[TWoW Spoilers] Barristan

Ran

So it's looking like this is our order of the Fire Battle so far:

• Barristan I: Prepares to march
  • Victarion I: Prepares to sail in
  • Tyrion I: Tries to convince Plumm to flip, waits for Barristan to march, sees Victarion's fleet sail in
  • Barristan II: The battle. Notices Victarion's ships.

At this point things are going really well for Dany's side. So we're probably very close to the point where the dragon horn gets blown and things go pear-shaped in some insane way.

Great work Azador, really interesting! Imagine what the Yunkai forces must feel when an army of savage Ironmen comes storming ashore, lead by Victarion I assume. Must be a terrifying sight!

Exactly! And Victarion charging with his kraken helm and Hellboy arm... It shall be an awesome scene to read :smug:

Given that Maekar ended up eventually killing Baelor Breakspear, this comparison might not presage positive future relations between Barristan and Victarion.

Perhaps. Though, if you remember correctly, Maekar didn't entirely take all the blame for that. He placed some of that on Baelor -- for being so foolish as to join Dunk's cause, -- and even more on Dunk. However, still allowing him to take Egg with him. Neat perspective on that, I'll be anxious to see how that plays out.

As for the Stormcrows? Maybe. And yet, that could just be their battle-cry. Or George is playing one of his little 'tricks' on us. ;)

So it's looking like this is our order of the Fire Battle so far:

• Barristan I: Prepares to march
  • Victarion I: Prepares to sail in
  • Tyrion I: Tries to convince Plumm to flip, waits for Barristan to march, sees Victarion's fleet sail in
  • Barristan II: The battle. Notices Victarion's ships.

At this point things are going really well for Dany's side. So we're probably very close to the point where the dragon horn gets blown and things go pear-shaped in some insane way.

I thought Mereen was going to be boring, but based on this chapter order and what we know thus far, this is going to at least be fantastic!

What's interesting here is that we are getting, in Barristan's words, a replay of Redgrass Field but - with the lose dragons - I could very easily see us getting a replay of the "Field of Fire." If Vic blows his horn and disrupts Barristan's plans, they may fear the day is lost until the dragons appear and roast everyone alive. If Mereen is burnt to the ground along with most of the people around it and her enemies, it would very easily end the Mereen storyline and allow for the survivors to start their trek back to Westeros.

I thought Mereen was going to be boring, but based on this chapter order and what we know thus far, this is going to at least be fantastic!

What's interesting here is that we are getting, in Barristan's words, a replay of Redgrass Field but - with the lose dragons - I could very easily see us getting a replay of the "Field of Fire." If Vic blows his horn and disrupts Barristan's plans, they may fear the day is lost until the dragons appear and roast everyone alive. If Mereen is burnt to the ground along with most of the people around it and her enemies, it would very easily end the Mereen storyline and allow for the survivors to start their trek back to Westeros.

are the dragons large enough to create a "field of fire"

LOVED reading this! Thanx!

Okay, so... we have the Theon gift chapter, Arianne I which was the second gift chapter, readings of Arianne II, a Tyrion chapter, a Victarion chapter, and now these 2 Barristan chapters. Plus presumably some new chapter in the ADWD paperback (whenever that comes out). Is that right?

I have a ADWD Paperback (purchased it in June 2012) and the gift chapter in there is the Theon chapter.

If Mereen is burnt to the ground along with most of the people around it and her enemies, it would very easily end the Mereen storyline and allow for the survivors to start their trek back to Westeros.

That can't happen. The reason she hasn't left for Westeros is she doesn't want to leave Meereen the same way she did Astapor and Yunkai. If it's left a ruin, by her own dragons no less, I don't think it's something she'd get over. She'd only be less inclined to go take the Seven Kingdoms back. No, she needs total victory. A stable Meereen, the Harpy identified and the Sons disbanded and the dragons under her control … although, another way to get her to Westeros would be if one or both of the loose dragons are captured and taken there (after burning Meereen). She'd feel responsible for that.

It would be beyond hilarious if Victarion was to capture Tyrion. With all the pesky monkeys that have been plaguing him,imagine what would the demon monkey do :lmao:

Their encounter is something I'm looking forward to, immensely. The dialogue is going to be pure gold! :laugh:

What's interesting here is that we are getting, in Barristan's words, a replay of Redgrass Field but - with the lose dragons - I could very easily see us getting a replay of the "Field of Fire." If Vic blows his horn and disrupts Barristan's plans, they may fear the day is lost until the dragons appear and roast everyone alive.

Under whose command, though? Victarion is certainly under the impression that he's figured out the horn, but he's got Moqorro as his only help there and Moqorro's behavior has to be informed by his ominous kraken vision from mid-ADWD. If he's wrong, then he's going to summon the dragons under the command of the man who claimed the horn, i.e., Euron. Which could be interesting.

That can't happen. The reason she hasn't left for Westeros is she doesn't want to leave Meereen the same way she did Astapor and Yunkai. If it's left a ruin, by her own dragons no less, I don't think it's something she'd get over. She'd only be less inclined to go take the Seven Kingdoms back. No, she needs total victory. A stable Meereen, the Harpy identified and the Sons disbanded and the dragons under her control … although, another way to get her to Westeros would be if one or both of the loose dragons are captured and taken there (after burning Meereen). She'd feel responsible for that.

Good. And why can't that happen?

I'd rather see Dany in rage and on the verge of going insane than what we've gotten. Imagine how pissed she's going to be when HER DRAGONS are stolen along with Meereen in ashes..

Completly crackpot theory:

Maybe the red dawn/ dragon dawn's thing will be a foreshadow that at the same time at the wall a "dragon" is weaking up.

I know that is completly far fetched. :leaving:

I've always secretly believed that whatever happens to Jon (awoken by Melisandre, burnt in a funeral pyre, etc...) is gonna affect Dany's dragons somehow. I have no real evidence of this, I just think it would a really cool way for a big thing in Westeros to affect Dany and/or her dragons on the other side of the world.