Small questions for ADwD, v.V

Angalin

Is the definition of valonquar implied? I see so many theories of who the valonquar is, and most are based on the OP's perceived definition of the word. Is the definition of the word known without a doubt?

No, there are just so many possibilities for a little brother... and whose little brother at that?

There's something on that in Radio Westeros E12 Jaime & Cersei - Two Halves of a Whole if you'd like to listen in.

Edited by Jon Weirgaryen

Actually, the definition IS known without a doubt (little brother). It's the interpretation people give to that definition that differs so widely. (Which I think is what JW was saying actually but never mind, I typed it now)

Will dig out the quote that tells us what it means. Think it's Taena or Qyburn talking with Cersei where we find out

Edit: relevant quote

The maegi. The words came tumbling out of her. She could still hear Melara Hetherspoon insisting that if they never spoke about the prophecies, they would not come true. She was not so silent in the well, though. She screamed and shouted. Tyrion is the valonqar, she said. Do you use that word in Myr? Its High Valyrian, it means little brother. She had asked Septa Saranella about the word, after Melara drowned.

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/-Feast-Crows-Song-Ice-Fire/book-ujvzh11U2UGugEtZgc3PUg/page1.html?utm_campaign=TextQuotesIOS&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=App_Acq

Edited by HelenaExMachina

Maybe this doesn't fit here, but do we have a place for a reread of Dance?

Hmm, the Re-Read Project forum.

Anyways, I would not, if possible, reread A Dance with Dragons, but rather re-read both A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons in the proper intertwined chapter order. In fact, I've done it once, and will do again soon...

Hmm, the Re-Read Project forum.

Anyways, I would not, if possible, reread A Dance with Dragons, but rather re-read both A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons in the proper intertwined chapter order. In fact, I've done it once, and will do again soon...

That's how I'm reading it. Reread forum is thru book 3 when I checked.

Edited by Mother of Dragons

Thanks, I'll see if there is anything there that looks organized.

Most re-read projects pick one or two POVs for a re-read, and a few pick a non-POV.

The idea is to shed a light on their particular story, by concentrating on it.

There seems to be no full re-read thread yet (unless I overlooked it).

You may want to create one yourself?

Most re-read projects pick one or two POVs for a re-read, and a few pick a non-POV.

The idea is to shed a light on their particular story, by concentrating on it.

There seems to be no full re-read thread yet (unless I overlooked it).

You may want to create one yourself?

Thanks for the advice, I'll organize a post and put a feeler out there for interest.

• 4 weeks later...

In the prologue of Feast Jaqen kills Pate with a poisoned coin. Later we see Arya use the very same technic, is something here or just coincidence ?

Highly unlikely that this is a coincidence... Did you notice something in the last Samwell chapter of Feast as well?

While Pate dies at the end of Feasts prologue, by the time of the last Sam chapter in Feast, he's walking, talking, and drawing breath again... Or is he? ;) The Arya chapters show us that poisoning the coin that the target is supposed to bite in is one of the subtle ways the Faceless Men kill, and taking over someone else's face (in this case, Pate's) is something the FM do as well.

In addition, Arya's target dies in the exact same way that Pate described when he dies..

Coincidence? I think not..

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not a DwD question, but a question that nags me: So in Game of Thrones, it looks at first at if the Lannisters sent the guy with the dagger to kill Bran after he was thrown from the tower. Later, we come to understand that it was Littlefinger.

Why? What is his motivation there? Keeping the Lannisters in power? I don't think I've ever really understood it.

Not a DwD question, but a question that nags me: So in Game of Thrones, it looks at first at if the Lannisters sent the guy with the dagger to kill Bran after he was thrown from the tower. Later, we come to understand that it was Littlefinger.

Why? What is his motivation there? Keeping the Lannisters in power? I don't think I've ever really understood it.

Making sure the Starks and Lannisters go to war as soon as possible.

In order to have LF profit from the ensuing chaos.

You are talking about the guy who tried to kill Bran?

We're told it was

Joffrey

who send the guy, not

Cersei and/or Jaime and/or Tyrion

as Catelyn suspects,

LF was responsible for

Joffrey's death

later on.

You are talking about the guy who tried to kill Bran?

We're told it was

Joffrey

who send the guy, not

Cersei and/or Jaime and/or Tyrion

as Catelyn suspects,

LF was responsible for

Joffrey's death

later on.

Indeed but more specifically LF

pins the ownership of the dagger on Tyrion, taking advantage of the opportunity to create more suspicion/conflict between the Starks/Lannisters

ETA: Sorry @jon w just realized my post just reiterates what you already said. :)

Edited by Touch of Dawn