Westeros noble Houses' attributes and characteristics

Hey people,

Well, I did wonder, are there any attributes or special characteristics from the noble Houses of Westeros? We already know some of them, but I would like to know if you can come up with any more.

With attributes etc. I mean things the house is famous for.

House Targaryen - Incest is common, and "madness" is in the veins.

Westerlands:

House Lannister - Richest House in all Seven Kingdoms. Blonde hair, green eyes. Ambitious and highly concerned with their legacy.

House Westerling - Honorable and prideful, but sometimes at the neglect of their station.

House Sarsfield - Famous archers, who actually use horses (quite uncommon in Westeros, though we don't know if they ride into battle on horseback).

House Clegane - Very large and brutal warriors, but loyal.

House Crakehall - Known for the strength of their family members.

The Reach:

House Tyrell - Curly brown hair, brown eyes. Ambitous.

House Hightower - Cautious, politically shrewd, very powerful. Seem to tend towards silver hair/Targ-ish features.

House Redwyne - Red hair, freckles, physically unattractive. Famous for their good wine and their fleet.

House Tarly - Strong warriors, often in the vanguard.

House Florent - Large ears, physically unattractive.

Dorne:

House Martell - Tan skiny, black hair, brown eyes. Often very loyal.

House Dayne - Blonde hair, fair eyes. Valyrian appearance. Known as warriors.

Iron Islands:

House Codd - Said to be incestuous and thieves, disliked by other houses.

The North:

House Stark - Grey eyes and dark brown hair, slim. Value honour highly.

House Umber - Family members are known to be really big and tall, often over 7 feet. Very loyal, feud with the wildlings.

House Karstark - Have Stark-blood in their veins, descendants of the Starks of Winterfell. Large in size and hot blooded.

House Mormont - Famous for their warrior women fighting against the wildlings who raid Bear Island often.

House Bolton - Pale eyes like "dirty snow". Infamous for flaying their prisoners alive.

House Manderly - Most family members are fat. Descendants of Knights from the Reach.

House Reed - Slight build, green eyes. Recluse but loyal.

House Glover - Highly loyal and very blunt.

The Riverlands:

House Tully - Auburn hair, blue eyes, high cheekbones. Highly concerned with duty to their family.

House Frey - Weak chinned, weasel-ish looking. Cautious, stingy, generally unpleasant. Many descendants.

House Mallister - Very knightly, honorable and warriors. Feud with the Ironborn.

House Blackwood - Seem to tend to be tall and skinny. Mavericks, close ties to The North and fued wit the Brackens.

House Bracken - Feud with the Blackwoods.

The Vale:

House Arryn - Very prideful, seem to come off as a bit haughty.

House Royce - Large and grey eyes.

The Stormlands:

House Baratheon - Black hair, blue eyes, large. Bullheaded and stubborn. Good warriors.

House Connington - Red hair. Arrogant (Red Ronnet and apparently Jon during the Rebellion as well).

House Swann - Cautious. Good knights.

House Caron - Highly loyal, good warriors.

________________________________________________________________________________

If you come up with more, I will update the first post.

House Codd from the Iron Islands are notoriously disliked, and are kind of assholes, thought to be incestuous and thieves. Given the fact that they are huge supporters of Euron I wouldn't doubt this.

House Mormont is known for it's warrior women, given the frequent Wildling attacks.

House Bolton is known for flaying, even after its ban.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey people,

Well, I did wonder, are there any attributes or special characteristics from the noble Houses of Westeros? We already know some of them, but I would like to know if you can come up with any more.

With attributes etc. I mean things the house is famous for. For example:

House Sarsfield [Westerlands] - Famous archers, who actually use horses (quite uncommon in Westeros, though we don't know if they ride into battle on horseback).

House Rallenhall [Westerlands] - Known for the strength of their family members.

House Codd [iron Islands] - Said to be incestuous and thieves, disliked by other houses.

House Mormont [North] - Famous for their warrior women fighting against the wildlings who raid Bear Island often.

House Bolton [North] - Infamous for flaying their prisoners alive.

If you come up with more, I will update the first post.

Are those first two from the books, or from some other source, because I do not recognize them.

House __________ - the lord that Davos meets in Sisterton. Their family has a characteristic webbing between some of their fingers.

Are those first two from the books, or from some other source, because I do not recognize them.

House __________ - the lord that Davos meets in Sisterton. Their family has a characteristic webbing between some of their fingers.

Rallenhall is how Crakehall was translated into the German language version of ASOIF.

House Redwyne: Famous for their wine and their big warfleet

House Tarly: Natural soldiers and wielders of the valyrian swordHeartsbane

<p>See if I can&#39;t think of as many of these as I can. Gonna start with The North and will add more later.<br />

<br />

<strong>The North:</strong></p>

<ul class="bbc">

<li>House Stark: Dark brown hair, grey eyes, slim build. Value honor highly, tactically intelligent but not politically savvy.</li>

<li>House Umber: Very large. Boisterous and loud. Highly skilled warriors. Loyal. Fued with wildlings.</li>

<li>House Bolton: Pale eyes. Cold, cunning, sadistic. Dubious loyalty.</li>

<li>House Mormont: The whole warrior women thing. Also highly loyal.</li>

<li>House Karstark: Large in size and dishevelled appearance. Hot blooded and fierce. Vengeful.</li>

<li>House Manderly: Very fat. Highly loyal to House Stark.</li>

<li>House Reed: Slight build, green eyes. Recluse but loyal.</li>

<li>House Glover: Highly loyal and very blunt</li>

</ul>

<p><strong>The Riverlands:</strong></p>

<ul>

<li>House Tully: Auburn hair, blue eyes, high cheekbones. Highly concerned with duty to their family.</li>

<li>House Frey: Weak chinned, weasel-ish looking. Cautious, stingy, generally unpleasant.</li>

<li>House Mallister: Very knightly, honorable and warriors. Feud with the Ironborn.</li>

<li>House Blackwood: Seem to tend to be tall and skinny. Mavericks, close ties to The North and fued wit the Brackens.</li>

<li>House Bracken: Fued with the Blackwoods.</li>

</ul>

<p><strong>The Vale:</strong></p>

<ul>

<li>House Arryn: Very prideful, seem to come off as a bit haughty.</li>

<li>House Royce: Large, grey eyes. Definitely a &quot;warrior&quot; house.</li>

</ul>

<p><strong>The Westerlands:</strong></p>

<ul>

<li>House Lannister: Blonde hair, green eyes. Ambitious and highly concerned with their legacy.</li>

<li>House Crakehall: Tend to be large, good warriors. A bit &quot;loutish&quot;.</li>

<li>House Westerling: Honorable and prideful, but sometimes at the neglect of their station.</li>

<li>House Clegane: Very large and brutal warriors, but loyal.</li>

</ul>

<p><strong>The Stormlands:</strong></p>

<ul>

<li>House Baratheon: Black hair, blue eyes, large. Bullheaded and stubborn. Good warriors.</li>

<li>House Connington: Red hair. Arrogant (Red Ronnet and apparently Jon during the Rebellion as well)</li>

<li>House Swann: Cautious. Good knights.</li>

<li>House Caron: Highly loyal, good warriors.</li>

</ul>

<p><strong>The Reach:</strong></p>

<ul>

<li>House Tyrell: Curly brown hair, brown eyes. Ambitous, though not as cutthroat as The Lannisters in that regard.</li>

<li>House Hightower: Cautious, politically shrewd, very powerful. Seem to tend towards silver hair/Targ-ish features.</li>

<li>House Redwyne: Red hair, freckles, physically unattractive. Known for their fleet and wines.</li>

<li>House Florent: Large ears, physically unattractive. Ambitous in sort of a &quot;slimy&quot; way.</li>

<li>House Tarly: Warlike, lots of martial tradition.</li>

</ul>

<p><strong>Dorne: </strong></p>

<ul>

<li>House Martell: Tan skiny, black hair, brown eyes. Personalities are kind of varied by loyalty is big with them.</li>

<li>House Dayne: Blonde hair, fair eyes. Could be Targ looking. Known as warriors.</li>

</ul>

Thank you for the input! Updated first post. :)

Yeah, failed with the german translation.

House Sarsfield is a minor house, but gets mentioned form time to time.

Though, we should watch out that we do not judge a whole House because of some members!

Gerold Dayne has blonde hair with a streak of black, I think.

Gerold Dayne has an aquiline nose, high cheekbones and a strong jaw. He keeps his face clean-shaven. He has thick silver hair that falls to his collar like a silver glacier, divided by a streak of midnight black. His eyes appear black but at closer vantage they are a dark purple - dark and angry.

So Valyrian features for sure. ;)

Godric of House Borrell, the Lord of Sweetsister. And yes, they are known for having webbed hands and feet.

• 1 year later...

House Manderly is the youngest (unless you count House Thenn at the moment) of the Northern houses, it's also the only house in the North that follows The Faith of The Seven rather than the old god, and it's clear that they have the nicest city in Westeros.

House Yronwood has the unique title " The Bloodroyal."

House Frey has more members than any other house.

House Blackwood is the only house south of The Neck to believe in the Old Gods.

I think the Florent unattractiveness is only common in the Florents we know best.

Alester isn't described as unattractive but very lordly-looking and both his daughters are married to two top tier Lords of the Reach. Rhea is Leyton's fourth wife so it probably isn't a political match. Delena was bedded by Robert aswell so she must have had something that drew his eye.

All Lannisters show varying degrees of cunning, trying to use wits and words to get the best out of their situations. Never seem to do anything outright. Killing Robert and blaming a hunting accident, riding to Kings Landing at the last minute to look like they were on the Rebellion's side all along, ambushing Stannis at the Blackwater, the Red Wedding, duping the Westerlings/Spicers to betray Robb, passing three bastards of as Royalty etc...

You can pretty much guarantee that when it comes to the crunch the Lannisters will run from a fair fight.

All Lannisters show varying degrees of cunning, trying to use wits and words to get the best out of their situations. Never seem to do anything outright. Killing Robert and blaming a hunting accident, riding to Kings Landing at the last minute to look like they were on the Rebellion's side all along, ambushing Stannis at the Blackwater, the Red Wedding, duping the Westerlings/Spicers to betray Robb, passing three bastards of as Royalty etc...

You can pretty much guarantee that when it comes to the crunch the Lannisters will run from a fair fight.

LOL Lancel is dumb as a ton of bricks, Joffrey was an idiot (and I know he was 13, but he was dumb even for that age).

And "Lannisters will fun from a fair fight"?! WTF? Jaime was a famous swordsman and fighter who threw himself in the thick of things and enjoyed the fight, people thought little of his honor but nobody doubted his courage. He is known for being impulsive and not thinking things through, that's how he got captured by Robb at the Whispering Wood. And he was never known for cunning until he lost his hand and had to reinvent himself when he went to the Riverlands and was trying to honor his vow of not fighting against the Tullys.

And then Tyrion at Blackwater... A dwarf with almost no experience in fight decides to lead men in battle in order to motivate them to continue fighting. Yeah, what a coward.

Anyway, just how ridiculous is the idea that all those houses over generations would preserve the same physical traits, let alone have the same character traits? The latter is just ridiculous in any case, and also untrue in many cases based on text, many of the family members are very different in personality, as in real life. The former would only be possible if they all practiced incest and inbreeding all the time (and even Targaryens didn't always do it, and some of them like prince Baelor Breakspear and his sons or princess Rhaenys did not have the Targ look, though there should have really been more of them). And it's not true, for instance 4 out of 5 of Ned's and Cat's children look like their mother more than their father. Realistically, there should be lots of children in noble houses who take more after their mothers than their fathers, and a lot of them who are mix of both; I'm flabbergasted that so many fans seem to think that mothers don't contribute genetic material to children and that they should all look like clones of their fathers.

The supposed unchangeability of house traits is one of the things that annoy me in ASOAIF. Some of it an be attributed to people in-universe stereotyping things, but some of it can't, and GRRM invented total nonsense like "Baratheon super gene" to justify it. Though as we've learned recently, it's actually Durrandon gene - it's not like it's somehow passed through only through the male line. Though it's apparently a bit less super since the descendants of Jocelyn Baratheon were not black of hair.

Archived