The Grim Company, by Luke Scull. Just like Abercrombie, but with actual magic.

Spockydog

I haven't read Mark Lawrence, but I've read all of Abercrombie's stuff.

Mark Lawrence is definitely worth a shot. Not as similar as Luke and Joe but it does feature a true anti-hero (possible outright villain) and has the same kind of dark humour.

• 1 month later...

I am myself, a fan of Joe Abercrombie's works particularly The First Law due to it's dark themes and nature. I also like Glen Cook's Chronicles of The Black Company, as it's also very dark and brutal. I also own Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire series i.e. Prince of Thorns. IF your debut is as dark, twisted then I will give it a spin Luke Scull. Most of my reading is influenced by the likes of Abercrombie, Lawrence, GRRM and of course Glen Cook. If your work really gives me a run for my money, I'll happily buy each book to continue the story as I have done with The First Law :)

FWI I tried to download the eBook sample, but I got a message telling me an illgal device was detected, and to contact the site's administrator. Any way to get this sample guys?

I am myself, a fan of Joe Abercrombie's works particularly The First Law due to it's dark themes and nature. I also like Glen Cook's Chronicles of The Black Company, as it's also very dark and brutal. I also own Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire series i.e. Prince of Thorns. IF your debut is as dark, twisted then I will give it a spin Luke Scull. Most of my reading is influenced by the likes of Abercrombie, Lawrence, GRRM and of course Glen Cook. If your work really gives me a run for my money, I'll happily buy each book to continue the story as I have done with The First Law :)

FWI I tried to download the eBook sample, but I got a message telling me an illgal device was detected, and to contact the site's administrator. Any way to get this sample guys?

The Epic Free Sample was taken down by my UK publisher Head of Zeus last month, sadly. On the other hand, the kindle version is currently on sale for £0.79 if you have an Amazon UK account (and a kindle, obviously). How's that for a deal?

Great. But there is a version of the Grim Company on Amazon USA that is written by someone called "Scull, Luke", is that the same person that you are?

If you're asking if this is the author Luke Scull posting on the forums... yes. If you're asking if the book is available on Amazon USA... then also yes. Its a good read and I'm looking forward to his follow-up work.

• 3 weeks later...

Shame it isn't out until 19th June. The publisher's site appears to have a good deal on the digital version with 30% off. I'll wait and see how much it is on Amazon as it was heavily discounted for the first installment. That said I don't mind paying a bit more this time around as I know what I'm getting.

• 1 month later...

"The Grim Company" might be a novel debut, but you can tell that the author Luke Scull has had a lot of experience with especially world building, dialogue and story telling from the world of the role playing computer games "Neverwinter Nights" and "The Shadow Sun". The fans of these games are going to love this book.

The story is told through 10 or so alternating POV´s and has inner monologue but is primarily driven through lots and lots of dialogue where Scull unfolds a story that is both easily liked and gripping almost from the first couple of pages. As stated in the first post of this thread there are many components in the adventure of "The Grim Company" that will make the reader feel herself right at home. An example is the company´s struggling with keeping together despite an unfolding discard based on the characters different goals and their "class-like" differences. Another is a grumpy axe-wielding fighter.

The origin and evolution in the magic´s "mana-like" system is both believable and clever in its design and the magic is very much present in the book and heavily interwoven in the quest plot.

Another forte of Scull are his characters. Even though the company has stock characters, each person is fully individualized with background secrets, hard to make choices and (lack of) social honor.

In conclusion: "The Grim Company" is highly recommendable, a real page turner and told be an experienced fantasy storyteller. The story will continue in Scull´s second book "The Grim Company - Sword of the North" set for publication in 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm luke-warm to this (haha, get it), so far It has yet to really bite me but I'll give it a go until the end if only because I've bought a rash of books that that are sitting unread for lack of interest.

• 2 weeks later...

New release date for Sword of the North: March 2015.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sword-North-Grim-Company-Scull/dp/1781851557/

Damn, that's quite a bit of a delay. I guess Luke is busy with computer games (seems like that's his bread and butter). Shame though as I feel like the book a year is important for a new author to build some momentum.

Looking at his blog the delay does seem to be because he hasn't finished yet

"I could offer up all kinds of feeble excuses to explain my lack of updates, but the simple truth is that I contracted a flesh-eating disease while in South America and lost both my hands. I've had to learn to type with my feet.

All right, that's not entirely true. But I have had a pretty nasty cough these last couple of weeks. And I've been really busy trying to finish Sword of the North."

I initially panicked when he mentioned flesh-eating diseases.

The March 2015 release date is Amazon guesswork. Depending on how the final writing push goes (i.e. whether I can finish in the next 2-3 weeks), there's still a chance Sword of the North will release this year (at least in the UK).

Archived