Official Court of Law v 8, Daenerys Targaryen

SeanF

1. Four Counts of Murder:

-1.1 Charge dismissed; the death of Mirri Maz Duur occurred outside the jurisdiction of this court and that of any sovereign nation.

-1.2 Charge dismissed; the attack on Kraznys mo Nakloz was a de facto declaration of war on slavery, and cannot be judged as murder. A new charge may be leveraged by a war crime tribunal at a later date.

-1.3 Charge dismissed on the grounds that the deaths of Grazdan mo Ullor and the adult male population of Astapor occurred in pursuit of the aforementioned war on slavery. A new charge may be leveraged by a war crime tribunal at a later date.

-1.4 Charge dismissed, as above.

2. One Count of Genocide:

-2. Guilty; to be addressed by a war crime tribunal. For the purposes of this court, charge dismissed.

3. Four Counts of Torture

-3.1 Charge dismissed; see 1.1.

-3.2 Guilty; to be addressed by a war crime tribunal. For the purposes of this court, charge dismissed.

-3.3 Guilty; sentenced to monetary fine to the injured party.

-3.4 Guilty; sentenced to monetary fine to the injured parties. Any actual Sons of the Harpy are to be summarily executed as enemies of the state of Meereen, and are exempt from compensation.

4. Two Counts of Criminal Damage to Property.

-4.1 Not guilty, on the grounds that the defendant acted in self-defense.

-4.2 Guilty; to be addressed by a war crime tribunal. For the purposes of this court, charge dismissed.

5. Two counts of Waging Wars of Aggression

-5.1 Guilty; to be addressed by a war crime tribunal. For the purposes of this court, charge dismissed.

-5.2 Guilty; to be addressed by a war crime tribunal. For the purposes of this court, charge dismissed.

Until such a time as a war crime tribunal can be convened, this court considers this trial concluded.

NB: Due to the lack of a unified system of government on the continent of Essos, a war crime tribunal may never be convened.

Final sentence: Monetary fine.

I interpret this as a kind of International Court of Justice sitting in Oldtown or King's Landing, primarily applying the more "civilized" Westeros standards of conduct.

Under Westerosi law Daenerys Targaryen is rightful queen of Westeros. Court dismissed by royal order.:P

1. Four Counts of Murder:-

1.1 The Defendant intentionally and unlawfully killed a godswife, Mirri Maz Duur, by ordering her to be tied to her husband’s funeral pyre, and then burning her alive.

Not Guilty. Mirri Maaz Duur was under her service, yes she suffered and all and it is normal that she would try to kill Khal Drogo or Dany's son knowing what happened to her and her kind. But she was spared and defended by Dany, what she did at the end was treason and I won't blame too much Dany for killing her. (But she was foolish to spare her or trust her after sparing her).

After a short reread of some parts of the story and a reconsideration of what happened, I realised I was a bit misinformed and I find Danearys guilty for unlawfully killing Mirri Maz Duur with no valid reason.

1.2 The Defendant intentionally and unlawfully killed Kraznys mo Nakloz, a citizen of Astapor by instructing her dragon, Drogon, to burn him to death, which instruction was carried out.

Guilty. She did it during a transaction and she made herself believe she was doing it to stop slavery but even so, that's a very violent way to start 'defending' human rights and at the end, it seemed only to profit herself. There was nothing lawful about it aye.

1.3 The Defendant intentionally and unlawfully ordered her soldiers to kill a citizen of Astapor, Grazdan mo Ullor, and to massacre the adult free male inhabitants of Astapor, which order was carried out.

Guilty. She ordered a mass murder basically, all those free men were born into that society and raised believing slavery was a norm, if she wanted to abolish slavery (which of course good) she could have first threatened them to release their slaves before killing them without asking any question. And worst of all her order was only based on age and the way people dressed (and 12 is still too young even if we assume all those free men were evil)...

1.4 The Defendant intentionally and unlawfully crucified 163 of the Great Masters of Mereen.

Guilty. This court does not recognise other courts', kings', lords' etc laws, her sentence was not based on any evidence, she just got random 163 Great Masters (or Great Masters selected those themselves I cannot remember). In any case she didn't find the real culprits and went on eye for an eye basis...

2. One Count of Genocide.

The massacre of the adult free males of Astapor, detailed in charge 1.3, amounted to the deliberate and systematic destruction, in whole or in part, of an ethnic, racial, religious, or national group

See 1.3. I find her not guilty of genocide, as genocide assumes also the will to destroy/eradicate an ethnic/racial/religious group and not a will to destroy people based on their social status. It is similar but I would say she is guilty of mass murder or aristocricide ( -_-). But for me the punishment is the same.

3.1 The burning of Mirri Maz Duur, detailed in charge 1.1, amounted to torture.

Not Guilty. She judged that punishment appropriate for Mirri's crimes from her point of view and I do not see a reason why it would be unappropriate.

3.2 The crucifixion of the Great Masters, detailed in charge 1.4, amounted to torture.

Dismissal. If they were all actually criminal in what they're accused of, I would not have an opposition to use of this method of death sentence. But condemning her already on the giving of the death sentence, there is no reason to discuss this point further.

3.3 The Defendant intentionally and unlawfully ordered two wineseller’s daughters to be tortured in front of her father, in order to procure information relating to the Sons of the Harpy.

Guilty. Firstly, there was no real evidence wineseller had any information about the criminal organisation known as the Harpy so torturing him would not be okay, but even though he really had some info, I would never accept the torture of innocent children to get those info.

3.4 The Defendant, intentionally and unlawfully ordered numerous unnamed inhabitants of Mereen to be tortured, on suspicion that they were Sons of the Harpy.

Guilty. As long as there is no proof of that suspicion, she is guilty.

4.1 The Defendant unlawfully and intentionally set fire to the House of the Undying in Qarth, resulting in its destruction.

Not guilty. It was either accidental or in self-defence I cannot recall which.

4.2 The Defendant unlawfully and intentionally sacked the City of Mereen, resulting in millions of Dragons’ worth of destruction to property.

Not guilty. Yes the ciry was sacked and she was responsible but the city was ready for a siege, the war was properly declared, nothing surprising in a medieval world.

5.1 The Defendant intentionally and unlawfully waged a war of aggression against Yunkai

5.2 The Defendant intentionally and unlawfully waged a war of aggression against Mereen

Not guilty. I have never heard declaring war had became a crime. And she had some good intentions even though she utterly failed in achieving it. (abolish slavery).

Final sentence : Death by sword. (I would have rather see her burnt for her shitty personality too but well...)) She had some good intentions in her crimes but was too delusional that's why I won't put her to a painful death.. a shame.

Under Westerosi law Daenerys Targaryen is rightful queen of Westeros. Court dismissed by royal order. :P

Moreover under same slavery is one of the more serious crimes with death penalty (can be commuted to Wall if possible, but that cannot apply in Wessos), IE Dany going all blood and fire on slavers is just enforcing policy, law and order :)

Under Westerosi law Daenerys Targaryen is rightful queen of Westeros. Court dismissed by royal order.:P

Incorrect, it has been stated in text several times that the iron throne is by right of conquest not hereditary right. I cite the case of the children of the Forrest, who were then superseded by the first men, then in turn, the andals, then the targaryians who then also were superseded by the baratheons. In reality the right of control belongs in order to the children of the Forrest first, the north men second and then the targaryians third, baratheons fourth (note: they have targaryian blood). As such, the prosecution moves for Daenerys targaryian second of her name to be treated as a rebel to the throne. The penalty of rebellion is death and such we plead with the jury to sentence her to death based on a false claim of dominion over all of westeros. Verdict: guilty of inciting rebellion towards king Tommen I who is rightful king through the right of conquest by way of houses Lannister and Baratheons

1. Four Counts of Murder:-

1.1 The Defendant intentionally and unlawfully killed a godswife, Mirri Maz Duur, by ordering her to be tied to her husband’s funeral pyre, and then burning her alive. Guilty

1.2 The Defendant intentionally and unlawfully killed Kraznys mo Nakloz, a citizen of Astapor by instructing her dragon, Drogon, to burn him to death, which instruction was carried out. Guilty

1.3 The Defendant intentionally and unlawfully ordered her soldiers to kill a citizen of Astapor, Grazdan mo Ullor, and to massacre the adult free male inhabitants of Astapor, which order was carried out. Guilty

1.4 The Defendant intentionally and unlawfully crucified 163 of the Great Masters of Mereen. Guilty

2. One Count of Genocide.

The massacre of the adult free males of Astapor, detailed in charge 1.3, amounted to the deliberate and systematic destruction, in whole or in part, of an ethnic, racial, religious, or national group Guilty

3.1 The burning of Mirri Maz Duur, detailed in charge 1.1, amounted to torture. Guilty

3.2 The crucifixion of the Great Masters, detailed in charge 1.4, amounted to torture. Guilty

3.3 The Defendant intentionally and unlawfully ordered two wineseller’s daughters to be tortured in front of her father, in order to procure information relating to the Sons of the Harpy. Guilty

3.4 The Defendant, intentionally and unlawfully ordered numerous unnamed inhabitants of Mereen to be tortured, on suspicion that they were Sons of the Harpy. Guilty

4.1 The Defendant unlawfully and intentionally set fire to the House of the Undying in Qarth, resulting in its destruction. Self-defense. Dismiss.

4.2 The Defendant unlawfully and intentionally sacked the City of Mereen, resulting in millions of Dragons’ worth of destruction to property. Guilty

5.1 The Defendant intentionally and unlawfully waged a war of aggression against Yunkai Guilty

5.2 The Defendant intentionally and unlawfully waged a war of aggression against Mereen Guilty

Guilty of all counts, but 4.1. Death by sword.

1.1 Innocent - as the remaining source of authority Daenerys has the Power of Pits and Gallows ergo as she judged the victim to be guilty this was the execution of justice not murder

1.2 Innocent - The slaver's death was the opening move in a war against the institute of slavery and as such was a casualty of war not a murder

1.3 Innocent - Act of war and vengeance on the support of slavery. Morally deplorable but not illegal

1.4 Innocent - Act of war and vengeance on the support of slavery. Morally deplorable but not illegal.

2. Innocent - no intention to wipe out the ethnic group or culture was in the planning and survivors were not pursued

3.1 Innocent - comes under the Power of Pit and Gallows

3.2 Innocent - Punishment for similar atrocities

3.3 Guilty

3.4 Innocent - Action was taken against enemies of the state, criminal justice

4.1 Innocent - Self Defense

4.2 Innocent - Act of War

5.1 Innocent - Emaciation of slaves is valid Casus Belli

5.2 Innocent - Emaciation of slaves is valid Casus Belli

Not Guilty

If I recall correctly, forum court precedent indicates that headship of state confers no automatic immunity nor automatic lawful status for any actions taken. Only if the actions were taken in accordance with the operation of that authority (e.g. judicial executions) does headship of state operate as a defence. Moreover, such a defence is predicated on the defendant actually being a head of state and operating in that capacity within their jurisdiction. For many of the charges against Daenerys Targaryen, this defence is inapplicable. I submit that those judgments absolving Daenerys Targaryen of all charges or dismissing all charges against her on these grounds have been incorrectly reasoned. I move therefore that they should be held per incuriam and struck out as an interim measure until those judges can properly consider the relevant charges in the absence of that defence.

I further submit that genocide is always unlawful irrespective of any lawful authority possessed by the actor. Headship of state is therefore not an operative defence to the second charge, even if found to be applicable under the circumstances.

I would further submit that war only operates in a legal capacity once formally declared. Given that Daenerys Targaryen did not make a formal, or indeed any, declaration of war before taking action against Grazdan Mo Ullor, and moreover that the victim was a noncombatant, I move that this should rightly be considered, as per the indictment, a personal act of homicide rather than an act of war.

Further, I would submit that upon the world in which the events in question take place, this court has a universal and unlimited jurisdiction with the only external binding authority upon it being the judgments of GRR Martin.

If I recall correctly, forum court precedent indicates that headship of state confers no automatic immunity nor automatic lawful status for any actions taken. Only if the actions were taken in accordance with the operation of that authority (e.g. judicial executions) does headship of state operate as a defence. Moreover, such a defence is predicated on the defendant actually being a head of state and operating in that capacity within their jurisdiction. For many of the charges against Daenerys Targaryen, this defence is inapplicable. I submit that those judgments absolving Daenerys Targaryen of all charges or dismissing all charges against her on these grounds have been incorrectly reasoned. I move therefore that they should be held per incuriam and struck out as an interim measure until those judges can properly consider the relevant charges in the absence of that defence.

I further submit that genocide is always unlawful irrespective of any lawful authority possessed by the actor. Headship of state is therefore not an operative defence to the second charge, even if found to be applicable under the circumstances.

I would further submit that war only operates in a legal capacity once formally declared. Given that Daenerys Targaryen did not make a formal, or indeed any, declaration of war before taking action against Grazdan Mo Ullor, and moreover that the victim was a noncombatant, I move that this should rightly be considered, as per the indictment, a personal act of homicide rather than an act of war.

Further, I would submit that upon the world in which the events in question take place, this court has a universal and unlimited jurisdiction with the only external binding authority upon it being the judgments of GRR Martin.

Bravo, my friend. What he said.

:stunned: I swear I had to go to the diccionary several times :dunce:

I can be free of bias! Watch! :P

1.1 Not guilty. This was an execution she carried out as Khaleesi.

1.2 Not guilty. The action was an execution to a slave-dealer. And it was awesome because using dragons makes you better than most people.

1.3 Not guilty. This was an action not against local laws, where killing could be argued legal.

1.4 Not guilty. The deaths were a response to an earlier action that proved deaths could be argued legal.

2 Not guilty. No one was killed who submitted to her rule, an action no different to any other conqueror.

3.1 Not guilty. Dany finds the heat comforting. Clearly she thought she was doing Mirri Maz Duur a favour.

3.2 Not guilty. This was an execution served agains them for crimes in a city where such penalties are legal. It helps that Dany ruled the city at that time.

3.3 Not guilty. The presence of fighting pits proves violence is a normal part of Mereen life. She was probably training them.

3.4 Not guilty. They were masochists who wanted torture before they spoke.

4.1 Not guilty. The action was to free herself from the place from which she was imprisoned.

4.2 Not guilty. The city proclaimed her Queen and therefore she already oversaw responsibility for the rebuilding.

5.1 Dismissed. She won the war, and if all victors were punished then every society would collapse.

5.2 Dismissed. And she ended slavery. For a while.

errr when actually did Dany reclaim the throne at that time? or you mean as leader of the Khalasar?

In lack of any other representatives of the Westerosi nobility at the spot - She did it in face of Jorah Mormont who immediately accepted her claim. No any other Westerosi nobles contested her claim in so far. Basically every next Westerosy lord or knight who appeared in front of her eyes easily accepts her ruling.cf. Baristan Selmy, Quentyn Martel etc.,. We have also clear confessions from the common people of Westerosi society [iIRC it was evidenced from the "A Storm of Swords" annals written by someone GRRM] that they have lived in peace only during the Targs rein.

There's a huge step from calling herself Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms bla bla bla....and actually being the queen....

The court did not accept the allegation that <the words are wind...>

Instead it follows the Divine scripts where Inter alia is said

<In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. >(John 1:1)

Her claim is completely valid until:

- she has the force to exercise it;

- there is a common agreement of people around her to follow and obey her;

- no one nearby is able to remove her from Power.

On the account of slavery being unlawful, she as a head of state, has no right to deem was is lawful or illegal on a territory which is not under her autority.

She has of course the rigth to declare war against such territory and conquer it, but not the right to execute people for actions comited before slavery became illegal.

The court made its check and held that relying on the precedent established by the Nuremberg Trials, 1947 AD.

In short a series of military tribunals, held by the Allied forces of World War II, prosecuted prominent members of the political, military, and economic leadership of Nazi Germany.

The main charge was Crime and Atrocity Against the Humanity. Irrespective of where and when done.

There is no time bar or geograhical/ inter planetary restrictions for the evli deeds such as slavery. This is the Law. Appeal dismissed.

Archived