aurane waters (TWoW spoiler)

wilson22287

sorry if this has been mentioned before ( i did a search of this forum)

From TWoW Arianne chapter...

"A new pirate king has set up on Torturer's Deep. The Lord of the Waters, he styles himself. This one has real warships, three-deckers, monstrous large. You were wise not to come by sea. "

So this has to be where Aurane Waters went right? Lord of the Waters, has real warships ...

maybe he will team up with quentyn martel on his way back or even jon connington..

maybe he will team up with quentyn martel on his way back or even jon connington..

You know that Quent is deader than dead do you? I also can´t see him teaming up with JonCon. Aurane is more likely to ally with Stannis or the Tyrells in my opinion.

This thread makes me chuckle at more of Cersei's idiocy.

Its possible that he's already in bed with the Tyrells or Stannis, i agree. I'd like to think he would help ferry much needed dragonglass to the wall or north. I certainly dont believe the reports filtering back from Dragonstone.

Im not aware of any reason to join or ties he has to Fageon..

I'm nearly certain a quentyn/aurane alliance isn't on the cards. I'll bet a grand on it.

I'd like to second that bet, it would be the most unlikely alliance to happen. lol.

On another note I've seen it speculated before that Aurane Waters might still be in league with Stannis. I believe his own house were loyal to the Targs and if he has heard the rumors of Aegon he may decide to help his cause, if he gains something from it.

Aurane is a bastard Velaryon, so it's not a stretch to believe he'd want to see a new Targaryen sit the IT. He's known about Dany's dragons for a while, so I think he's probably waiting for her. Daemon Velaryon was Aegon I Targaryen's Master of Ships so there is precedence and Dany is probably Aurane's only opportunity at legitimization.

I think Stannis would have said something to Davos if he had a spy on the small council. And we know Stan's not the most forgiving person in Westeros. Stannis on the IT probably means a fiery death for Aurane.

Torturer's Deep--quite the name. (insert random eye roll here)

That aside, I could see Dany falling for Aurane, especially if Daario does not make it back to Meereen (whether he gets flung or catches the Pale Mare or Barristan or someone else puts him put of his misery).

I'm not really keen on seeing Aurane again. The book is already crowded with characters. We don't need to see another potentially important figure being introduced. That being said, I doubt he's going to side with Stannis. My guess is that he helps the Greyjoys in stealing a dragon. Either that or joining Faegon.

those dromonds sound slow, slow ships make poor pirate ships. i'd say he's not gonna make a career as a pirate, more likely he will join some major force. the lannisters are obviously out of the question. if he were playing for the tyrells we would be in a hurry to get to the shield islands. stannis seems very unlikely for no particular reason. he's gonna go with danny or aegon IMHO. maybe he's waiting to see how the aegon thing plays out, to join him if he turns out to be a success.

I kind of like to think that Aurane is in bed with the Tyrells (and maybe literally with the Knight of Flowers) and that Lady Olenna and Aurane are biding their time and waiting for Dany. This could just be wishful thinking, but Tyrells have always been Targ loyalists, and seem pretty wise to wait for a dragon to show up in Westeros considering how crazy it is. And if Martells side with Aegon this will form even more motivation for the Tyrells to go with Dany. It also seems like a Tyrell/Lannister feud is inevitable in tWoW, so I think Lady Olenna or Willas has been cooking up a Plan B for when the shit hits the fan.

As for why Aurane would be with the Tyrells, maybe he likes it the butt from Loras, or he secretly allied Lady Olenna while he was at Court and jumped the gun a little early seperating from the Lannisters.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO Waters is a treacherous bastard who is completely out for himself. He is trying to emulate Saan if he is not all ready allied with him.He has all ready turned his cloak twice. He will sell his ships to the highest bidder and if the bids are not high enough its no real sweat, hes doing fine on his own or being a partner with Saan. His prior expereinces might have actually discouraged him from wanting to get involved in the war again. Piracy is safer and more profitable.

those dromonds sound slow, slow ships make poor pirate ships.

War galleys were pretty fast, esp. in short run - they have more oars (and oarsmen) than cargo ships, are sleeker and built for tactical maneuvers.

However they are manpower intensive and in real world ended because they cannot hope to match firepower of sailships - they had to be as light as possible and thus cannot carry too many guns, both for weight and structural reasons. However in ASOIAF world without gunpowder weapons, dromonds would rule.

So I agree, as pirate ships they are sub-optimal, but not because of the speed ;)

Archived