[TWoW Spoilers] Barristan

Ran

There are many theories on the Dusky Woman and Moqorro. None of it is fact yet, but the facts we do know are Euron is extremely cunning and insane and Victarion is extremely stupid when it comes to everything besides reaving.

I guess there must be a dusky woman thread I missed on here somewhere. She could at least class herself as Euron's "black tentacles".

Ironborn are overrated. Large land battle is different to raids or boarding parties.

What I wonder about more is where are the 3000+ Unsullied who are not accounted for.

Well, at least they admit that they're pillaging and raping.

The ironborn have the element of surpirse, Barristan thinks they're on the same side, but they might not.

I don't think the 3000+ unsullied are 3000+ anymore. Some died of battle and others of the plague. Not all of them died, I estimate that there are about 1800+ unsullied acting as a reserve inside Mereen.

It doesn't matter that he has continued as a POV. He isn't aware himself that he is UnVic. Two things- In the House of the Undying Dany sees "A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly". Greyjoy...a grey smile. But the dead face.....I think I am correct.

Nice observation. "grey lips smiling sadly" always screamed "Greyjoy", but combine this with Moqorro giving him the fiery hand and the suggestion that Victarion is now something akin to Melisandre or Beric is there. Considering the condition Jon was in at the end of ADWD, and the proximity of Melisandre, he might undergo a similar process in TWOW (it would be handy to have his own internal heating source anyway, considering the circumstances at and around the Wall).

The "black tentacles" Moqorro was talking about may be Euron's rather than Moqorro's, though.

Its established in ADWD that the Unsullied haven't been affected by the plague.

They lost only a dozen in the Battle of Yunkai whilst we never learn how many were lost in the attack on Mereen. Given that losing near half their numbers would warrent some mention in the text I can only assume those are not all the Unsullied and some are in the city. The description of all the forces for instance entirely omits the 3 Free Companies that Dany had trained from her freedmen. So not everyone has been accounted for anyway.

Nice observation. "grey lips smiling sadly" always screamed "Greyjoy", but combine this with Moqorro giving him the fiery hand and the suggestion that Victarion is now something akin to Melisandre or Beric is there. Considering the condition Jon was in at the end of ADWD, and the proximity of Melisandre, he might undergo a similar process in TWOW (it would be handy to have his own internal heating source anyway, considering the circumstances at and around the Wall).

The "black tentacles" Moqorro was talking about may be Euron's rather than Moqorro's, though.

Thats true about Euron being his ultimate puppeteer. Good call. I also wondered if MEl is actually undead, too. It reminded me when you mentioned "internal fire", and thought of her red ruby on her neck. But......did she give it away to Mance? Or was that another one? When I finish my Storm reread, I'm jumping into Dance straight away instead of Feast- maybe see what shakes loose.

Thats true about Euron being his ultimate puppeteer. Good call. I also wondered if MEl is actually undead, too. It reminded me when you mentioned "internal fire", and thought of her red ruby on her neck. But......did she give it away to Mance? Or was that another one? When I finish my Storm reread, I'm jumping into Dance straight away instead of Feast- maybe see what shakes loose.

That was a different ruby she gave to mance. The ruby was still on Mance's hand and her Ruby was glowing when she removed the Rattleshirt glamors in her chambers.

Is the shavepate that trust worthy to be the last line of defense???

Then I have a feeling this is a bad sign!!! "He is interrupted by a murmur among the soldiers -- a fire is lit at the harpy on top of one of the pyramids, presumably to signal the men at each gate to begin the attack. The gate opens and Barristan sounds the call to attack."

That being said awesome job, thanks are owed all over world!!

I wonder.. Do you think the "mount" she must ride "to bed" refers to Victarion? He seeks to marry Dany, and he has a horn that controls her dragons. She might have to get close to him (i.e. marry him) and let him bed her in order to steal that dragon horn and escape. The mount, by the way, is Drogon. She will be riding the dragon, but the dragon will be flying to Victarion. Hizdhar, by this point, of course is dead. Victarion will see to that, I'm sure.

I wonder.. Do you think the "mount" she must ride "to bed" refers to Victarion? He seeks to marry Dany, and he has a horn that controls her dragons. She might have to get close to him (i.e. marry him) and let him bed her in order to steal that dragon horn and escape. The mount, by the way, is Drogon. She will be riding the dragon, but the dragon will be flying to Victarion. Hizdhar, by this point, of course is dead. Victarion will see to that, I'm sure.

Well, if the "mount to bed" refers to someone she marries why Victarion and not Drogo or Hizdar?

"He is interrupted by a murmur among the soldiers -- a fire is lit at the harpy on top of one of the pyramids, presumably to signal the men at each gate to begin the attack. The gate opens and Barristan sounds the call to attack."

"Presumably"? I'm probably reaching there, but is there any chance that the fire was lit by something else...say, a dragon?

I don't think Victarion will die until he sees Euron again. George has built the storyline of these two characters with vengeance and betrayal of one another, it would seem odd if their last meeting was in AFFC.

True, but if ASOIAF is any indication, he also likes writing about characters who are destroyed by their quest for revenge or are cheated their opportunities for revenge by outside forces.

I really, really like the UnVic/Puppet!Vic theories floated upthread.

Edited by Newstar

I can't stand the Ironborn. If Victarion survives and Selmy dies that is it for me. Selmy has to last until Dany gets back to Westeros. Cersei needs to see him next to Dany and she needs to pay dearly for what she did to him.

I am tired of all of these chapters coming out dribble drabble and all of us trying to figure out where things lead. FINISH THE FREAKING BOOK ALREADY!!!!!

Would Ser Barristan Selmy really ride Dany's silver mare though? That's the one part i find suspect.

But glad to hear any news of TWOW!

The Arianne chapter on GRRM's site is really great IMO. But only cuz I love the Dornish storyline and the Dornish characters....

EDIT: Okay I read where it says he rides Danys horse to provide moral support for the troops.

Awesome!!!! God I love Ser Barristan! The true defintion of a knight. I pay night and day that he survives this next book.

Edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear

I can't stand the Ironborn. If Victarion survives and Selmy dies that is it for me. Selmy has to last until Dany gets back to Westeros. Cersei needs to see him next to Dany and she needs to pay dearly for what she did to him.

I am tired of all of these chapters coming out dribble drabble and all of us trying to figure out where things lead. FINISH THE FREAKING BOOK ALREADY!!!!!

I want Selmy to live long enough to hear Tyrion tell him the truth about the parentage of Cersei's children and Robert's death. I think Selmy would be disgusted by Jaime even more, and be even more glad that Joffrey stripped him of his cloak. I would also like to see his shame regarding Ned, not that I find fault with Selmy.