[TWoW Spoilers] Barristan

Ran

With regard to the topic, I think that Aeron's adventures and the invasion of the Others will be closely related and he will organize their transport by water as a means to rid himself of Euron, or something along those lines...

Please, as if Tyrion's going to kick the bucket in tWoW. Mark my words, Tyrion won't survive the series, but he'll die at the very end probably whilst saving the world.

Unfortunately, he has quite the plot armor. And will probably die in a flashforward at the end of the series, where he is, as Tyrion himself described, aged 90, in his own bed, with a bellyfull of wine and a girl's mouth around... Nevertheless, we can reasonably hope that Victarion will do the axe treatment to the multitude of Meereneese character, along with those from Yunkai, Astapor and whoever else is around.

Edited by Nucky Thompson

i believe the only main character to die in mereen willl be jorah :(

as others have said barristan is too important as a POV and advisor to dany, and him coming to westeros with her will strengthen her claim (being aided by one of the most legendary knights in westeros)

i think jorah will in the end show his love for dany and somehow sacrifice himself for her, redeeming himself of his earlier betrayal towards her.

as others have said barristan is too important as a POV and advisor to dany, and him coming to westeros with her will strengthen her claim (being aided by one of the most legendary knights in westeros)

i think jorah will in the end show his love for dany and somehow sacrifice himself for her, redeeming himself of his earlier betrayal towards her.

That would be nice.. :)

If Barristan survives and Jorah dies, Barristan will betray her for love of Ashara.

I thought it would be cool if he took the black

• 2 weeks later...

I would love Barristan to continue as a PoV character. However, we know that GRRM brought him in to cut through the Meereenese knot, providing a narrative viewpoint in Meereen while Dany is out of the city.

Based on this, he has to be seen as a superfluous PoV when the other PoV characters start coming together in the last books in the series.

I think Barristan dies at Jorah's jealous hand, then Dany has to tragically kill Jorah. Much drama.

That would actually be pretty crazy

I just got the ADWD paperback and read the Barristan chapter for the first time. Awesome little chapter but such a tease lol. Barristan had some great lines.

If you recall in ASOS when Lord Commander Mormont is dying he tells Sam to tell his son that he forgives him and something else. I think Sam said something as well I can't remember. For that reason I see Jorah getting to Westeros or at least meeting Sam but either way surviving the Battle of Meereen.

As for Ser Barristan, I also believe he has to live to aid Daenerys by supporting her claim.

Unfortunately I don't think Jorah is long for this world. His primary purpose was as the Exposition Guy to explain the Dothraki and Essos in general to Dany (and to the reader). Then along comes Barristan who is a fountain of knowledge about the Targ family and is now in the company of Dany. Narratively Dany still needs Barristan but doesn't need Jorah anymore. In ADWD Jorah was little more than a plot device to get Tyrion from Volantis to Meereen. Unless GRRM plans on Jorah meeting up with Sam somehow (and I wouldn't count on that), I think Jorah is just about done and I don't see him surviving TWOW.

Also, Iain Glen said he was contracted for "five or six years" so assuming season 5 is spent dragging Tyrion around, I think he gets killed sometime in season 6.

I hope I'm wrong, if only to see Iain Glen sign another contract and stick around longer.

If you recall in ASOS when Lord Commander Mormont is dying he tells Sam to tell his son that he forgives him and something else. I think Sam said something as well I can't remember. For that reason I see Jorah getting to Westeros or at least meeting Sam but either way surviving the Battle of Meereen.

As for Ser Barristan, I also believe he has to live to aid Daenerys by supporting her claim.

Mormont told Sam it was his wish that Jorah take the black.

I've always felt that Victarion would end up getting back-stabbed by Moqorro. We know that Moqorro obviously believes that Dany is AA, so he's not going to let Victarion kill her/steal her dragons. That being said, I could also see Moqorro letting Victarion use the horn to get one of the dragons, potentially for a blackmail type thing? One of those dragons is enormously powerful, and in Victarion's hands could be devastating, so maybe Dany follows his lead because Moqorro wants to fit her in with his ideological agenda? I don't know why, but I get this feeling that things aren't going to go Victarion's way at all.

Yeah I'm on the boat with people saying Victarion will die in Mereen. Moqorro, Barristan, Daario and Dany herself are all candidates. Once he's gone Dany will give the other Ironborn the chance of serving her or burning, and they can transport all her freedmen and whoever else wants to come with her to Westeros.

Barristan will live because of the foreshadowing in Clash when Renly and Tywin were both trying to figure where Barristan was. I'm pretty sure they both said something to the effect that whoever goes to battle with Barristan the Bold at their side will win a lot of the hearts and minds of the smallfolk in Westeros.

As for Jorah I'm being sentimental and hoping he meets up with Sam at some point with Sam's eyes going wide when he hears Jorah addressed as a Mormont before stammering and mumbling about how Jeor died in his arms and with some of his last breaths told Sam of his last wish being that Jorah take the black. GRRM might not give us that one though. It'd be cool.

Barristan will live because of the foreshadowing in Clash when Renly and Tywin were both trying to figure where Barristan was.

Then we found out in ASoS. Both Renly and Tywin are dead, and I don't think that foreshadows Barristan coming back to Westeros.

Unfortunately I don't think Jorah is long for this world. His primary purpose was as the Exposition Guy to explain the Dothraki and Essos in general to Dany (and to the reader). Then along comes Barristan who is a fountain of knowledge about the Targ family and is now in the company of Dany. Narratively Dany still needs Barristan but doesn't need Jorah anymore. In ADWD Jorah was little more than a plot device to get Tyrion from Volantis to Meereen. Unless GRRM plans on Jorah meeting up with Sam somehow (and I wouldn't count on that), I think Jorah is just about done and I don't see him surviving TWOW.

Also, Iain Glen said he was contracted for "five or six years" so assuming season 5 is spent dragging Tyrion around, I think he gets killed sometime in season 6.

I hope I'm wrong, if only to see Iain Glen sign another contract and stick around longer.

Being from Bear Island, and having fought in the Greyjoy Rebellion, he likely has a natural antipathy to Ironmen. I don't think he would want Victarion to have any chance of meeting with Dany, especially if he founds out what happened to Victarion's last wife.

Edited by Fire Eater

Despite posting shortly after the Barristan chapter was release that I believed he seemed likely to die soon, a recent reread of a handful of chapters has made it clearer to me that he seems less “disposable” to the overall narrative than others.

For example, as others have said, Jorah really does come off like a plot vehicle to get Tyrion to Meereen in ADWD, and could largely be written out of necessity fairly soon. He might not be, but it does feel like his “plot necessity” is nearly spent at the moment, outside of a possible “clue” that he could be headed for the Wall soon as opposed to dying in Meereen.

Meanwhile, as for Barristan seeming likely to die, he does, to a degree. For one, he’s literally riding the pale mare in his chapter (possible foreshadowing of death), and it also seems somewhat obvious that the Shavepate could simply close the gates on him while he’s riding back to Meereen…

However, what he has yet to tell us and Dany about RR, Rhaegar, and possibly more seems too important and unresolved to simply dead end his arc in battle at the top of TWOW, as others have said.

Most especially, if Lemore is Ashara, Barristan seems almost indispensable at the moment, possibly even playing a role in her reveal.

One further, as I suggested in another thread, if Lemore has a role to play in legitimizing fAegon (revealing her true identity as Ashara in the process to add weight to her claim) – and if Barristan survives Meereen to return west with Dany – it seems Barristan could end up betraying Dany for fAegon’s superior claim. In parallel, having done so out of love for Ashara, at least in part, Barristan’s possible betrayal might just be a roundabout way to fulfill Dany’s Treason for Love…

In any event, while we can’t know at the moment exactly what GRRM has planned, I’ve slowly gotten on board with the notion that Barristan seems far less dispensable to the plot than Jorah at the moment, and the longer he lives, the more “obvious” it should become that he has a piece of information and/or will perform a deed integral to the plot in future, as opposed to simply dying in the first 300 pages of TWOW.

Victarion is needed way more tha anyone. He is the leader of the Iron Fleet. He is the one who technically will save Mereen. He is the one who is brignign Moqorro to the Dragon Queen. If he dies, who will lead the Iron Fleet? Jorah?

Victarion is doing what Quentyn Martell didn't do. He is bringing a fleet an army, and only his fleet knows how to sail anywhere around Westeros

Barristan will be around as well as Jorah and Tyrion. Dany will be at full strength when the make it to Westeros. After that, whateber happens would be anyones guess.

Victarion's arc is tied to his brother Euron. He will not die yet until that rivalry with hm is complete. Doesn't mean we will get a crazy 1 on 1, but the arc must become complete

Edited by David C. Hunter