Euron Greyjoy

gande51

Have you seen Oz, he basically played Euron there? For some reason I can´t paste on this forum, but you can look it up on Youtube anyway. Mikkelsen is probably to expensive and is also busy with Hannibal, Purefoy has said that he's not interested (maybe it was a joke though) and West is too young if they have Ray Stevenson as Victarion - which they should - and neither of these actors have blue eyes which is an important attribute of Euron.

The show has only cast American actors in rare occasions. They had Tyrion in mind from the beginning, and it's a bit harder to find amazing dwarf actors than amazing European actors. Expect them to go with a European actor like they have for over 90% of the cast.

Actually, I think Meloni is even more necessary to be cast than Dinklage because he's corresponding Martin's description of Euron almost perfectly. Dinklage is one of the best actors of the show but he differs somewhat from the books (but it's acceptable bescause of the lack of dwarf actors, but I guess Warwick Davis could have worked too), but when you have an actor which is so suited for the role (according to me and I hope I can convince others too) I don´t think nationality and citizenship should prevent it. Also, why can I not quote people like others can even when I use the function "Quote"?

The show has not been slavishly devoted to Martin's physical description of characters. They are more concerned with the performance of the actor rather than how they look. Jack GLeeson doesn't match the physical description but he embodies the Joffrey character perfectly. I loved Christopher Meloni in Oz, but they can and will find a European actor that can play the part.

It is true what you say about Gleeson but with Meloni we will get both performance and looks and it wouldn't be necessary for the producers to balance them against each other. I they don't cast Meloni, Purefoy is the best choice I guess. The chance that they get Mikkelsen is very low.

Have you seen Oz, he basically played Euron there? For some reason I can´t paste on this forum, but you can look it up on Youtube anyway. Mikkelsen is probably to expensive and is also busy with Hannibal, Purefoy has said that he's not interested (maybe it was a joke though) and West is too young if they have Ray Stevenson as Victarion - which they should - and neither of these actors have blue eyes which is an important attribute of Euron.

Yes I did and playing a creepy rapist is not the same as playing Euron Greyjoy.

Well, Euron is a "creepy rapist", amongst other things. There are hints that he molested Aeron and his ship Silence "has sailed, pillaged and raped all over the known world". Both Keller and Euron are also charming, manipulative and cunning men capable of great cruelty. They are not exactly alike off course, but it is ridiculous to deny that there are many similarites between them. Do you think that he is a bad actor or is it just because he's not a citizen in a European country?

Well, Euron is a "creepy rapist", amongst other things. There are hints that he molested Aeron and his ship Silence "has sailed, pillaged and raped all over the known world". Both Keller and Euron are also charming, manipulative and cunning men capable of great cruelty. They are not exactly alike off course, but it is ridiculous to deny that there are many similarites between them. Do you think that he is a bad actor or is it just because he's not a citizen in a European country?

Yes but his oz character didn't have the mysterious allure and charisma I always pictured Euron having. I don't just wanna see Euron as a creepy pirate I wanna see him as something of a dark messiah for the Ironborn.

What is an "European accent"? There are hundreds of them and American English may sound much more "European" than some genuine European accents. Since the accents of the Ironborn are either British or Irish it would be a large contrast if one of them talked with a Danish accent, much more than with an American.

Which roles have Purefoy, West and Mikkelsen played that make them more suitable for Euron though?

Purefoy was amazing as Mark Anthony in the HBO series Rome. He does lecherous/arrogant/ruthless/slightly mad characters extremely well, which would make him perfect for the role of Euron.

If we can just ignore the fact that he's unlikely candidate, (probably less so than Mads Mikkelsen however), do you think that he would be an appropriate actor for the role? I have also seen people suggest Richard Armitage for Euron or Victarion, he doesn't look anything like Victarion to me but can do a good Euron if he was older (but makeup can do wonders), methinks that Armitage ought to play Aeron instead, they are both tall and probably close in age. There is a chance that Armitage is to famous now, but one can always hope.

Euron Greyjoy - Christopher Meloni/James Purefoy

Victarion Greyjoy - Ray Stevenson/Craig Fairbrass

Aeron Greyjoy - Richard Armitage/Matt King

Which roles have Purefoy, West and Mikkelsen played that make them more suitable for Euron though?

Have you watched Hannibal?

How about West in 300, he barely appeared in it, but he definitely has the ablity to pull it off

Purefoy was great in Rome, dominant, manipulative and ruthless, yet charming

Haven't seen Hannibal (but other stuff with Mikkelsen) but Rome and 300. My opinion is that Meloni's role in Oz was far closer to Euron than anything I've seen the other actors in. That off course could also be an argument against Meloni, that it would be boring just to have a blue-lipped Chris Keller 2.1 with an eyepatch in another HBO production. If Purefoy was just kidding with his comments he could definitely pull it off, Mikkelsen and West are good actors but the first is probably too busy with Hannibal and also too expensive, and the other is too young (24 years between the oldest and the second oldest of the Greyjoy brothers is to stretch it too far even if Patrick Malahide looks younger than he is). Most fans seem to want Ray Stevenson as Victarion which I agree with and then Richard Armitage as Aeron Greyjoy and we would have a perfect cast. Spread the word! :cheers:

Reading the James Purefoy interview now, I don't think he's joking. He and Kevin McKidd genuinely seem unhappy at HBO for the way Rome was cut short, which is kind of understandable.

I guess we can rule him out, which is a pity.

They could still be upset with HBO, but I think if D&D went to him and spoke to him, they may change his mind, but he seems quite invested in the The Following at the moment, however I'm sure he would be available especially since Euron wont have so much scenes

Haven't seen Hannibal (but other stuff with Mikkelsen) but Rome and 300. My opinion is that Meloni's role in Oz was far closer to Euron than anything I've seen the other actors in. That off course could also be an argument against Meloni, that it would be boring just to have a blue-lipped Chris Keller 2.1 with an eyepatch in another HBO production. If Purefoy was just kidding with his comments he could definitely pull it off, Mikkelsen and West are good actors but the first is probably too busy with Hannibal and also too expensive, and the other is too young (24 years between the oldest and the second oldest of the Greyjoy brothers is to stretch it too far even if Patrick Malahide looks younger than he is). Most fans seem to want Ray Stevenson as Victarion which I agree with and then Richard Armitage as Aeron Greyjoy and we would have a perfect cast. Spread the word! :cheers:

I would like to point out that Meloni's role in OZ spanned a TON of seasons, whereas Purefoy was only slightly over 1 and 300 was only a movie. Keep that in mind, cause Meloni had more of an opportunity to portray a rounded character.

Archived