[TWoW Spoilers] Barristan

Ran

If I were you I wouldn't claim to know anything, but I've always agreed that Dany is the good guy of the story. Ever since the end of book one I've kind of had the thought in my mind that the real Song of Ice and Fire is about Bran (Ice) and Dany (Fire). Jon Snow and fAegon are just distractions in my opinion.

However, based on the latter half of ASOS and all of ADWD, I kind of think it's implied that Daenerys has inherited a bit of the "taint" of the Targaryens.

She's not perfect, and I would never claim otherwise, but she will never be Ramsay Snow or the White Walkers. She is a good guy, even if she isn't Harry Potter with a perfect sense of right and wrong, she is still a protagonist in the GRRM sense of the word. Look at the show, if that last episode last week was not a statement to her prevailing over evil then I don't know anything.

The Tyrell victory over the Ironborn could be a pyrrhic victory. In that they win, but loose their own fleet in the process.

I think the Tyrells are about to get taken down a few pegs myself. They were upstarts that got elevated well above Steward status over more "qualified and other houses with better claims". Aegon should not have to marry Arianne to get Dorne, he should demand their support due to the lineage he claims.

I think the Tyrells are about to get taken down a few pegs myself. They were upstarts that got elevated well above Steward status over more "qualified and other houses with better claims". Aegon should not have to marry Arianne to get Dorne, he should demand their support due to the lineage he claims.

Demanding Dorne's support by virtue of his blood ties is the plan. But Daenerys has blood ties to Dorne, too, even though they are not as strong as his own. And Doran Martell offered her an alliance. If conflict arises between Daenerys and Aegon, Aegon might marry Arianne to make absolutely sure that Dorne will stand with him. If Aegon can't marry Daenerys, Arianne is the next best match.

She's not perfect, and I would never claim otherwise, but she will never be Ramsay Snow or the White Walkers.

No one expects that she will turn into Ramsay or the White Walkers - people expect her to turn into her father, Aerys the Mad. She won't do that, either. The end of ADWD, for me, doesn't imply that she suffers from the Targaryen taint. It implies that she has broken the self-imposed chains that tied her to Mereen. It was about time she reevaluated her Mereen experience.

She needs a fresh approach to breaking the Harpy's hold, or she must move on according to her original plans. It seems she is about to do both.

Edited by Tini

Demanding Dorne's support by virtue of his blood ties is the plan. But Daenerys has blood ties to Dorne, too, even though they are not as strong as his own. And Doran Martell offered her an alliance. If conflict arises between Daenerys and Aegon, Aegon might marry Arianne to make absolutely sure that Dorne will stand with him. If Aegon can't marry Daenerys, Arianne is the next best match.

I expect him to marry Margaery. If Varys is right and the Tyrell-Lannister alliance is dead with Tyrells wanting to get as far away as possible from Cersei, then her marriage to the boy king can be annulled by the High Sparrow, who himself might like a different monarch... This goes double if Cersei loses her trial. I kind of suspect Martin set up Margaery to be a sort of female Henry the VIII Black Spider. She's already married 3 kings, why not go for four or five.

I expect him to marry Margaery. If Varys is right and the Tyrell-Lannister alliance is dead with Tyrells wanting to get as far away as possible from Cersei, then her marriage to the boy king can be annulled by the High Sparrow, who himself might like a different monarch... This goes double if Cersei loses her trial. I kind of suspect Martin set up Margaery to be a sort of female Henry the VIII Black Spider. She's already married 3 kings, why not go for four or five.

That's a great comparison!! I like it, and Natalie Dormer was Anne Boleyn on the Tudors, so it's really a perfect match (lol, small acting world)

Margarey could easily be set up as something really evil actually. All this death around her, and the pressure she has had to face, could make a young girl go a little nuts. I think we have a lot to see from her character in the last 2 books :)

If Margaerey married Fageon that would really throw the cat amongst the pigeons, especially if she were to become pregnant by him. I think the dye would be cast as far as the Tyrells are concerned . Ever since I heard the story of how the Tyrells came to rule over Highgarden ive had a gut feeling that they will be wiped out at some point in the story. It was a Targaryen invasion that brought them to power and it will be an invading Targaryen that will remove them from it (Daenerys)

I wonder how the new High Sparrow is going to like the Targs in general, though. He's kind of a hard-ass, and might not want the inbreeds back in office.

I wonder how the new High Sparrow is going to like the Targs in general, though. He's kind of a hard-ass, and might not want the inbreeds back in office.

Targs have a mixed history when it comes to the Seven. Aegon the conqueror might not have been actually devout, but he paid his lip services, and build shrines to the 7 on Dragonstone. Baelor, of course, is the Blessed. The current Aegon (whether he's fake or not is almost irrelevant, he believes he's real and proof for it or against it is hard to come by) has been trained in the faith of the 7 by Septa Lemore. If he expresses a willingness to marry Margaery, and put aside the tradition of incest... why wouldn't the High Sparrow look at it as a great alternative to known "demon worshiper" Stannis?

Daenerys might get miffed at losing the Iron Throne to a nephew she never heard of and who didn't have dragons, but not enough to go to war with him to challenge him for the throne.

Targs have a mixed history when it comes to the Seven. Aegon the conqueror might not have been actually devout, but he paid his lip services, and build shrines to the 7 on Dragonstone. Baelor, of course, is the Blessed. The current Aegon (whether he's fake or not is almost irrelevant, he believes he's real and proof for it or against it is hard to come by) has been trained in the faith of the 7 by Septa Lemore. If he expresses a willingness to marry Margaery, and put aside the tradition of incest... why wouldn't the High Sparrow look at it as a great alternative to known "demon worshiper" Stannis?

Daenerys might get miffed at losing the Iron Throne to a nephew she never heard of and who didn't have dragons, but not enough to go to war with him to challenge him for the throne.

Aegon VI and Jon Con mention several times that the plan is to marry Dany. I think Dany and her dragons are more appealing than Margarey and her money. If the Golden company secures KL and Storm's End then Aegon won't even have to 'make a deal' with the Tyrells or anyone. He will be in charge and can wait for Dany to get to Westeros to marry her if he wants.

Aegon VI and Jon Con mention several times that the plan is to marry Dany. I think Dany and her dragons are more appealing than Margarey and her money. If the Golden company secures KL and Storm's End then Aegon won't even have to 'make a deal' with the Tyrells or anyone. He will be in charge and can wait for Dany to get to Westeros to marry her if he wants.

Yes, the plan was to marry Danaerys so no one would doubt his legitimacy, plus Dragons. Problem is, Danaerys isn't in Westeros. She's in the Dothraki Sea. The Tyrells, Lannisters, and the Faith Militant stand between him and King's Landing. Magaery, however, is in Westeros. Increasingly, the Lannisters look less like an ally and more like being shackled to a lion. Mostly though, I just think Martin is writing a character who keeps marrying kings. It's not money, that makes Magaery attractive, its the manpower of the Reach and its ability to be the difference maker in any other alliance.

Yes, the plan was to marry Danaerys so no one would doubt his legitimacy, plus Dragons. Problem is, Danaerys isn't in Westeros. She's in the Dothraki Sea. The Tyrells, Lannisters, and the Faith Militant stand between him and King's Landing. Magaery, however, is in Westeros. Increasingly, the Lannisters look less like an ally and more like being shackled to a lion. Mostly though, I just think Martin is writing a character who keeps marrying kings. It's not money, that makes Magaery attractive, its the manpower of the Reach and its ability to be the difference maker in any other alliance.

That's true if they believe the Golden Company couldn't handle all the other armed forces in KL. ..... And that Aegon really doesn't have the leniency to wait for Dany. But you could be right. Plus Margarey is beautiful, Aegon could just fall for her once he gets there.....

Crap :frown5: I was really hoping he wouldn't release/read any more chapters from TWOW. He's giving to much away and spoiling the excitement for me of a completely new book where I don't know what will happen. I'm just going to stay away from these forums until I've read WOW.

At least he isn't leaking the important part... especially the fact that I am looking forward to Stannis' Siege at Winterfell.

So, Barristan now has the potential to keep the unsullied almost intact seeing as two companies will desert the Yunkish, Victaryion brings about the iron born, Tyrion brings about the second sons, and Dany herself has the potential of taking back her Khalasar.

Too good to be true. Then again, the pale mare is gonna spread so it's not that good after all.

Mostly though, I just think Martin is writing a character who keeps marrying kings.

He's created a character who keeps marrying false kings. As much as I liked Renly, he wasn't next in line and Joffrey and Tommen are technically both Waters. If she marries Aegon and he turns out to not be real I'll just crack up laughing.

While there seems to be foreshadowing of his death, I could also see Barristan being Danys betrayal for love if Septa Lenore is indeed Ashara Dayne.

I can see him being the betrayer but maybe not so much because of Ashara. Throughout ADwD he was filling Dany's head with the same kind of nonsense Viserys was puffing his chest out about: that the people in Westeros were crying out for their true Targaryen king, blah, blah, when in reality no one except Robert could have cared less. Presently there are a few factions who are curious and are sniffing about so they can make their own power plays, but Barristan is overselling the situation to her. I think it could prove destructive to her in some way.

Edited by Red Raven

a sparrow is a little bird. the whole thing strikes me as a ploy by varys. all done specifically because of aegons relationship with septa Lenore. remember that varys hates magic and the 7 is so far the only religion which hasn't shown any magical abilities.