[TWoW Spoilers] Barristan

Ran

1)Aegon is going to be a significant player anyway, by getting the support of Arianne (and associated Dornish armies). With the help of the Dornish, he can defeat the Tyrell army that was sent to deal with him, especially if they don't realise in time that the Dornish have joined him.

2)Even if the battles go poorly for the Tyrells, they are unlikely to lose their main castle to Ironborn invaders - a siege or assault on a well-manned castle isn't their specialty

3)If the Ironborn take Oldtown, Sam may not be able to leave. He would be better off with the Redwynes clearing the seas and lifting the blockade around Oldtown.

4)Since the Redwyne fleet is moving to the western shore in order to fight the Ironborn, the east will be wide open even if they win. And wooden ships are perfect targets for dragons anyway, not much of an obstacle.

5) Meta-reason: Theon and Asha are still in the books for a reason, and a replay of the kingsmoot with this most unlikely pair seems a good reason for that. IMO Euron will f*ck it up to such a degree that the remaining Ironborn will be desperate for any reason to get rid of his kingship.

6) The Tyrells would be neutralised as threat to Aegon anyway should Margaery die for any reason, and the following things are potentially threatening her at the end of ADWD:

-Cersei ordering "ser robert" to kill her

-Varys ordering his "little birds" to kill her, or doing it himself

-The Faith condemning her. Conviction looks unlikely at the moment, and the Tyrell army would stop any execution, but who knows what a fanatical Sparrow or a particularly pious knight might do

The same is true if Tommen dies or if Cersei would grab him and run out of KL to Casterly Rock with him. As long as the end result is no queen Margaery, the way for Aegon is wide open.

1)Aegon is going to be a significant player anyway, by getting the support of Arianne (and associated Dornish armies). With the help of the Dornish, he can defeat the Tyrell army that was sent to deal with him, especially if they don't realise in time that the Dornish have joined him.

The Dornish aren't worth shit if they are forced to fight a victorious Tyrell army. Besides you must think ahead. Faegon still wants to marry Dany, he needs a reason to marry Arianne. If the Tyrell suffer the massive blow that I'm predicting than Faegon gets that reason. If he acquires the Dornish army he will be able to jump into the power vacuum left behind by the defeat of the Tyrells. Also by expanding his army in this way, he'll become a beacon for the disillussioned Reach men. Those Reach men aren't going to submit to the Ironborn (who can't reach them if they stay far enough from the rivers and sea) and with the Tyrells severely weakened they'll flock to their saviour Faegon.

2)Even if the battles go poorly for the Tyrells, they are unlikely to lose their main castle to Ironborn invaders - a siege or assault on a well-manned castle isn't their specialty

First off Highgarden is more like a palace than a real castle (not saying that it's undefendable but it's easier to take than fore example Storms End). Secondly, Garlan and company will ride out in full strength, they'll fall into an Ironborn ambush. Their army will be massacred, and they wouldn't have left many men behind to man their castle, since Ironborn aren't known for attacking a well-manned castle as you pointed out. But these are no ordinary Ironborn, Euron is a game changer (as he has proven already by conjuring up the plan to destroy the Lannister fleet during the first Greyjoy rebellion) and he'll prove that Ironborn don't sow by trampling the Rose.

3)If the Ironborn take Oldtown, Sam may not be able to leave. He would be better off with the Redwynes clearing the seas and lifting the blockade around Oldtown.

No, because than Sam would be save and he would just sit there in the citadel forging his chain. If the Ironborn take Oldtown they'll take it with their ships, they won't use a pincer movement or something like that. Sam will flee over land possibly to Horn Hill.

4)Since the Redwyne fleet is moving to the western shore in order to fight the Ironborn, the east will be wide open even if they win. And wooden ships are perfect targets for dragons anyway, not much of an obstacle.

That all depends on the timeline. If Dany stays away long enough (or if they hear that she has taken Volantis or something like that) and the Redwyne's have defeated the Ironborn then they could turn back.

The Dragon argument: 1) Will Dany be in full control of her dragons? 2) If the Redwyne's attack Dany's fleet then casualties in the first minutes of the battle would be steep for the Redwyne's, but once they've clashed with Dany's fleet the dragons are useless because in order to burn the Redwyne's she'll have to burn lots of her own people and friendly fire isn't her style. Also, when Dany crosses the shivering sea she'll use every vessel available. Most of those won't be warships and a lot of ships are going to be manned by fairly green crews, while the Redwyne fleet is made up off professional sailors and considerably more equiped. Mixe those two up and Dany's fleet will suffer greatly.

5) Meta-reason: Theon and Asha are still in the books for a reason, and a replay of the kingsmoot with this most unlikely pair seems a good reason for that. IMO Euron will f*ck it up to such a degree that the remaining Ironborn will be desperate for any reason to get rid of his kingship.

There are better reasons (sacrifizing theon to a hart trea for exemple) + Euron still has a lot of enemies on the Islands. There are the Drowned God fanatics, Victarions men, the reader who isn't fond of him and lots of captains probably share Asha's worries. If Euron defeats the Tyrells he'll become a true king, the Ironborn will rise higher than ever... which will make their fall even more painfull. Eurons ultimate goal stands or falls with Dany IMO. The Tyrells are just obstacles in his way. Eurons people will taste grandeur only to suffer massively later on, and than Asha/Theon are going to resurface.

6) The Tyrells would be neutralised as threat to Aegon anyway should Margaery die for any reason, and the following things are potentially threatening her at the end of ADWD:

-Cersei ordering "ser robert" to kill her

-Varys ordering his "little birds" to kill her, or doing it himself

-The Faith condemning her. Conviction looks unlikely at the moment, and the Tyrell army would stop any execution, but who knows what a fanatical Sparrow or a particularly pious knight might do

The same is true if Tommen dies or if Cersei would grab him and run out of KL to Casterly Rock with him. As long as the end result is no queen Margaery, the way for Aegon is wide open.

That would be a waste of the subtle comment of the GC member about the fact that they still have friends in the realm.

Personally, my money is on Margaery being convicted (After Ungregor destroys Lancel or whoever they choose to fight against him, Cersei will be free to plot once more). Mace unwilling to let his daughter be killed (especially since the Ironborn victory would cost Garlan and/or Willas their lives) tries to save her.

A huge fight brakes out within the city, a lot of members of the faith (and civilians) get massacred. After this the Tyrells will be considered persona non grata, the Faith will declare for Faegon and most if not all of the remaining Tyrell supporters will flock to Faegon.

A fight within the walls of Kingslanding would also be beneficial to other plotlines, Cersei could loose another child, possibly by the hand of the Dornish who are certainly going to do their best to stir things up in and around Kingslanding.

Also, when the Dornishmen attack Cersei and her children they'll have a face-off with ser Robert Strong and although I'm fairly sure that they'll all perish in the attempt, they'll probably rip his helmet off, showing what lies underneath it and thus confirming that Ser Robert strong is in fact Ungregor and when that news reaches Sandor (where ever he is by then) he'll have no choice but to confront the thing that once was his brother

Edited by Veltigar

First off Highgarden is more like a palace than a real castle

Source? AFAIK we know next to nothing about Highgarden, but I see no reason to doubt it is a "real castle".

Secondly, Garlan and company will ride out in full strength, they'll fall into an Ironborn ambush. Their army will be massacred, and they wouldn't have left many men behind to man their castle, since Ironborn aren't known for attacking a well-manned castle as you pointed out.

Will they ride out in full strength? I don't think Garlan told us his strategy. Anyway, if they do ride out in full strength the trade-off is that the Ironborn will be able to attack a lot of places without punishment (as this big army can only be in one place at a time), but they are extremely unlikely to be "massacred". A massed Reach army, with plenty of well-armoured knights (the Reach being the heigth of medieval chivalry with knight galore), would make short work of an Ironborn force on land, and if the ironborn stay on their ships they can hardly massacre a large army.

And it's not because Rodric left Winterfell undefended that Willas and/or Garlan are going to be making the same mistake. It should even serve as a warning to always defend your main castle well, no matter how much you need troops elsewhere.

But these are no ordinary Ironborn, Euron is a game changer (as he has proven already by conjuring up the plan to destroy the Lannister fleet during the first Greyjoy rebellion) and he'll prove that Ironborn don't sow by trampling the Rose.

As I wrote earlier, I very much doubt Euron is near the Reach, as of late ADWD. Moqorro indicated that Euron was following Victarion, when he described his vision of a tentacled squid with a red eye in a sea of blood (paraphrasing). Euron's goal is in Slaver's Bay, not in the Reach. He is not interested in the Seastone chair, only in the dragons and the Iron Throne.

That all depends on the timeline. If Dany stays away long enough (or if they hear that she has taken Volantis or something like that) and the Redwyne's have defeated the Ironborn then they could turn back.

They could turn back. But they know what happened the last time they left their own seas/lands. They may want to stay.

Source? AFAIK we know next to nothing about Highgarden, but I see no reason to doubt it is a "real castle".

One of the SSM of GRRM contained that statement. Sadly, I don't know which one.

Will they ride out in full strength? I don't think Garlan told us his strategy. Anyway, if they do ride out in full strength the trade-off is that the Ironborn will be able to attack a lot of places without punishment (as this big army can only be in one place at a time), but they are extremely unlikely to be "massacred". A massed Reach army, with plenty of well-armoured knights (the Reach being the heigth of medieval chivalry with knight galore), would make short work of an Ironborn force on land, and if the ironborn stay on their ships they can hardly massacre a large army.

They have to, they can't afford to sit on their asses while the Ironborn are out there plundering the lands and since the Ironborn have the advantage of mobility the Tyrells need to outnumber them in order to defeat them. As long as the Ironborn remain there they'll put a serious damper on any trade, they kill smallfolk and destroy crops, the Tyrells just can't afford to let the Ironborn roam free. History has also proven that once the Ironborn are able to settle, they are well-nigh impossible to remove. The Tyrells are forced to attack straight away in full force. On top of that you need to take into account that the Tyrell force at the moment is kept pinned down by a much smaller force, they need to finish the Ironborn off, so that they can use their manpower on their other fronts.

The Tyrells will also underestimate the Ironborn, as you pointed out, they are the shining pinacle of chivalry. How on earth could they ever lose from such a ragged band of outlaws and wannabe pirates. So, they'll be less inclined to take the possibility of losing their battle into account, a little bit like the French knights thought that they couldn't possibly lose from the army of crafstmen and peasants at the The Battle of the Golden Spurs and yet the French lost.

Also the Ironborn won't attack the Tyrells when they are on land. As stated in AFFC, the Tyrell army will be at its weakest while crossing the river (or less lickely the bay), and that's exactly what the Ironborn will do. They'll force the Tyrells to cross the river, for instance by attacking Oldtown and than they'll come down on them.

And it's not because Rodric left Winterfell undefended that Willas and/or Garlan are going to be making the same mistake. It should even serve as a warning to always defend your main castle well, no matter how much you need troops elsewhere.

Again I refer to the knightley arrogance argument. And although I don't think they'll leave Highgarden as poorly defended as WF, it will certainly not be fully manned and since Highgarden is a weaker holding than WF the Ironborn will be able to capture it, especially since no one expects that the Tyrells lost the battle. The Ironborn will probably lose some of their manpower taking it, but the cost would be considered very low for the prize they acquired namely the spoils of Highgarden.

As I wrote earlier, I very much doubt Euron is near the Reach, as of late ADWD. Moqorro indicated that Euron was following Victarion, when he described his vision of a tentacled squid with a red eye in a sea of blood (paraphrasing). Euron's goal is in Slaver's Bay, not in the Reach. He is not interested in the Seastone chair, only in the dragons and the Iron Throne.

Never really got that theory. Euron is still in Westeros, Big Vic has the dusky woman at his side who is clearly Eurons agent. Remember when the three of them got in the cabin together, Moqorro said that Vics death was in the room and trust me he wasn't talking about the wound on Vics hand. The dusky woman is probably Eurons main accomplice, he doesn't need to be there himself.

They could turn back. But they know what happened the last time they left their own seas/lands. They may want to stay.

If your scenario comes true and they defeat the Ironborn than they are safe once more. So why wouldn't they leave.

That would be a waste of the subtle comment of the GC member about the fact that they still have friends in the realm.

Personally, my money is on Margaery being convicted (After Ungregor destroys Lancel or whoever they choose to fight against him, Cersei will be free to plot once more). Mace unwilling to let his daughter be killed (especially since the Ironborn victory would cost Garlan and/or Willas their lives) tries to save her.

A huge fight brakes out within the city, a lot of members of the faith (and civilians) get massacred. After this the Tyrells will be considered persona non grata, the Faith will declare for Faegon and most if not all of the remaining Tyrell supporters will flock to Faegon.

A fight within the walls of Kingslanding would also be beneficial to other plotlines, Cersei could loose another child, possibly by the hand of the Dornish who are certainly going to do their best to stir things up in and around Kingslanding.

Also, when the Dornishmen attack Cersei and her children they'll have a face-off with ser Robert Strong and although I'm fairly sure that they'll all perish in the attempt, they'll probably rip his helmet off, showing what lies underneath it and thus confirming that Ser Robert strong is in fact Ungregor and when that news reaches Sandor (where ever he is by then) he'll have no choice but to confront the thing that once was his brother

There was a remark by Tyrion (IIRC) in SoS about having Loras Tyrell on the Kingsguard being a recipe for "Kingslayer Stew" when (not "if") Loras caught Joffrey abusing Margaery - and then something about the lion versus the rose and the streets of King's Landing running with blood. Now that you mention it...that could be foreshadowing of what does happen if Marg is convicted of adultery. The details will be changed (no Loras or Joffrey) but if Marg is convicted the Tyrells will turn on the Lannisters, you can be sure of that. The Tyrells love Margaery and are convinced of her innocence and are not about to hand her over to Ilyn Payne and the block.

And right now things are looking pretty bleak for the Lannisters to mount any kind of defence: Tywin and Kevan dead, Tyrion on the run in Essos, Jaime distanced from his family, Cersei in a very precarious position herself and having alienated just about anyone who can help her, Myrcella and Tommen are little kids - about all they have left is Genna, who has her hands full with Riverrun, and maybe Daven, who is in Lannisport (and possibly bracing for an Ironborn attack) and may or may not be eager to rush to Cersei's rescue. Meanwhile the Council is full of Tyrells and their allies led by Margaery's loving dad.

Edited by KittensRuleBeetsDrool

I think it is about half of his fleet missing...

But Someone said this about the WOW Tyrion chapter :

"Someone spots sails on the horizon and they think the Volanteens have arrived, but Jorah Mormont spots the Krakens on the sails and says they are also flying dragon banners"

I do not recall Vic having Dragon banners... this sounds like Euron to me beacuse he is "godless" and abandoning his own sigil ?? I dont know. :bang:

They wouldnt have flown dragon banners all the way from pyke. Prob raised them before the battle to intimidate and show their allegiance.

There was a remark by Tyrion (IIRC) in SoS about having Loras Tyrell on the Kingsguard being a recipe for "Kingslayer Stew" when (not "if") Loras caught Joffrey abusing Margaery

Not really relevant to your overall point, but I believe this remark was made by Littlefinger and spoken to Sansa.

They wouldnt have flown dragon banners all the way from pyke. Prob raised them before the battle to intimidate and show their allegiance.

I think you are probably right about this, but there is a point where Vic talks about not having any red cloth on the ship to dress Moqorro so he has to dress him in black.

I think they would need red cloth for the Targaryen banners, right? Since their arms are a three headed dragon breathing flames, red on black.

I suppose maybe he didn't want to mess up his dragon banners or maybe they didn't have enough red cloth on them to make Moqorro robes...

Edited by mushroomshirt

There was a remark by Tyrion (IIRC) in SoS about having Loras Tyrell on the Kingsguard being a recipe for "Kingslayer Stew" when (not "if") Loras caught Joffrey abusing Margaery - and then something about the lion versus the rose and the streets of King's Landing running with blood. Now that you mention it...that could be foreshadowing of what does happen if Marg is convicted of adultery. The details will be changed (no Loras or Joffrey) but if Marg is convicted the Tyrells will turn on the Lannisters, you can be sure of that. The Tyrells love Margaery and are convinced of her innocence and are not about to hand her over to Ilyn Payne and the block.

And right now things are looking pretty bleak for the Lannisters to mount any kind of defence: Tywin and Kevan dead, Tyrion on the run in Essos, Jaime distanced from his family, Cersei in a very precarious position herself and having alienated just about anyone who can help her, Myrcella and Tommen are little kids - about all they have left is Genna, who has her hands full with Riverrun, and maybe Daven, who is in Lannisport (and possibly bracing for an Ironborn attack) and may or may not be eager to rush to Cersei's rescue. Meanwhile the Council is full of Tyrells and their allies led by Margaery's loving dad.

:bowdown: Good call about that quote, it does indeed strengthen my point. Thanks :cheers:

Yes, this is my hunch too (although I'm not sure Aegon is a fraud). I think Varys (with some annoying interference out of his control) could well be using the church to his and Aegon's advantage to secure King's Landing ready for a new "pure" boy king. Aegon needs the will of the small-folk behind him. A grass roots religious rebellion is an absolutely perfect tactical ally in this context.

However, I disagree that the Lannisters or Tyrells will be entirely pushed out or made enemies of. I think it's more efficient to use their strength for new purposes. So it could be that Margaery as you say is held captive, but as a sort of ransom to secure Highgarden's allegiance to Aegon. Also, now that Cersei is shamed and Kevan dead, Cersei can be controlled. Perhaps she'll be sent back to Casterley Rock as guardian of the west once again under a new husband – a loyal petty lord of Tyrell (or by then even Targaryen/Varys) choosing. In such a situation Margaery would be found innocent, but only if she were to wed to Aegon, or [bla bla loyalties/marriages/lordships/favours]. The people do seem love her and Loras though, so they could be valuable assets.

Basically, both Highgarden and Casterley Rock must be brought firmly to heel under a legit Aegon if he stands any chance. Recognize their new boy ruler. Dorne will clearly be a huge player, and keen to see Highgarden diminish. They'll have terms of their own to present. The Riverlords hate their current masters anyway, so they'd probably dip their beaten, broken banners without much objection. Daenerys is the real wild card in all this.

Yep I'm certain this is all part of an intentional movement orchestrated by Varys/Illyrio to destabilize the entire region. Classic setup for new leadership; culminating in a coup d'etat.

Edited by mrlukeduke

In response to some of the posts above - yes, the Tyrells may be arrogant and overconfident, but I think the Ironborn are too few and their combat style is more suited to hit & run raids than head-to-head combat. The Ironborn have two chances of winning - luring the Tyrell army into a huge trap/ambush or having dragons allied with them. I don't think Euron would be able to count on his brother getting back with the dragons on time, So, that leave some sort of trap or ambush.

However, I disagree that the Lannisters or Tyrells will be entirely pushed out or made enemies of. I think it's more efficient to use their strength for new purposes. So it could be that Margaery as you say is held captive, but as a sort of ransom to secure Highgarden's allegiance to Aegon. Also, now that Cersei is shamed and Kevan dead, Cersei can be controlled. Perhaps she'll be sent back to Casterley Rock as guardian of the west once again under a new husband – a loyal petty lord of Tyrell (or by then even Targaryen/Varys) choosing. In such a situation Margaery would be found innocent, but only if she were to wed to Aegon, or [bla bla loyalties/marriages/lordships/favours]. The people do seem love her and Loras though, so they could be valuable assets.

I still think that Margaery is going to die, Faegon can't marry her since he would already be wed to Arianne. But she could always get trapped, its a possibility.

However Cersei will never be controlled by Faegon, apart from Tyrion every main branche Lannister has to be put down in order to stabilize Faegons throne. He just can't afford to let Myrcella, Tommen, Cersei and Jaime live. Jaime because he murdered his grandfather and Cersei and the children because they are a direct threat to his claim on the throne.

Yes, this is my hunch too (although I'm not sure Aegon is a fraud). I think Varys (with some annoying interference out of his control) could well be using the church to his and Aegon's advantage to secure King's Landing ready for a new "pure" boy king. Aegon needs the will of the small-folk behind him. A grass roots religious rebellion is an absolutely perfect tactical ally in this context.

Basically, both Highgarden and Casterley Rock must be brought firmly to heel under a legit Aegon if he stands any chance. Recognize their new boy ruler. Dorne will clearly be a huge player, and keen to see Highgarden diminish. They'll have terms of their own to present. The Riverlords hate their current masters anyway, so they'd probably dip their beaten, broken banners without much objection. Daenerys is the real wild card in all this.

Yep I'm certain this is all part of an intentional movement orchestrated by Varys/Illyrio to destabilize the entire region. Classic setup for new leadership; culminating in a coup d'etat.

Yes I am wondering what varys/FAegon will want to do with Cersei, because although she has been an absolute terrible shit to everyone in Westeros, what has she really done to the Targaryens? Why would FAegon/Aegon want to harm her? It would not be good diplomacy for those he means to rule. On the other hand, if he just lets her live and sends her back to Casterly Rock, she will almost certainly cause a lot more problems. I think if anything they will execute Tommen immediately and make Cersei watch. Maybe after that she will decide to go to Dorne and be with her daughter. Haha that would be a fun scene, Cersei in Dorne chillin with the sand snakes......

Hm - there's something else going on that none of the Lannisters save Tyrion know about: Tyrion has persuaded Brown Ben Plumm to let him join the Second Sons mercenary company and is promising Plumm and his soldiers big fat hefty compensation. He's signing promissory notes in his own blood using Lannister wealth as collateral.

Leaving aside the question of the debt owed to the Iron Bank (which is Stannis' headache for now) and Queen Armed With Big Scary Dragon(s) making sure Lannisters pay their debts (might not happen until later in Book 6, or Book 7) will the invading Aegon army, or the Tyrells, get the idea to weaken the Lannister power base as much as possible so as to get their hands on the Westerlands gold mines? Casterly Rock might be all but immune to invasion itself, but Robb and his army successfully conquered a few castles and seized a few gold mines pre-Red Wedding.

Edited by KittensRuleBeetsDrool

In response to some of the posts above - yes, the Tyrells may be arrogant and overconfident, but I think the Ironborn are too few and their combat style is more suited to hit & run raids than head-to-head combat. The Ironborn have two chances of winning - luring the Tyrell army into a huge trap/ambush or having dragons allied with them. I don't think Euron would be able to count on his brother getting back with the dragons on time, So, that leave some sort of trap or ambush.

I can't say for sure about everyone else but I don't expect the Ironborn to just line up opposite the Tyrells on a field and I don't think anyone else does either. Euron still has his worlocks, and probably a plan. It's been said that if the Tyrells try to cross a river or retake the shield islands that they would be very vulnerable to the ironborn and this is true. It's also possible that Euron has some other magic to use, such as a kraken horn, or that Lord Hightower attempts magic with disastrous consequences.

I can't say for sure about everyone else but I don't expect the Ironborn to just line up opposite the Tyrells on a field and I don't think anyone else does either. .

Yep, meating the Tyrells head on would be suicide. They'll definitely use an ambush or magic to bring the Tyrells down.

It might be just me, but why exactly are we discussing the strategy of the Ironborn and the Tyrells on the thread about Barristan's two new chapters? At least talk about something related to him, like the fate of Daenerys or the battle of Meereen or when Dany's whole army will board the ships, where will they land? Talking about the rest just seems off-topic.

I can't say for sure about everyone else but I don't expect the Ironborn to just line up opposite the Tyrells on a field and I don't think anyone else does either. Euron still has his worlocks, and probably a plan. It's been said that if the Tyrells try to cross a river or retake the shield islands that they would be very vulnerable to the ironborn and this is true. It's also possible that Euron has some other magic to use, such as a kraken horn, or that Lord Hightower attempts magic with disastrous consequences.

Yes. And the Tyrells will not march anywhere at full strength because part of there army will be heading to Storms End

Yes. And the Tyrells will not march anywhere at full strength because part of there army will be heading to Storms End

Unless they pull back to better guard their own lands, or skip it to go directly to KL and better defense Marg or to intimidate and look more powerful.

After all, it's just one sellsword company, right? They can wait. :cool4: