Official Court of Law v 8, Daenerys Targaryen

SeanF

Sacrifice a betrayer

How precisely did Mirri Maaz Duur betray her though?

By not healing Drogo's wound?

When she was done she painted the skin with red ointment, covered it with more leaves, and bound the breast in a ragged piece of lambskin. “You must say the prayers I give you and keep the lambskin in place for ten days and ten nights,” she said. “There will be fever, and itching, and a great scar when the healing is done.”

Khal Drogo sat, bells ringing. “I sing of my scars, sheep woman.” He flexed his arm and scowled.

“Drink neither wine nor the milk of the poppy,” she cautioned him. “Pain you will have, but you must keep your body strong to fight the poison spirits.”

She went to Drogo burning on his mat, and gazed long at his wound. “Ask or tell, it makes no matter. He is beyond a healer’s skills.” The khal’s eyes were closed. She opened one with her fingers. “He has been dulling the hurt with milk of the poppy.”

“Yes,” Dany admitted.

“I made him a poultice of firepod and sting-me-not and bound it in a lambskin.”

“It burned, he said. He tore it off. The herbwomen made him a new one, wet and soothing.”

“It burned, yes. There is great healing magic in fire, even your hairless men know that.”

“Make him another poultice,” Dany begged. “This time I will make certain he wears it.”

So given Drogo and Daenerys followed precisely zero of MMD advice, she didn't betray her here.

By killing Rhaego in the womb?

“Once I begin to sing, no one must enter this tent. My song will wake powers old and dark. The dead will dance here this night.

No living man must look on them.”

Dany bowed her head, helpless. “No one will enter.”

Ser Jorah had killed her son, Dany knew. He had done what he did for love and loyalty, yet he had carried her into a place no living man should go and fed her baby to the darkness.

By not bringing Drogo back the way Daenerys wanted?

“There is a spell.” Her voice was quiet, scarcely more than a whisper. “But it is hard, lady, and dark. Some would say that death is cleaner. I learned the way in Asshai, and paid dear for the lesson. My teacher was a bloodmage from the Shadow Lands.”

“He lives,” said Mirri Maz Duur. “You asked for life. You paid for life.”

“This is not life, for one who was as Drogo was. His life was laughter, and meat roasting over a firepit, and a horse between his legs. His life was an arakh in his hand and his bells ringing in his hair as he rode to meet an enemy. His life was his bloodriders, and me, and the son I was to give him.”

Again, Mirri Maaz Duur warns her, and she ignores it.

1. Four Counts of Murder:-

1.1 The Defendant intentionally and unlawfully killed a godswife, Mirri Maz Duur, by ordering her to be tied to her husband’s funeral pyre, and then burning her alive.

ETA: Guilty. She was not Queen there yet, they chose to follow her after Mirri Maz Duur was already dead. Therefore, she should be deemed guilty of murder here.

1.2 The Defendant intentionally and unlawfully killed Kraznys mo Nakloz, a citizen of Astapor by instructing her dragon, Drogon, to burn him to death, which instruction was carried out.

Guilty. She was no Queen there, there was not a lawful reason to do that, other than the fact she did not agree with their culture.

1.3 The Defendant intentionally and unlawfully ordered her soldiers to kill a citizen of Astapor, Grazdan mo Ullor, and to massacre the adult free male inhabitants of Astapor, which order was carried out.

Guilty. They were not even all adults, but also children of 12 years and older. This was a pure act of revenge.

1.4 The Defendant intentionally and unlawfully crucified 163 of the Great Masters of Mereen.

Guilty. She did not even know whether they were all Great Masters, as she let them choose them amongst themselves. She should have known of the possibility that the guilty ones weren't the ones crucified.

2. One Count of Genocide.

The massacre of the adult free males of Astapor, detailed in charge 1.3, amounted to the deliberate and systematic destruction, in whole or in part, of an ethnic, racial, religious, or national group.

Guilty.

3. Four Counts of Torture

3.1 The burning of Mirri Maz Duur, detailed in charge 1.1, amounted to torture.

Guilty.

3.2 The crucifixion of the Great Masters, detailed in charge 1.4, amounted to torture.

Guilty.

3.3 The Defendant intentionally and unlawfully ordered two wineseller’s daughters to be tortured in front of her father, in order to procure information relating to the Sons of the Harpy.

Guilty. As she herself deems torture a wrong thing, she should be deemed guilty here.

3.4 The Defendant, intentionally and unlawfully ordered numerous unnamed inhabitants of Mereen to be tortured, on suspicion that they were Sons of the Harpy.

Guilty. See 3.3

4. Two Counts of Criminal Damage to Property.

4.1 The Defendant unlawfully and intentionally set fire to the House of the Undying in Qarth, resulting in its destruction

Not guilty. They were trying to kill her, or the House was, and this was defence.

4.2 The Defendant unlawfully and intentionally sacked the City of Mereen, resulting in millions of Dragons’ worth of destruction to property.

Guilty. Sacking cities is never a good thing. See what came out of that.

5. Two counts of Waging Wars of Aggression

5.1 The Defendant intentionally and unlawfully waged a war of aggression against Yunkai

Guilty.

5.2 The Defendant intentionally and unlawfully waged a war of aggression against Mereen

Guilty.

Verdict: The defendant Daenerys Targaryen is hereby sentenced to death by sword.

I find her guilty of all counts save the charges of destroying the house of the undying, and the property damage to Mereen.

House of the Undying:

The evidence at bar notes that the Undying were sexually molesting Dany, while she was in their presence, and attempting to trap her there. Furthermore, Dany didn't actually commit the arson of lighting the fire; her dragon did that. A person cannot be held criminally liable for the actions of their pet, however, the Undying have a clear civil claim against her.

Mereen:

True, she has caused much property damage, but as she took over the city as its queen, it is hers to do with as she pleases due to executive privilege, however, she is open to civil claims by the defense.

However, as she is guilty of murders before becoming queen of Mereen, she is hereby sentenced to Death by beheading.

Just wondering whether Danny can make the insanity plea?? In that case she is not guilty by reason of insanity -- She is after all the Mad King's daughter and has never been very mentally stable especially considering all that she has been through

The Court will accept an aquittal on the ground of insanity, upon condition that the Defendant is securely confined for the rest of her life.

This is indeed a very good argument. I move to change my verdict on that count. This has however no impact on the verdict, considering the nature of the other charges.

It is indeed a very good argument, and in future, the Court will have to consider the nature of the sentences at its disposal.

It remains open for a judge to conclude that the killings of Mirri Maz Duur, and the Great Masters amounted both to murder and to torture.

Gulity on all charges save 1.1, 3.1, 5.1 and 5.2

1.1 - She is the Khaleesi, and once Drogo is dead and his Kos come newly made Khals are gone, she is the source of authority and law for the remainder of her Khalasar, she sentenced Mirri Maz Duur to death, as is her right. Not guilty.

3.1 - If burning someone to death is an unlawful act and not an acceptable method of execution, then how could this court have it as a list of possible punishments? Legitimate way of execution, not guilty.

5.1 & 5.2, wartime situations, completely acceptable practice, not guilty.

Guilty on all other counts, and seeing as she's already exiled and doesn't have much in the way of lands and titles, ill have to say death by sword.

Under Westerosi law Daenerys Targaryen is rightful queen of Westeros. Court dismissed by royal order. :P

The Court neither accepts nor rejects the validity of the Defendant's claim to the Iron Throne. It is, however, a matter of both law and fact that the Defendant is not the Head of State of Westeros, and therefore the Court remains in session.

It is necessary to comment on the issue of Sovereign immunity from prosecution.

It is not a blanket defence to charges of criminal conduct on the part of a Head of State. A Head of State who retires, is impeached, is deposed, or is voted out of office can be tried for offences which he or she has committed in office. Hence, Charles Stuart, formerly King Charles I, was tried and executed for offences committed while he was King; likewise Charles Taylor, former President of Liberia.

It is an argument that a Head of State cannot be prosecuted for a criminal offence, during such time as he or she remains Head of State. That is the law in both the United States, and the United Kingdom, but it is not the law in many other juristictions. A serving President may be prosecuted in the Irish Republic, for example, or in Israel, where a serving President was convicted or rape.

Hence, judges need to consider whether i) Daenerys is a serving Head of State, and if so ii) does she have immunity from prosecution, during such period as she remains in office.

The Court will not accept any argument that Daenerys is Head of State of Westeros.

For everything stated: Innocent. Dany is Queen and under her lawful authority were all people tortured or executed or had their cities destroyed.

So, if I understand you correctly, if the Queen of the Netherlands does all this stuff in Belgium, that is perfectly fine, because she is a Queen and has thus lawful authority to do pretty much anything? Daenerys is Queen of nothing other than her people. Not Westeros, not the whole of Essos. She wasn't queen of Meereen, Astapor or Yunkai before or while she attacked/sacked them. Therefore, she had no lawful authority of anything other than her own people.

So, if I understand you correctly, if the Queen of the Netherlands does all this stuff in Belgium, that is perfectly fine, because she is a Queen and has thus lawful authority to do pretty much anything? Daenerys is Queen of nothing other than her people. Not Westeros, not the whole of Essos. She wasn't queen of Meereen, Astapor or Yunkai before or while she attacked/sacked them. Therefore, she had no lawful authority of anything other than her own people.

She also lost all status under Dothraki law as Khaleesi once Drogo died.

Granted, but then they could say that people chose to follow her and take her for their Queen. Drogo's bloodriders, for example, chose to follow her, (after some time) just like some others.

But only after she burnt MMD, so she'd still be on the hook for that one.

But only after she burnt MMD, so she'd still be on the hook for that one.

Sh* you are right. Changing my post then, nevermind.

And she could still be tried for all the other counts, as she was not Queen of the whole of Essos and had no right to attack those cities just because she could.

I suppose this one more depends on the individual's views on the validity of euthanisia.

I don't think Drogo ever consented with that euthanasia thing, though. I live in the Netherlands, where euthanasia is legal, but here it means you, as a patient, should consent with the act. Unless it is about little children, then there is sometimes an exception and the parents can then decide what happens. But, as far as I know, in every country where it is legal, it should have the consent of the patient him/herself.

Archived