[TWoW Spoilers] Barristan

Ran

I can see ser Barristan dying, but not now, if he goes down than it will be in Westeros.

Selmy has been the eyes to provide background of Aerys reign, including events when Tywin was Hand. Just because he hasn't let us know many of the background mysteries that are still outstanding, doesn't mean he he won't in the future. Also, currently he rules in Dany's absence. His POV gives insight into who may well become the decision maker as well as the power behind Dany's army. If all goes his way in Meereen, even when Dany reunites with him, she may ask him to take a separate path then the one she travels when they head to Westeros. Therefore providing his own storyline and need for POV.

Selmy has been the eyes to provide background of Aerys reign, including events when Tywin was Hand. Just because he hasn't let us know many of the background mysteries that are still outstanding, doesn't mean he he won't in the future. Also, currently he rules in Dany's absence. His POV gives insight into who may well become the decision maker as well as the power behind Dany's army. If all goes his way in Meereen, even when Dany reunites with him, she may ask him to take a separate path then the one she travels when they head to Westeros. Therefore providing his own storyline and need for POV.

Agreed, Barristan could still provide information about Aerys' reign, and about Tywin as well.

Also, I've taken a look at the new sample chapter, and

I just love how Barristan remembers the White Bull in there. If he can remember things the White Bull had said to him when he was younger, it is very much possible that he will go remembering things Aerys and Tywin said and did.

I just think that when that happens, the battle of Meereen will be done. It has to apply to the situation after all. And whilst fighting, of course Barristan would

remember his white brothers. It could be that he'll remember the Trident during the battle of Meereen, but since no one has mentioned that in their summary, I'm guessing it's not going to be in his first two chapters.

I hope Barristan makes it to Westeros, I'm not ready to say goodbye to his character yet.

Yes, he's become one of my favorite characters. However, that's usually a bad sign for them - we already know he has more to say to Dany regarding her family, so he'll probably get stabbed in the back on his way to greet her triumphant return to Meereen.

I just think that when that happens, the battle of Meereen will be done. It has to apply to the situation after all. And whilst fighting, of course Barristan would

remember his white brothers. It could be that he'll remember the Trident during the battle of Meereen, but since no one has mentioned that in their summary, I'm guessing it's not going to be in his first two chapters.

I think that the Battle for Meereen will be divided in two stages. One against the Yunkai'i and one against the Volantinians several days afterwards. The battle against the Volantinians will be a pretty desperate fight

And then I can see Barristan remembering the Trident

Dany may or may not sit on the iron throne. The slaves meant nothing to her, and look what she has done for them; or at least tried to do. With the counsel of the likes of Barristan and Tyrion and perhaps the support or guidance of Victarion and the maester from the Citadel, I don't see her going down the dark path.

She will play a pivotal role against the Others. After that, she might die, sit the Iron Throne, return to the East where she spent most of her life and where a lot of people call her mother, or even lead the first settlement into the ruins of the old Valyrian Empire.

But GRRM has NOT set her up to be a villain.

yep :agree:

• 2 weeks later...

One reason I doubt that Barristan will die in the battle is because then Dany will be left with zero Westerosi advisers she already knows. It would be weird for her to come across Victarion or Tyrion without Barristan telling her how awful they are.

Also, I wonder if Barristan and Ser Jorah's paths will cross at some point during the battle.....

One reason I doubt that Barristan will die in the battle is because then Dany will be left with zero Westerosi advisers she already knows. It would be weird for her to come across Victarion or Tyrion without Barristan telling her how awful they are.

Also, I wonder if Barristan and Ser Jorah's paths will cross at some point during the battle.....

As you point out later on in your statement, Jorah would still be around. And how terrible Tyrion is? Whaaaaaaaat?

• 2 weeks later...

So the Barristan chapter hasn't been put up online though?

It might not appear on GRRM's website for a while. First enough books have to be sold. Perhaps after Christmas? But that might be a bit optimistic :)

If you can find how much time passed between the Theon chapter appearing in a book and appearing officially online, it might give an indication.

I've read the chapter and also heard it read aloud. It doesn't really tell us anything new, surprisingly. Most of the things Barristan thinks about in the chapter were already covered in his POV chapters from ADwD. Actually what I was really curious about is whether Hizdhar is the Harpy or if it's the Green Grace or someone unknown.

I just read the Barristan chapter today at the book store. Pretty decent chapter, but I wonder what their plans are with the dragons? Are they just going to release the two dragons and expect them to fight for the right side?

I already regret reading the chapter because now I really want to know what happens next, and sadly TWOW won't be out for a long time.