Moments of Foreshadowing 4

Ice Turtle

From AGoT, Bran I:

“An albino,” Theon Greyjoy said with wry amusement. “This one will die even faster than the others.”

Jon Snow gave his father’s ward a long, chilling look. “I think not, Greyjoy,” he said. “This one belongs to me.”

There. Ghost will outlive them all. :smug:

There's a 127-year-old albino keeping an eye on Jon, too. But damn, I hope Jon and Ghost live on.

Following up on the Rains of Castamere theme recently:

In a coat of gold or a coat of red,

a lion still has claws,

This has always reminded me of "Black or red, a dragon is still a dragon". So, assuming that Aegon is a Blackfyre, this might foreshadow his and the Blackfyre's ultimate destruction by Dany, just like Tywin did with the other "lions", who thought that their claws are just as long and sharp...

Suddenly she looked like she was going to cry "I wish you were coming wiht us"

"Different roads sometimes lead to the same castle. Who knows?"

From Jon II in A Game of Thrones

I'm not sure what it means, it's too ambiguous. Maybe Arya and Jon will literally meet in Winterfell or King's Landing again, or maybe it's a metaphor for their deaths. But, who knows?

Under the sea the crows are white as snow.

The light of the half-moon turned Val's honey-blond hair a pale silver and left her cheeks as white as snow.

This is a reference to Snow White. The dwarfs thought she was dead when she was actually put into a coma, and she woke up after a prince kissed her. I know BR and Bran will help Jon, and when that happens Jon will wake up the moment Val, called the "wildling princess," kisses him.

This i very good. I was already on board with the theory that Val would play a part on Jon's ressurection and this foreshadowing just adds weight to it.

This i very good. I was already on board with the theory that Val would play a part on Jon's ressurection and this foreshadowing just adds weight to it.

And not just Val. There is also Borroq, who called Jon "brother" as he passed through the Wall, and Morna White Mask (she kissed Jon's hand when she passed and promised him fealty), and I believe many of the wildlings that crossed the Wall will help at least keep enemies at bay while Val would join forces with Mel to save him. Why else do we have Mel as a certain PoV at the Wall? If it was for her visions, we already saw them, so Jon's revival it must be. And let's not forget Wun Wun!

Following up on the Rains of Castamere theme recently:

In a coat of gold or a coat of red,

a lion still has claws,

This has always reminded me of "Black or red, a dragon is still a dragon". So, assuming that Aegon is a Blackfyre, this might foreshadow his and the Blackfyre's ultimate destruction by Dany, just like Tywin did with the other "lions", who thought that their claws are just as long and sharp...

Very nice catch. Also, according to Cersei, the Lannisters, unlike the Reynes, kept the last lions of the westerlands, the sigil of both houses. Dany possesses the last dragons, the sigil of both Targaryen and Blackfyre.

Who else is there to kill? Do Myrcella and Tommen need to die so that the shades of Rhaenys and Aegon can be at rest?

That is the case unfortunately.

Very nice catch. Also, according the Cersei, the Lannisters, unlike the Reynes, kept the last lions of the westerlands, the sigil of both houses. Dany possesses the last dragons, the sigil of both Targaryen and Blackfyre.

Who else is there to kill? Do Myrcella and Tommen need to die so that the shades of Rhaenys and Aegon can be at rest?

That is the case unfortunately.

Great addition with the animals on the sigils, thanks!

About what you added - the Myrcella part. Remember that she was replaced with a cadet branch Lannister imposter. And the ultimate goal was to be crowned as queen, after which she was attacked by Darkstar, who is as beautiful as the dragonlords. I find another Faegon/Dany reference here... If Myrcella does die, thеn that's what probably awaits Faegon...

I'm hoping this may be a bit if foreshadowing but it's probably nothing. Last chapter, Bran of ACOK. Bran, Rikon, Hodor, Osha and the Reeds just emerged from the crypts to find a burned Winterfell and Osha says "we made enough noise to wake a dragon." I have always liked the theory that Lyanna has a dragon egg, amongst other items, in her crypt. Will a dragon awake at Winterfell? Probaby not, but hey, a girl can dream!

Edit:Spelling

This isn't exactly foreshadowing, but it is something that I (and I'm sure others) have noticed about the name Wylla. We get the fisherman's daughter story in ADWD and we have Wylla as a candidate for Jon's mother, and Wylla Manderly. I'm sure this is all intentional on GRRM's part to further muddy up the waters.

Basically, you can have two ladies with the same name, but who have it for different reasons.

W names in general and Wy- names in particular seem to be common in House Manderly, probably like the Ty- root for the Lannisters. So Wylla Manderly's name is probably an extension of that nomenclature custom.

Meanwhile, down in Dorne, you have a House Wyl and a seat of the same name. The name Wylla would in that case be a place-name identifier.

So, two identical names, two very different possible roots.

Not sure if this has been used

"Jory kept his word," her father said with a smile. "There are some things I do not need to be told. Even a blind man could see that wolf would never have left you willingly."

Possible forshadowing of Arya not becoming a FM?

Great addition with the animals on the sigils, thanks!

About what you added - the Myrcella part. Remember that she was replaced with a cadet branch Lannister imposter. And the ultimate goal was to be crowned as queen, after which she was attacked by Darkstar, who is as beautiful as the dragonlords. I find another Faegon/Dany reference here... If Myrcella does die, thеn that's what probably awaits Faegon...

Again, very nice catch. I would also like to bring up that House Tarbeck's sigil was a seven-pointed star, so this could foreshadow the Faith fighting Dany as well.

Jon did not intend to be remembered as Sleepy Jon Snow.

After the Ides of Marsh, he will sleep through a lot.

ETA: Fittlelinger, what you found could fit in this thread

In ADWD, Davos observes a woman in White Harbor selling herrings with chopped onions... this may be foreshadowing his fake beheading!

I like this.

Lady Sybell looked as if she had swallowed a lemon. "You want a Westerling to wed a bastard?" I've been pondering whether this line foreshadows Sybell scheming to get Jon and Jeyne to marry. Once the North makes a comeback, and if Jeyne is already with the Northern forces, I can see Sybell proclaiming that she was always on the North's side and trying to get Jon and Jeyne to marry if Jon is proclaimed king.

Fire Eater, I think the Sybell-Jaime scene also provides more Jaime as the valonqar foreshadowing. "Jaime would happily have strangled the woman with her seashell necklace." (The detail with the necklace nicely adds to your theory that Jaime will strangle Cesei with the Hand's necklace). Though he doesn't think of Cersei by name, it's very obvious Jaime compares Sybell and Cersei in this scene.

In ADwD when the banker is talking with Jon when they are at the wall: "one hears queer talk of dragons.”

Would that we had one here. A dragon might warm things up a bit.” This could foreshadow R+L=J or Dany and her dragons at the wall.

Fire Eater, I think the Sybell-Jaime scene also provides more Jaime as the valonqar foreshadowing. "Jaime would happily have strangled the woman with her seashell necklace." (The detail with the necklace nicely adds to your theory that Jaime will strangle Cesei with the Hand's necklace). Though he doesn't think of Cersei by name, it's very obvious Jaime compares Sybell and Cersei in this scene.

the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.

"I left my wife and children in your hands."

I think serving his rightful king, Jon, after R+L=J is revealed, might be factor in him killing Cersei, which he does with the Hand's chain.

In ADWD, Davos observes a woman in White Harbor selling herrings with chopped onions... this may be foreshadowing his fake beheading!

Nice catch, it essential states that reports of Davos being beheaded is a red herring.

In ADwD when the banker is talking with Jon when they are at the wall: "one hears queer talk of dragons.”

Would that we had one here. A dragon might warm things up a bit.” This could foreshadow R+L=J or Dany and her dragons at the wall.

IMO it's more R+L=J. Ironically Jon is the dragon, he is talking about.

It was probably mentioned...

but there is the prologue of ADwD where Varamyr thinks about how Mance forbade him from trying to take Jon's Direwolf...

Also that Jon was a natural warg and a fairly strong one who just was oblivious to his ability.

He also thought that Warging into a Direwolf after his body died would be a second life "worth of a King".

Interesting choice of words if you buy into the popular theory.

Archived