Jaime heads north

drayrock

Sorry if somebody else already said this, I didn't make it through all of the posts.

But let's be real, Jaime's role in the next two books (if he survives) is not going to be one oriented around fighting. I expect him to develop enough proficiency with his left hand to fend off the Average Joe one-on-one, but he'll never be the master he used to be. And I think that's for the better - he's really developed into an interesting and dynamic character now that he is forced to be diplomatic.

I agree with what someone said already, that LS has no interest in the current whereabouts of her children, as cold as that sounds. Her only motivation is revenge, and the only people who she would want to take revenge against are Jaime, the Freys, and maybe Cersei. I doubt LS is aware of LF's current whereabouts or the fact that Sansa is with him, so I don't think she'll do anything with that. Nor do I think she'll make a move for Arya, even though it's likely that she has managed to figure out where she went.

The only way I can see Jaime getting away from LS alive is if he agrees to help her exact revenge on one of the other people she hates. I don't think Jaime would be capable of making any headway against the Freys. I'm sure could get in to see them and maybe slit a couple of throats before anyone stopped him, but the Twins is pretty heavily fortified and he would definitely be killed. Maybe LS doesn't care if Jaime gets killed in the process, but I think that would be pretty anticlimactic. I think it's more likely that Jaime and/or Brienne will be sent after Cersei. And especially now that Gregor Clegane reincarnate (presumably) is her champion, since the BwB under Dondarrion was sent after Gregor, I don't think it unlikely that they would all head back to KL (or wherever Cersei and Gregor end up escaping too, if that becomes the case) to try and take care of both of them.

Just my opinion. I'm a little biased because Jaime is one of my favorite characters and I don't want him to die, but I also think it would be a waste of really great character development to just have LS kill him at the outset of TWOW.

well, the producers of GoT have stated that they're "recruiting" Locke (aka Vargo Hoat) to the NW, so it should be safe to assume that Jaime's journey winds up at the wall. I know, I know, the show isn't canon, but GRRM has disclosed the major plot lines to HBO and this simple liberty taken by the producers might just spoil a bit of Jaime's story arc as this would set up an opportunity for him to exact some revenge on his dismember-er.

UnCat's dedication to revenge might have her sparing Jaime's life in order to exact a more fitting revenge on someone worse (Cersei, Roose Bolton, Walder Frey, etc.). If she sits still long enough to hear Jaime's and Brienne's stories, she'll see they're more useful alive than dead, even with that addled zombie brain of hers.

No chance. His off in the riverlands with the sow in silk he is without guard or a sword hand he just dived right into it. The wench was doing a dance before she called out a word and it seems the only reason why she called it out was because of poor old Podrick Payne the shoe talker.. But how came Jamie prove fateful? Sansa is off in the vale showing her moon door to little finger and Arya the nobody is becoming the next arnold schwarzenegger. It seems a pitty but Ser Jamie of the rock will die and if he doesn't undead cat is as silly as she was in life..

Hey this is a good OP. I like everyone's comments, it would be an interesting twist if this was to occur. While reading everyones comments, I just wanted to note:

1. There is a theory out there that LS and the BWB have been visiting the Neck, because they keep "disappearing" in that area when they are being pursued. Hmm....could Howland Reed intervene here and finally show up in our story? Not only could he have Robb's Will but he might know something vital about Jaime. Something that could make him useful to the BWB and LS. I agree that there is no reason for LS to trust him, but what if Jaime, say as head of the Kingsguard and a Lannister makes it easy for him to say, get close and kill a Littlefinger, Walder Frey, Lord Bolton or a Queen Cersei? And say a Brienne and/or Gendry have to accompany him to ensure he does carry out this murder for LS. (I'm kind of wondering if LS won't exact some revenge on Lord LF for his part in Ned's beheading if he is close by, like a Lannister wedding. LS would be someone LF couldn't buy off but that's just wishful crackpottery)

2. Or could it be Jaime and Brienne that have to go and retrieve Jon Snow? Given Jaime's status as LC of the Kingsguard, he can travel Westeros on "official royal business" anywhere, including up to the Wall. I'm in agreement with many that Jaime might see something in Jon that reminds him of Rheagar - even physcially. The boy JS may have looked like a Stark, but the man JS may start to resemble his father. I thought it interesting how Maester Aemon Targaryen was blind so he never got the chance to really look at Jon Snow's looks and mannerisms. Everyone always sees the Stark look; funny the one true Targaryen Jon meets is blind.

3. I also think about Jaime's dream where he's in the CR crypts especially about 1. where he thinks he sees Ned - is it Ned or is the person really Jon Snow, who has the Stark look, 2. Rheagar is sad not because Jaime killed his father but because Jaime did not protect his children, if L+R=J is right than Jaime may feel that he part of his redemption is tied to JS, 3. Brienne is by Jaime's side while Cersei walks away from him.

4. Maybe Jaime isn't the Valonquar, maybe it really is Tyrion (Cersei has been right the whole time). That would free up Jaime to go North and carry out LS/BWB agenda. Could mean Jaime will never see KL again.

I agree with what someone said already, that LS has no interest in the current whereabouts of her children, as cold as that sounds. Her only motivation is revenge, and the only people who she would want to take revenge against are Jaime, the Freys, and maybe Cersei. I doubt LS is aware of LF's current whereabouts or the fact that Sansa is with him, so I don't think she'll do anything with that. Nor do I think she'll make a move for Arya, even though it's likely that she has managed to figure out where she went.

That's wrong. It's implied that Cat is looking for Arya. The Brotherhood ask questions about her all the time and think about why the brotherhood is operating an inn of orphans.

They're looking through all the orphans that were at Saltpans and sorting through them using Gendry to find Arya.

Anyone ever feel that possibly Jaime's dream/GRRM's representation of the whitewalkers/undead and this cycle of ice and fire is a display of constant rebirth and endless strife. The never ending undead being literal in the whitewalkers but at the same time symbolizing the eternal wars of mankind, where undeath would be simply being reborn in a different soul/animus. I believe GRRM could be using his many bastard characters and the heavy emphasis on bloodlines. Sorry didn't mean to get off topic, feedback?

Hey this is a good OP. I like everyone's comments, it would be an interesting twist if this was to occur. While reading everyones comments, I just wanted to note:

1. There is a theory out there that LS and the BWB have been visiting the Neck, because they keep "disappearing" in that area when they are being pursued. Hmm....could Howland Reed intervene here and finally show up in our story? Not only could he have Robb's Will but he might know something vital about Jaime. Something that could make him useful to the BWB and LS. I agree that there is no reason for LS to trust him, but what if Jaime, say as head of the Kingsguard and a Lannister makes it easy for him to say, get close and kill a Littlefinger, Walder Frey, Lord Bolton or a Queen Cersei? And say a Brienne and/or Gendry have to accompany him to ensure he does carry out this murder for LS. (I'm kind of wondering if LS won't exact some revenge on Lord LF for his part in Ned's beheading if he is close by, like a Lannister wedding. LS would be someone LF couldn't buy off but that's just wishful crackpottery)

2. Or could it be Jaime and Brienne that have to go and retrieve Jon Snow? Given Jaime's status as LC of the Kingsguard, he can travel Westeros on "official royal business" anywhere, including up to the Wall. I'm in agreement with many that Jaime might see something in Jon that reminds him of Rheagar - even physcially. The boy JS may have looked like a Stark, but the man JS may start to resemble his father. I thought it interesting how Maester Aemon Targaryen was blind so he never got the chance to really look at Jon Snow's looks and mannerisms. Everyone always sees the Stark look; funny the one true Targaryen Jon meets is blind.

3. I also think about Jaime's dream where he's in the CR crypts especially about 1. where he thinks he sees Ned - is it Ned or is the person really Jon Snow, who has the Stark look, 2. Rheagar is sad not because Jaime killed his father but because Jaime did not protect his children, if L+R=J is right than Jaime may feel that he part of his redemption is tied to JS, 3. Brienne is by Jaime's side while Cersei walks away from him.

4. Maybe Jaime isn't the Valonquar, maybe it really is Tyrion (Cersei has been right the whole time). That would free up Jaime to go North and carry out LS/BWB agenda. Could mean Jaime will never see KL again.

I like what you said about the dream although i don't think it was that thought out. I'd love it if Jaime never headed back to KL. But I do want him to kill cersei as well. it's tough. But it could be that the Volanquar prophecy as already been completed by Jaime's disregarding of Cersei's letter. His inaction could be seen to eventually cause her death. I think that would be a goodway for it to be fufilled and not necessarilly fill the traditional prophecy storyline.

Either way jaime at the wall would be awesome.

• 1 month later...

Jaime will end up at the wall after he kills Cersei and he will take the black. Jon will likely be dead and if Stannis survives and returns to Castle Black to find another drawn out vote I could see him naming Jaime the 999th Lord Commander. I love the idea of Jaime ending his story at the wall, trading his white cloack for a black one and defending the realms of men the way he defended kings. Say what you will about the insest, trying to kill Bran and killing Areys, Jaime Lannister does have honor. Now that he has lost his sword hand his honor is all he has left. Just like jon he refused his birthright to hold his vows as LC of the King's Guard, there is no honor without temptation to turn you from it, ask Jesus.

Does no one remember at then Brienne swore her oath to Catelyn, Catelyn also swore to Brienne to never ask something of her that wouled dishonuer her. To ask her to kill a man who saved her life twice without any god reason for doing so (he haven`t broken his oath) wouled be to dishonuer her. So I think Brienne asked Lady Stoneheart for a chance for Jaime to prove himself. I think some dude are going to pretend being the hound (they have his helmet right?) and some girl gonna pretend she is Sansa and then we se if Jaime is willing to fight for her or not. He have kept his oath (to not raise arms against Tully or Stark again) but so fair he haven`t risked anything by doing so. It have been an advantage for him. Now is the qustion if he really is going to risk his own life for keeping an oath or not.

Our new Greenseer could intervene. I suspect that Bran, like so many of us readers, will forgive Jamie, particularly with his connection to the great Weirwood drive. Bran might decide to recruit new members or just aid to the NW. With the state of CB, it's in need of leadership, even if Jon lives.

I characterize this Bran and Jamie thing as possible, rather than probable.

If it did, and R + L = J, then Bran could be the big reveal.

How is it that everyone thinks Jamie will get captured by LS?

Jamie has shown super caution in everything he has done since leaving KL, sentries, ditches, and spikes every time they camp.

Jamie has also faced off against outlaws before and knows they are growing bolder having already killed the Frey heir and Merrett Frey. Brienne looks like a hot mess and is not a good liar Jamie will see right through her. There is absolutely no way Jamie gets captured again. More likely is he's the one setting the trap. I think Jamie captures, Lem Lemoncloak, who is wearing the hounds helm and then Jamie realizes that Lem is actually, Ser, Richard Lonmouth ,Prince Rhaegar's old friend and squire. Lem/Richard may have been at Lyanna and Rhaegar's wedding? if they had one and may know who Jon really is? Barristan said Rhaegar's only friends were Arthur Dayne and his squires so could Rhaegar's only living friend reveal Jon's parentage? I think it's a fun little theory.

That could be what sends Jamie north eventually. Too many what ifs to guess when. The Valougar theory is pretty vague anyone could still kill Cersei.

ps I didn't come up with the Richard Lonmouth theory but I think its a good one.

Archived