GRRM's greatest plot twist ever, (Spoilers Mate)

ServantOnIce

Re Reading IMO the "least" book in the Series, "Dance with Dragons" and it hit me, the greatest plot twist in this entire series is, "AEGON IS REAL!"

Now, I believe he is fake, based off of prophecies and the like mentioned in half a hundred threads, but what if all those are red herrings by GRRM and he's real.

If he is real, then this is just MIND BLOWING . . . he really is the true heir to the throne and he has the best claim of ANYONE in Westeros . . . .

Wow, if he is real what does Dany Do? Does she even go to Westeros where she would either be his wife or be Hand of The King?

Shocking . .

I would fall on the floor if he is real . .. . . my goodness . . . the Blackfyres are supporting him not because he is a Blackfyre pretender but because he is real and he is their ONLY chance to regain power in Westeros, i.e. to stop wandering Essos and come home.

Varys says, "For the Children" he means the Children of the Blackfyre supporters in Essos which he and Illyrio really are.

The way people seem to immediately write him off as a fake, I wouldn't be surprised if he is real. And I'm not just saying that because I want him to be real. All this take of black dragons, false dragons, mummer's dragons, it could be to either make Dany paranoid (more likely) or throw everyone off. I've been wondering lately, mainly since Arianne's gift chapter, if she'll wind up killing him only to realize as he is dead/dying that she's killed her nephew. It's pretty much promised that as soon as she hears about him, she's going to start denying him due to all the prophecies she takes to heart.

I'm confused about his legitimacy. Quaithe is from Asshai, where the "truth" is. So far she has given Daenerys good counsel and what she says has come true. With that being said she mentions a mummers dragon en route to Meereen and that Daenerys shouldn't trust him. This may suggest that he is Aegon is a Blackfyre and not a Targaryen or that he's just a liar. But what is the motivation to seat a mummers dragon on the throne instead of Daenerys who is no doubt a Targaryen plus she has three dragons. It's not like Aegon himself could have come up with the lie; Jon Connington, Varys and Illyrio would have to know. Plus his features are definitely Targaryen-esque.

Then I consider the fact that Aegon is rolling with a bunch of Blackfyre supporters. I dunno what GRRM is planning.

Wow, if he is real what does Dany Do? Does she even go to Westeros where she would either be his wife or be Hand of The King?

Shocking . .

I hope you do not imply that Dany would turn to be the false Dragon or even worst: She would be finally revealed as Ned Stark and Ashara Dayne's bastard? :laugh:

I'm confused about his legitimacy. Quaithe is from Asshai, where the "truth" is....

Varys is a mummer and Aegon being alive is because of Varys. Hence mummer's dragon.

Yes Quaithe's prophecies have all but usually come true but this time, this time they did not.

A clever little Imp Lion( which was mentioned in the prophecy) convinced Aegon and Griffon to go to Westros instead of seeking out Dany.

GRRM has done a great job of making us question everything. Aegon is just another great example of that. The mere inkling of a thought that he may not be who GRRM says he is, and we get an explosion of theories and plots, reaching far back to the Blackfyre rebellion, that all make sense. And somehow, they all don't. Brilliant writing.

The greatest plot twist IMHO, at least for those who haven't visited this forum, will be when R+L=J is revealed, and Jon ends up becoming king.

FAegon is another plot twist, having been deceived into believing that the Blackfyres were a long extinct threat, like Smaug in LOTR, only to have them actually been working this whole time to bring down the Targs and create chaos throughout the realm to seat the Blackfyre heir, Aegon, on the IT.

. . . he really is the true heir to the throne and he has the best claim of ANYONE in Westeros . . . .

But wasn' t it mentioned (I think by Jaime, but might be I am mistaken) that getting throne in Seven Kingdoms by conquest is as legal as inheriting by birth? I mean if Robert got throne by conquest, then Targs do not inherit throne further even if some of them live. This way Stannis has the best claim. Of course, Aegon (real or not so real) can take it by conquest too...

Also, can he prove that he is the real Aegon? The question is if ppl will hook on that or not. They can hook as well on fake Aegon too, so does it really matter if he is real. Of course, if we disregard potential AA factor (i mean - if it turns out real Aegon to be AA). Apart from that I really do not see difference.

Real or not it makes no difference. Targs no longer have a right to the throne, they were deposed. The throne is currently up for the taking, whomever wins it, has a right to it.

As to Aegon, all the evidence suggests he's a Blackfyre - the mummer's dragon. Personally, I would much rather he be real deal, I just hate it when prophecies prove true.

But wasn' t it mentioned (I think by Jaime, but might be I am mistaken) that getting throne in Seven Kingdoms by conquest is as legal as inheriting by birth? I mean if Robert got throne by conquest, then Targs do not inherit throne further even if some of them live. This way Stannis has the best claim. Of course, Aegon (real or not so real) can take it by conquest too...

Uh, no. Renly argues that if Robert won the throne through conquest, so could he, when he's justifying his claim to the throne.

There is no obvious, clear legal proceeding--that is why we speak of a claim. Who is "most" legally right? Robert won the throne by conquest, therefore he is king. That is his claim, and no one can challenge it--he's actually sitting the throne. But when the time comes for someone to inherit, and there is no obvious heir, we examine people's claims.

If Aegon is a real Targaryen, then his claim is best -- he's of the rightful rulers of Westeros, and more importantly, he's the son of the heir apparent at the time of his birth, making him the heir apparent upon Rhaegar's death.

Had Stannis been the undisputed heir to Robert, Stannis would have been crowned king. Unfortunately for him, the uncertainty of truth regarding Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella effectively broke the system.

The greatest plot twist IMHO, at least for those who haven't visited this forum, will be when R+L=J is revealed, and Jon ends up becoming king.

FAegon is another plot twist, having been deceived into believing that the Blackfyres were a long extinct threat, only to have them actually been working this whole time to bring down the Targs and create chaos throughout the realm to seat Aegon.

Not really. I was coming up with R+L=J theories at the beginning of GoT long before I found this forum.

No. The biggest one will be if R+L=J is proven false. Either because Lyanna's promise was about something else since she never had a kid or because she did have a kid, but it wasn't Jon. Imagine the boards at that reveal.

Ned.

Forgot about him. His death really set the tone for the series.

Not really. I was coming up with R+L=J theories at the beginning of GoT long before I found this forum.

No. The biggest one will be if R+L=J is proven false. Either because Lyanna's promise was about something else since she never had a kid or because she did have a kid, but it wasn't Jon. Imagine the boards at that reveal.

Actually, most readers didn't figure out R+L=J by themselves. I figured it out before I finished AGoT, but you and I are in a minority. It would be a twist since Jon is the last person we would expect to be king, especially since we are told he is bastard with no claim to anything.

Archived