Small questions for ADwD, v.V

Angalin

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Bran looked up calmly. “His name is Summer,” he said.

~AGOT, Chapter 17, Bran III

On the other side the wind was colder still, the wolf sensed. That was where his brother was, the grey brother who smelled of summer.

~Jon's wolf dream, ADWD, Chapter 3, Jon I

At Queenscrown, one had come out of the darkness to save Jon’s life. Summer, it had to be. His fur was grey, and Shaggydog is black. He wondered if some part of his dead brothers lived on inside their wolves.

~Jon's thoughts, ADWD, Chapter 3, Jon I

Question: How did Jon Snow know that Bran named his direwolf Summer?

Jon left Winterfell before Bran named his direwolf.

We can speculate that the letter Jon received announcing Bran woke from his coma mentioned that Bran finally named his wolf but we have no proof as we never saw the contents of the message.

We can speculate that Jon learned Summer's name through his wolf dreams, but again we have no proof.

Does anyone have any other insights, conclusions or comments?

Do you know of any other instances in the text where those who left Winterfell before Bran named his direwolf use the name Summer?

32 minutes ago, RavenousReader said:

Bran looked up calmly. “His name is Summer,” he said.

~AGOT, Chapter 17, Bran III

On the other side the wind was colder still, the wolf sensed. That was where his brother was, the grey brother who smelled of summer.

~Jon's wolf dream, ADWD, Chapter 3, Jon I

At Queenscrown, one had come out of the darkness to save Jon’s life. Summer, it had to be. His fur was grey, and Shaggydog is black. He wondered if some part of his dead brothers lived on inside their wolves.

~Jon's thoughts, ADWD, Chapter 3, Jon I

Question: How did Jon Snow know that Bran named his direwolf Summer?

Jon left Winterfell before Bran named his direwolf.

We can speculate that the letter Jon received announcing Bran woke from his coma mentioned that Bran finally named his wolf but we have no proof as we never saw the contents of the message.

We can speculate that Jon learned Summer's name through his wolf dreams, but again we have no proof.

Does anyone have any other insights, conclusions or comments?

Do you know of any other instances in the text where those who left Winterfell before Bran named his direwolf use the name Summer?

That's a damned good question.  The only thing I can find that suggests anything is that Ghost knows that Bran's direwolf is called summer and therefore Jon knows.

Jon pissed in darkness, filling his chamber pot as the Old Bear's raven muttered complaints. The wolf dreams had been growing stronger, and he found himself remembering them even when awake. Ghost knows that Grey Wind is dead. Robb had died at the Twins, betrayed by men he'd believed his friends, and his wolf had perished with him. Bran and Rickon had been murdered too, beheaded at the behest of Theon Greyjoy, who had once been their lord father's ward … but if dreams did not lie, their direwolves had escaped. At Queenscrown, one had come out of the darkness to save Jon's life. Summer, it had to be. His fur was grey, and Shaggydog is black. He wondered if some part of his dead brothers lived on inside their wolves.  DwD Jon !

1 minute ago, LynnS said:

That's a damned good question.  The only thing I can find that suggests anything is that Ghost knows that Bran's direwolf is called summer and therefore Jon knows.

That's what I assumed but it would be telling if either Sansa or Arya know what Bran named his wolf but I haven't found anything that suggests they know.

4 minutes ago, RavenousReader said:

That's what I assumed but it would be telling if either Sansa or Arya know what Bran named his wolf but I haven't found anything that suggests they know.

Yes, how could Jon possibly know.  There's nothing from Arya or Sansa either.  Good catch.

1 hour ago, RavenousReader said:

Arya has had plenty of wolf dreams, if Nymeria knows then so too should Arya and yet she doesn't seem to know but Jon does? It's fishy and confusing.

It is curious. Bran immediately names him after waking from the coma dream and his encounter with the 3EC.  Anyone watching Bran by 'other means' would know. 

I wonder if the answer is the difference in Jon and Arya's personalities.

Jon thinks often of the individual members of his family including Bran and Rickon.

Arya thinks more about pack as a whole and revenge. When she thought about Robb it was because she wanted his strength. When she thinks about Jon it is with longing. I think she thought about Sansa a few times but I don't remember her specifically thinking about Bran and Rickon as individuals after she left King's Landing.

Jon is a caretaker/protector, Arya is a wild she wolf.

And of course Sansa lost her connection between wolves when Lady was executed.

What do you think?