Small questions for ADwD, v.V

Angalin

In "The Prince of Winterfell" (US Hardcover p.485) Theon asks Lady Dustin why he is giving 'Arya' away and she replies "Her father is dead and all her brothers. Her mother perished at the Twins. Her uncles are lost or dead or captive." I'm probably reading way too much into this but the wording of the last line is a bit odd, yes? Brandon is clearly dead and Benjen is lost or presumed dead... Why did she randomly add the "captive" part? Perhaps she knows more about the fate of Benjen Stark than she is letting on.

At this time, her uncle Edmure was being held captive by the Freys. Her great uncle was unde siege.

Do you think Bowen Marsh will be put to death after conspiring and actually stabbing Jon Snow???

Considering how the Watch will have probably fallen apart thanks to it, putting to death will probably be indistinguishable from "killed in chaos."

Considering how the Watch will have probably fallen apart thanks to it, putting to death will probably be indistinguishable from "killed in chaos."

Yep, and it also depends on the point of view of who the real turncloak and traitor is.

As the NW has no higher authority than their LC, I don't think there are clear rules of what happens if the LC himself turns cloak / does something that is considered against the NW vows and purpose. I guess a mutiny is the only thing to do if your LC is the "bad guy", so it would really depend on how the strong of the day see it.

Edited by FittleLinger

Yep, and it also depends on the point of view of who the real turncloak and traitor is.

As the NW has no higher authority than their LC, I don't think there are clear rules of what happens if the LC himself turns cloak / does something that is considered against the NW vows and purpose. I guess a mutiny is the only thing to do if your LC is the "bad guy", so it would really depend on how the strong of the day see it.

Yeah I guess I didn't think about it until I read somewhere on here (of course I don't remember where) and they were saying that of course of Bowen Marsh would be put to death and that Marsh knows that but helps with assassination anyway. I just thought I would throw it out there.

If Cersei has two valonqars, why is she so sure it will be Tyrion who will kill her? hHe has obviously fled the city, and even she has noticed that Jaime has changed. I think her hatred for Tyrion makes it too obvious it wont be him to kill her in the end..

Edited by Valya of Myr

Why is it that no one seems to be very concerned with Stannis' claim of Joff/Tommen/Myrcella's incestual origins? Granted, the Lannisters are still very powerful, and no one wants to buck them just yet, but shouldnt there be more widespread concern about this? He sent ravens to everyone!

I supposed the Queen of Thorns will figure out a way to twist that around to ditch Lannisters and retain the crown, but wouldnt anyone else care?

Why is it that no one seems to be very concerned with Stannis' claim of Joff/Tommen/Myrcella's incestual origins? Granted, the Lannisters are still very powerful, and no one wants to buck them just yet, but shouldnt there be more widespread concern about this? He sent ravens to everyone!

I supposed the Queen of Thorns will figure out a way to twist that around to ditch Lannisters and retain the crown, but wouldnt anyone else care?

Because it's virtually unprovable unless Cersei admits (which she won't, because that will mean death), and this will lead to an open rebellion against the throne, and Stannis is just another contender who in theory could say anything to solidify his claim, and, on top of that, is weaker than the Lannisters. In short, there is little to gain and a lot to lose if they back Stannis' claim.

I don't know whether this has been covered before but I can't find it, during the Margery/Cersei trial was it proven or said that Pycelle lied about brewing moon tea for Margery? I know that he is primarily loyal to the Lannisters so I presumed he was lying but just wondered was it said outright.

Because it's virtually unprovable unless Cersei admits (which she won't, because that will mean death), and this will lead to an open rebellion against the throne, and Stannis is just another contender who in theory could say anything to solidify his claim, and, on top of that, is weaker than the Lannisters. In short, there is little to gain and a lot to lose if they back Stannis' claim.

There are a number of people who know the truth of it, (more have already died - another source of very indirect acknowledgement), besides the way that Ned and Jon Arryn found out. Ned also declared it in the throne room, but to an entirely unsympathetic audience. Its also known in the commons, since there was a mock play about it (possibly planted by Varys). It just seems like a much bigger deal than it has turned out to be, which could just be becuase we dont have any reliable POV from someone in KL that isnt in on it.

I can't seem to find an answer to this though it probably sits right in front of me: why does Quentyn think he has any Targ (dragon?) blood in him?

He does indeed: Roughly a century ago, Dany's great great great grandfather King Daeron II brought Dorne into the realm by marrying a Dornish princess and Daeron's sister (who was btw also called Daenerys) married the Dornish prince Maron Martell, Quentyn's ancestor.

What dragon blood he has is quite diluted now of course.

Thank you. I am re-reading DWD for the first time since it first came out and all I can remember of QM is his ultimate folly, the details were escaping me. It was confusing to me since the Martell family tree on the wiki seems to be somewhat incomplete (of course that is surely because Mr. Martin hasn't given the information to complete it in his novels.) Looking at Dany I's page it appears the answer would have come to me in a few more chapters but I was getting impatient.