Small questions for ADwD, v.V

Angalin

if she miscarried, it means her womb had quickened. and a lot of things would have happened if that happens, including the return of khal drogo.

Drogon is named for Drogo. If it is Drogo's death that gave life to Drogon, in a way, Drogo returned to Dany.

Because the miscarriage triggers thoughts in Dany's head that remind her who she really is, and when she finds her true self again, Drogon returns to her side.

If Dany doesn't get burned when she walks into Khal Drogo's pyre, how come she is recovering from burns in ADWD?

Simple.. Targaryens are not immune to fire. Dany walking into the flames and surviving was a one time, magical, event. Look at all the other Targaryens who were burned: Aerion, Aegon I, Baelor Breakspear (and every other cremated Targaryen), Aegon V, princess Rhaenys, Aegon II, Viserys III.

Dany is no exception on her family.

In the first Jon chapter maybe, he dreams of 'his brother fighting a horned horse'. Most of us reckon this is Ghost dreaming Shaggydog in Skagos, fighting a unicorn. Why doesn't Jon or Arya ever dream of Summer or Shaggydog near Bran or Rickon? Arya saw deat Catelyn through Nymeria, why doesn't she see live Bran or Rickon? Bran at least is North of the Wall. But what about Rickon?

In the first Jon chapter maybe, he dreams of 'his brother fighting a horned horse'. Most of us reckon this is Ghost dreaming Shaggydog in Skagos, fighting a unicorn. Why doesn't Jon or Arya ever dream of Summer or Shaggydog near Bran or Rickon? Arya saw deat Catelyn through Nymeria, why doesn't she see live Bran or Rickon? Bran at least is North of the Wall. But what about Rickon?

In that case, why doesn't Arya dream about Ghost?

As you said, Bran is north of the Wall, so a barrier went up between him and his other siblings. For the rest..they dream about one another from time to time. There isn't a real patter that I have been able to find.

In the last chapter with Arya, i don't understand the thing about the coin. Why isin't she killing the old man?

She gave him a poisoned coin, knowing he would bite it.

Yes. I'll just add to that, its the same way Pate is killed in a Feast for Crows prologue

My question is about the Umbers. Whorsebane and Giantsbane, which are uncles to the Greatjon, Correct? One uncle sided with bolton the other with stannis. Which one is which?

And then one shows up outside winterfell and that's who is blowing the horns and find theon and jeyne pool, but where did that umber come from? I remember talk throughout the book that Karstark was going to meet up with (and betray) Stannis, but i dont remember any strategy talk about the umber uncle. And why did he go straight to winterfell? Karstark met up with stannis at the village by the lakes, could umber just not find him? Risky for umber cause what happens if stannis never shows up...

Brings up another question, at the end of one of Asha's chapters she wakes up and finds it strange and eerie that no trumpets/wake up call were souned etc, there is an ominous air about things, and the chapter just ends. Next time we go back to Asha nothing really happened from that, was the point of that ending to the previous Asha chapter simply to signify that the march had come to a halt? If the iron banker and ironborn accompanying him can get to winterfell all the way from deepwood and then find stannis, why cant stannis make the three day march to winterfell? Has to be better than the 19 days or whatever they were that they had been held up at the village by the lakes...

My question is about the Umbers. Whorsebane and Giantsbane, which are uncles to the Greatjon, Correct? One uncle sided with bolton the other with stannis. Which one is which?

Actually, Giantsbane is no Umber, but Tormund, who interacts with Jon Snow North of the wall and at the wall.

The Umbers are Mors Crowfood Umber and Hother Whoresbane Umber.

Hother is inside Winterfell with a levy of Old Men Gone Hunting for Roose Bolton, while Mors is outside with a flock of green boys blowing horns and beating drums to be psychologically "besieging" Winterfell.

To me the Umbers make it very clear they send the past, the old men, ready to die in whatever way (possibly soon to be turning snowmen, openly revolting?) in order to keep face with the Boltons if they must and then teach their young folk to fight the Boltons in order to shape the future.

The thing about The Winds of Winter Theon chapter should be in spoiler tags.

and find theon and jeyne pool

Mors Crowfood Umber and his "green boys".

Why both of them went to WF? They thought there was no choice. Openly revolting against Bolton might bring all of the Realm against them. Supporting the Boltons would bring them the worst in other ways. So they keep face friendly and try to bring the Boltons down later. I think they would have made their plans without Stannis. They will need to secure their future with or without Stannis who may or may not play a role in bringing down Bolton rule.

If the iron banker and ironborn accompanying him can get to winterfell all the way from deepwood and then find stannis, why cant stannis make the three day march to winterfell? Has to be better than the 19 days or whatever they were that they had been held up at the village by the lakes...

The Iron banker has immunity, is healthy, with horses and well provisioned.

Stannis and his army are dying, starving, freezing to death, decompose psychologically, fight each other

and start eating corpses

Edited by Jon Weirgaryen

Thanks.

But why do you think the umbers went directly to winterfell instead of meeting up with Stannis? I understand why one umber faction is with Bolton and the other not. I dont get why the faction outside of winterfell is there treatening battle without any support from stannis and not knowing if stannis will come or not.

I think it is not Stannis they care a lot for. They may care for the King in the North. And if they don't, they are more a united against the Boltons and other Southerners (seeing the Boltons as what they are and as the long arm of the Lannisters, hence Southerners).

Stannis to them probably is someone to treat or deal with later.
Just another starving and freezing alien. At least for the moment.

To return to the realm of reasoning: as long as the Boltons are inside Winterfell, there's not too much the Umbers can do. Should Stannis be the bait to get them out, let him.

Should he die outside the walls, better not having chosen his side then.

No need for alliances outside the circle of Northern houses - at least not yet.

ok thanks that makes a lot more sense. I wonder how many men the umber that's outside the walls has with him.

if manderly's choose this oppurtunity to go over to Stannis its would be complicated. They leave winterfell and find umber, who's not for stannis but is against Bolton... That could actually work out because Davos, as we know of, hasn't yet found Rickon, so they dont want to go to Stannis prematurely. Joining with Umbers outside of Winterfell may be just the thing.

Simple.. Targaryens are not immune to fire. Dany walking into the flames and surviving was a one time, magical, event. Look at all the other Targaryens who were burned: Aerion, Aegon I, Baelor Breakspear (and every other cremated Targaryen), Aegon V, princess Rhaenys, Aegon II, Viserys III.

Dany is no exception on her family.

Hmm, so how come then the dragon fire doesn't kill her considering dragon fire is hotter than regular fire? As I see it, GRRM stuffed up a bit here. When she walked into the funeral pyre I thought that meant she was a special Targaryen, not like the others who were not really dragon-like.

Why then is her skin recovering from burns in the aftermath?

Let's face it, GRRM didn't think it through.

Blasphemy! :)

No, it is the following and the heat of Drogon's body burning her hands and thighs:

Daenerys Targaryen vaulted onto the dragon's back, seized the spear, and ripped it out. The point was half-melted, the iron red-hot, glowing.

ADwD 52 Daenerys IX (end of chapter)

The rocks had scraped her hands raw. They are better than they were, though, she decided as she picked at a broken blister. Her skin was pink and tender, and a pale milky fluid was leaking from her cracked palms, but her burns were healing.

ADwD 71 Daenerys X (top of the chapter)