Moments of Foreshadowing 4

Ice Turtle

From the Sansa chapter where she's escaping KL after the PW.

aSoS p. 835, paperback.

Is this foreshadowing for Gendry, who is a knight of the Hollow Hill, being sacrificed to wake a dragon?

It foreshadows a dormant threat, the Targaryens, re-emerging.

He has the hair, but so do half the whores in Lys, if the tales are true. Rhaegar was a man. This is a sly boy, no more. Useful in his way, though.

This is Cersei thinking about Aurane Waters's resemblance to Rhaegar. Another person compared to Rhaegar is Aegon by Connington, and Aegon's mother may have been Serra, who came form a pillow house in Lys. He is still a boy, and useful in his way for Varys, Connington and Arianne.

He was in the midst of it, dealing death with an axe as big as he was, fighting side by side with Barristan the Bold and Bittersteel as dragons wheeled across the sky above them

Foreshadowing for Tyrion fighting in the Battle of Meeren alongside Barristan the Bold and the Bittersteel parallel, Victarion, and Viserion and Rhaegal joining in.

My first ever post.

I haven't read everything on the previous foreshadowing threads, so apologies if this has been said before.

During the 'trial' of Arya in GoT after Nymeria's attack on Joffrey, when Robert agrees to killing Lady, he says to The Ned about Sansa: (paraphrasing)

"get her a dog, she'll be happier for it"

A little something about the future interactions between Sansa and The Hound?

In the Battle of Long Lake, Raymun Redbeard was headed south away from the Wall, and met with the Stark force marching north towards them. Lord William Stark was slain and decapitated, and William's brother, Artos, slew Raymun Redbeard in battle. The wildling army is crushed when they are taken in the rear by Lord Harmond Umber, the Drunken Giant, and Redbeard and all his sons are killed, and his line extinguished. Raymund's brother, the Red Raven, was the first to flee the battle.

This is foreshadowing when it is inverted with the wildlings fighting on the Stark side. The giants on their mammoths could take the Boltons in the rear, led by Wun Wun who had taken a liking to wine according to Jon, or the force taking the Boltons in the rear could also be the Skagosi supporting Rickon, as an inversion of the Red Raven.

The Boltons are headed north towards the Wall to retrieve "Arya" and Reek after being deceived into believing Stannis is dead. Robb Stark, who had a red beard, was slain by Roose Bolton, and decapitated. Jon, Robb's brother (cousin actually), kills Roose in battle, and avenges Robb. Ramsay is also killed in battle, and House Bolton is extinguished.

Probably mentioned but

"I plan to stop at Winterfell on the way south. If there is any message that you would like me to deliver . . ."

"Tell Robb that I'm going to command the Night's Watch and keep him safe, so he might as well take up needlework with the girls and have Mikken melt down his sword for horseshoes."

Well, Jon commanded the Night's Watch and Robb took up needlework of Arya's variety.

It foreshadows a dormant threat, the Targaryens, re-emerging.

He has the hair, but so do half the whores in Lys, if the tales are true. Rhaegar was a man. This is a sly boy, no more. Useful in his way, though.

This is Cersei thinking about Aurane Waters's resemblance to Rhaegar. Another person compared to Rhaegar is Aegon by Connington, and Aegon's mother may have been Serra, who came form a pillow house in Lys. He is still a boy, and useful in his way for Varys, Connington and Arianne.

He was in the midst of it, dealing death with an axe as big as he was, fighting side by side with Barristan the Bold and Bittersteel as dragons wheeled across the sky above them

Foreshadowing for Tyrion fighting in the Battle of Meeren alongside Barristan the Bold and the Bittersteel parallel, Victarion, and Viserion and Rhaegal joining in.

Yeah, I guess it could mean the Targaryens reemerging.

Nice catch on the Aurane/Aegon relation by the way.

at the RW, after the whole guest right bit, they're getting ready to have the actual ceremony and cat and robb think amends are about to be made. they think walder is talking about the wine at the feast, and he says,

"after dinner the red will flow, and then we'll put wrongs to right."

I said this on another thread, but Viserys, who thought himself as the last dragon, being killed with melted gold. I suspect that this foreshadows how Dany's dragons will be killed; they are fatally allergic to gold and will killed using gold-tipped weapons.

There is also a quote in Arya's first chapter ever about how Septa Mordane said she had hands like a blacksmith, but I don't think GRRM is hinting at us. AryaxGendry are the only characters I ship in ASOIAF but I sincerely doubt it's going to happen. When has love worked out for anyone in the whole series? :P

Is there a thread for this? :drunk: I'm a huge Arya and Gendry shipper too, it'd be nice to have a place where I can fangirl for them lol. They seriously need to hook-up and become Westeros' power couple.

Is there a thread for this? :drunk: I'm a huge Arya and Gendry shipper too, it'd be nice to have a place where I can fangirl for them lol. They seriously need to hook-up and become Westeros' power couple.

Not that I have seen, but seeing as there is an active one for Jaime and Brienne right now it would be a good time to start one :>

Jaime's description of a dead Tywin: Bloody hell, he's grinning like a bridegroom at his bedding.

I think Daven Lannister is that kind of bridegroom.

"And the king is just a boy," said the oldest of the four septas. "Who is to rule us until he comes of age?"

"Lord Tywin's brother," said a guardsman. "Or that Lord Tyrell, might be. Or the Kingslayer"

Kevan has had his brief rule, he will be followed briefly by the Hand, Mace Tyrell, now that Kevan is dead. Jaime will later become Cersei's Hand of the King.

This may be reaching but Jaime may be the last to run the crown before the king who is no longer a boy and has come of age, Jon, takes the throne.

Nice one, entirely plausible. You seem to have a knack for foreshadowing.

I said this on another thread, but Viserys, who thought himself as the last dragon, being killed with melted gold. I suspect that this foreshadows how Dany's dragons will be killed; they are fatally allergic to gold and will killed using gold-tipped weapons.

Hmm, not something I had considered before but very interesting. Thank you :)

Doran Martell and his Norvoshi wife had spent half their marriage apart and the other half arguing. It was the only rash thing his father had ever done, to hear some tell i, the only time he had followed his heart instead of his head, and he had lived to rue it.

TWoW Arianne I

Pretty boys had ever been her weakness, particularly the ones who were dark and dangerous as well. That was before, when I was just a girl, she told herself. I am a woman now, my father’s daughter. I have learned that lesson.

The only thing Doran had ever been considered to have done rashly is his marriage. Arianne thinks of herself as her father's daughter, and she may reflect that in her marriage to Aegon.

From AGoT, Bran I:

“An albino,” Theon Greyjoy said with wry amusement. “This one will die even faster than the others.”

Jon Snow gave his father’s ward a long, chilling look. “I think not, Greyjoy,” he said. “This one belongs to me.”

There. Ghost will outlive them all. :smug:

TWoW Arianne I

The Yronwoods were an ancient house, proud and powerful. Before the coming of the Rhoynar they had been kings over half of Dorne, with domains that dwarfed those of House Martell. Blood feud and rebellion would surely have followed Lord Edgar’s death, had not her father acted at once.

Interesting that the word Arianne uses is "dwarfed." That brings to mind one dwarf, Tyrion, and I think he may manage to get the Yronwoonds to switch sides against the Martells.

"And who are you the proud Lord said, that I must bow so low,

only a cat of a different cloak, that's all the truth I know."

A cat of a different cloak may very well lead to the destruction of House Lannister, if Lady Stoneheart (Cat) kills Jaime and Arya (the Cat in the Canals) kills Cersei. It's little more than wild speculation, but cool none the less.

"And who are you the proud Lord said, that I must bow so low,

only a cat of a different cloak, that's all the truth I know."

A cat of a different cloak may very well lead to the destruction of House Lannister, if Lady Stoneheart (Cat) kills Jaime and Arya (the Cat in the Canals) kills Cersei. It's little more than wild speculation, but cool none the less.

It's an interesting idea. But it's coat, not cloak. :P

Under the sea the crows are white as snow.

The light of the half-moon turned Val's honey-blond hair a pale silver and left her cheeks as white as snow.

This is a reference to Snow White. The dwarfs thought she was dead when she was actually put into a coma, and she woke up after a prince kissed her. I know BR and Bran will help Jon, and when that happens Jon will wake up from his coma the moment Val, called the "wildling princess," kisses him.

Archived