[TWoW Spoilers] Barristan

Ran

The dragons are released already. Barristan expects the dragons will be attracted by the battle, but doesn't know what they'll do.

Apparently, the dragons are likely to attack both sides, maybe until Victarion makes his thing with the horn and none knows what will happen then.

The dragons are released already. Barristan expects the dragons will be attracted by the battle, but doesn't know what they'll do.

Apparently, the dragons are likely to attack both sides, maybe until Victarion makes his thing with the horn and none knows what will happen then.

oh right, i forgot that the dragons were already released, its been a while since I read ADWD.

Danys forces dont have control of the dragons, remember Quentyn set them free and they began to nest in the Pyramids of Meereen. The sound/smell of the battle drew them out i imagine, as the Fighting Pits drew Drogon back

ETA: sorru, you were already answered but i didnt see it :)

Edited by TyrionBlackfish

It's true the dragons are released and aren't controlled (yet), but I think it's obvious they can only hurt the Yunkai. After all, they are fighting in the Yunkai siege lines - massive amounts of flame aren't going to do those trebuchets any good. The real question is what's going to happen with Tyrion, Dany, Vic, and Brown Ben Plumm once Vic captures a dragon.

It's true the dragons are released and aren't controlled (yet), but I think it's obvious they can only hurt the Yunkai. After all, they are fighting in the Yunkai siege lines - massive amounts of flame aren't going to do those trebuchets any good. The real question is what's going to happen with Tyrion, Dany, Vic, and Brown Ben Plumm if Vic captures a dragon.

Fixed it ;)

I don't think anything will change in the short-term if the dragons get caught. Whoever catches them will need to train them to understand and obey orders. Victarion's horn might facilitate catching the dragons, I doubt it'll replace training.

Whoever catches the dragons will have to find a safe place where they can train them. The situation in Meereen will get resolved without the help of dragons.

Barristan didn't know which Ironmen were on the ships and he first thought Balon, then remembered that he heard he died, and wondered if it could have something to do with his son who was living with the Starks.

This is, in some way, a confirmation of the R+L=J theory. Why would Ser Barristan think that Theon Greyjoy would send help to Daenerys? Unless he know that R+L=J is true and thinks that the Starks would eventually discover this and send help to the last living Targaryen that didn’t take the black.

Edited by Surfer of Saragar

This is, in some way, a confirmation of the R+L=J theory. Why would Ser Barristan think that Theon Greyjoy would send help to Daenerys? Unless he know that R+L=J is true and thinks that the Starks would eventually discover this and send help to the last living Targaryen that didn’t take de black.

This I don´t follow :p

Why would Theon come to Dany's aid? For the same reasons Victarion came, for example. Barristan doesn't know a lot of what has happened in Westeros, since he has been in Essos for a long time.

Also, if R+L=J is true, and the Starks discovered this (wouldn't Ned already have known it? :P ), why would they sent a Greyjoy with Greyjoy ships? They would at the very least have Stark banners.

Barristan doesn't know anything about it, otherwise, he would have told Dany about it months ago.

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

This I don´t follow :P

Why would Theon come to Dany's aid? For the same reasons Victarion came, for example. Barristan doesn't know a lot of what has happened in Westeros, since he has been in Essos for a long time.

If you're right, why he thought specifically Theon? It could be any Greyjoy or any Iron born captain. It is strange.

Also, if R+L=J is true, and the Starks discovered this (wouldn't Ned already have known it? :P ), why would they sent a Greyjoy with Greyjoy ships? They would at the very least have Stark banners.

That is a good point. But the north does not have a true navy since Brandon the Burner. And what he saw was iron born sails with the squid symbol. And he knows that Ned is dead, he leaved after that.

Edited by Surfer of Saragar

Its more likely just because he thinks of the Starks being honourable blah blah, seeking out the true Queen of westeros blqh blah. I dont think this can be twisted to suggest R+L=J unfortunately.

What is more, what he knows of the Greyjoys, doesn't add up to their fleet showing up at Meereen: Barristan assumes that the powerhungry Balon and the battlehungry Victarion would at once gnaw at Westeros mainland if given the opportunity, and have a complete lack of the foresight to extend their reach as far as Meereen. He forgets about Euron, who is actually the Greyjoy visionary, as he had been in exile at the time Barristan was back in Westeros. That's why he thinks of Theon, who might have been sent on behalf of the King in the North to seek out an alliance (and knowing about the "Usurper's dogs" attitude, probably thinks it unlikely). It is rather unlikely that the Iron Throne would go out in force to seek an alliance with a Targaryen, and sending the Greyjoys to destroy her seems insufficient from a military standpoint, all the while the Iron Throne has domestic problems to deal with and can't spend its armies in such ventures. And, of course, he still thinks that Theon is loyal to the Starks.

Edited by Nucky Thompson

What is more, what he knows of the Greyjoys, doesn't add up to their fleet showing up at Meereen: Barristan assumes that the powerhungry Balon and the battlehungry Victarion would at once gnaw at Westeros mainland if given the opportunity, and have a complete lack of the foresight to extend their reach as far as Meereen. He forgets about Euron, who is actually the Greyjoy visionary, as he had been in exile at the time Barristan was back in Westeros. That's why he thinks of Theon, who might have been sent on behalf of the King in the North to seek out an alliance (and knowing about the "Usurper's dogs" attitude, probably thinks it unlikely). It is rather unlikely that the Iron Throne would go out in force to seek an alliance with a Targaryen, and sending the Greyjoys to destroy her seems insufficient from a military standpoint, all the while the Iron Throne has domestic problems to deal with and can't spend its armies in such ventures. And, of course, he still thinks that Theon is loyal to the Starks.

Excellent post. I miss the "like" button.

I can't wait for Victarion to kill Tyrion.

Then what would be the point of Tyrion going to Meereen just for him to be killed by Victarion before he even mets Dany?

I think it is more likely Tyrion ends up having Victarion getting killed by Dany.

Edited by Fire Eater

Seconded. He can rid us of a multitude of annoying Meeren characters in one fell swoop. Wonder if that would actually turn out to be GRRM's solution to the 'Meereneese knot'?

Well, the fact that Tyrion is GRRMs favorite character won't mean Tyrion will survive until he end :p but i do think Tyrion and Dany will meet, since he has more knowledge about dragons, and she needs to learn it.

It might be Victarions ships taking Dany to Westeros. But whether or not Victarion will also still be around is another question.

Seconded. He can rid us of a multitude of annoying Meeren characters in one fell swoop. Wonder if that would actually turn out to be GRRM's solution to the 'Meereneese knot'?

Please, as if Tyrion's going to kick the bucket in tWoW. Mark my words, Tyrion won't survive the series, but he'll die at the very end probably whilst saving the world.