese knot", who wasn't supposed to be a POV. That might be Barristan. In which case the Fred might be Quentyn, but I doubt that Quentyn is Fred, to be honest.

It sounds to me like "Fred" had one chapter expanded to three, which suggests the chapters should be following each other quickly in story telling. If Fred is truly Fred Flinstone, then which character counts as accident-prone, quick to anger, but a loving family man? JonCon? But JonCon only had 2 chapters. Theon? I can't say the description fits Theon.

If Barney is from Fred and Barney, the two storylines should be together somehow..

And Pat... I wouldn't say he earned his death, so perhaps Pat isn't a POV character, but simply someone else who died. It's entirely possible some of these hinds are about chapters we haven't read yet, that we pushed into Winds. In that case, I'd like to think Pat could have been Rafford, who dies in Mercy. Quentyn's death wasn't a quick one. It took him 3 or 4 days.

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

Pat could have been Pycelle...Quick death but messy.

And I think you mean Rafford, not Amory ;)

ETA: Dumbo could be Bran, who can "fly". It could have been Fred, but I doubt he only.intended one chapter there

Edited by HelenaAndTheMachine

I just finished the dance with dragons. I have question, during the siege of mereen by the yunkai there's talk that two iron legions out of New Ghis have arrived, GRRM doesn't elaborate much. Are the iron legions like the unsulled? whats their history?

(I know thats 2-3 questions, but humor me anyways).

I just finished the dance with dragons. I have question, during the siege of mereen by the yunkai there's talk that two iron legions out of New Ghis have arrived, GRRM doesn't elaborate much. Are the iron legions like the unsulled? whats their history?

All it says is that the two iron legions are trained in the same fashions as the Unsullied. Don't know how much alike the trainings were (like, if they were also cut). There's nothing more one this at the moment.

And Pat... I wouldn't say he earned his death, so perhaps Pat isn't a POV character, but simply someone else who died. It's entirely possible some of these hinds are about chapters we haven't read yet, that we pushed into Winds. In that case, I'd like to think Pat could have been Rafford, who dies in Mercy. Quentyn's death wasn't a quick one. It took him 3 or 4 days.

yeah, i agree. I really hoped that Quentin would ride atleast one of the dragons, the chapter title was awesome. "The dragon tamer"

People tend not to like the Quentyn chapters,or any of the Dorne chapters. I enjoyed them very much, and was a little sad when Quentyn died.

Mostly though, I'm fearing for Doran now:

“I was the oldest,” the prince said, “and yet I am the last.

I am really hoping this isn't foreshadowing that Doran will survive the rest of his family.. Oberyn and Quentyn dying was bad enough..

Maester Aemon, asks Sam tarly to tell him about the qualities of stannis' so called lightbringer, is it giving out heat, is the scabbard scorched/ burned, Is the sword just giving out light as compared to light and heat.

Melisandre must know that the sword stannis carries is not the real light bringer, so my question is that why doesn't she help stannis find the real lightbringer, also does stannis knows that his sword is not the real lightbringer or he is being fooled by Melisandre.

Maester Aemon, asks Sam tarly to tell him about the qualities of stannis' so called lightbringer, is it giving out heat, is the scabbard scorched/ burned, Is the sword just giving out light as compared to light and heat.

Melisandre must know that the sword stannis carries is not the real light bringer, so my question is that why doesn't she help stannis find the real lightbringer, also does stannis knows that his sword is not the real lightbringer or he is being fooled by Melisandre.

We know from her POV chapter Mel sincerely believes Stannis is AAR.

Azor Ahai having Lightbringer is "only" a prophecy, so it can be interpreted in many ways. I think Mel believes what matters is that AAR has a Lightbringer, not necessarly the very one the original Azor Ahai bore, if it even exists. Maybe she also thinks one can make prophecies come true. By giving a Lightbringer to Stannis, even if she knows perfectly well it's just a glamor, she ticks one more box on the "Getting AA to get reborn list".

It's really hard to know just how much Stannis believes in/cares about the whole thing, imo. I think he definitely didn't take it seriously before a certain point, but now...

I'll ask here because I don't know where else. Is there a thread in here where people talk about parallels between Red God and The Great Other magic? Stuff like resurrections and all that...

I've used search but can't find anything

Edited by Zarafrustra

I'll ask here because I don't know where else. Is there a thread in here where people talk about parallels between Red God and The Great Other magic? Stuff like resurrections and all that...

Heresy threads sometimes discuss this, but it's a lot to search through.

History of Westeros probably have a video on it too. Or they were planning one anyway

Just came upon this and thought of you:

Father on, two legions from New Ghis were facing off shield wall to shield wall whilst serjeants in iron halfhelms with horsehair crests screamed commands in their own incomprehensible dialect. To the naked eye the Ghiscari looked more formidable than the Yunkish slave soldiers, but Tyrion nursed doubts. The legionaries might be armed and organized in the same manner as Unsullied... But the eunuchs knew no other life, whereas the Ghiscari were free citizens who served for three-year terms.

aDwD 56 (Tyrion XI)

I'm about positive it the same Iron Legions we heard about. So, since they're "just" citizens, I highly doubt they're cut. :P