Best Warrior in Westeros

Fat of the Canals

Throughout the first 2 books or so, I feel like the consensus was something like:

1) Gregor Clegane

2) Jaime Lannister

3) Loras Tyrell

4) Sandor Clegane

5) Old Barristan Selmy

At this point all these people are dead, possibly dead, crippled, headless, even older, etc. Who does that leave?

Gerold Dayne? Lyn Corbray? Victarion Greyjoy? Areo Hotah?

I guess the boring answer is "Robert Strong" (as an aside, I feel like Qyburn was about to introduce his undead creation to Ser Kevan, realized he'd forgotten to name him, then had exactly one second to think of something before Kevan got suspicious. Horrible name). But that's a bit of a copout since presumably the Mountain can't die twice.

There's obviously no right answer, but the right answer is Victarion Greyjoy. The epilogue of A Dream of Spring should be him and Areo Hotah fighting to the death on a sinking ship.

Why did you put the Mountain on top?

He would never ever defeat Jamie or his Brother, and I think even an old Baristan is able to defeat him.

He lost always agains the red Viper, Oberyn only died because he wanted him to confess that Tywin had given the orders to kill Elias kids.

The Mountain is big and strong, but nothing else. Not enough to win against a real skilled fighter!

I personally would not rank either of the Clegane brothers quite so high. Jaime said in his POVs that while they were powerful and strong he could have beat them due to his superior technique. Same goes for guys like Greatjon Umber and Rolland Crakehall - big guys that are more about power are a good bet against your average hedge knight for sure, but against real skilled swordsman like Jaime or Barristan I wouldn't be so sure.

We also have very little evidence to suggest Loras Tyrell is really that great of a warrior. Garlan Tyrell is and definitely belongs at least in the Top 10, but Loras is more of tourney jouster. We have very little to go on suggesting Loras is that great in a real fight.

I'd definitely also give nods to Corbray, Victarion, Rolland Storm, Randyll Tarly, Jason Mallister, even Brienne...Darkstars abilities are still questionable at this time.

The Mance could probably hold his own in swordplay. And Lothor Brune appears to be a capable self-taught fighter.

I never really rated Gregor per say at the top of my list. He is large and strong, can decimate any Joe Bloggs, but as shown by Oberyn and as Bronn stated anyone with speed can topple him. I think an un-drunk Sandor had the right combination of strength with enough speed to be a deadlier all-rounder.

Oh, and Brienne.

load of wildlings are now south of the wall. Id say Tormont is therefore up there in the top ten, if his reputation is anything to judge by. Brienne has to be included I think. we haven't really seen darkstar fight. loras is in an unknown state. maybe some of the clansmen, we haven't seen any of them really fight. Jaime is obviously not on the list anymore. don't know about Randyll. Victarion has left westeros for the time being, so he technically doesn't count. if we count archers, then Anguy definitely makes the list. Bronn probably is up there, simply by virtue of most of the best warriors already being dead. I think it was mentioned that Jon was a pretty good swordsman, but i don't know if that really puts him up there, and he hasn't really fought any other swordsman. Asha did seem to hold her own, was taken down more due to being outnumbered, so maybe, but not sure on that one. haven't seen Euron fight, though i think he is supposed to be good.

You severely underestimate Gregor's strength. It is a significant advantage, comparable to someone of Jaime's skill.

Bronn suggests that he might be able to beat Gregor, but he does not consider it a battle worth attempting due to the danger involved.

That said, the circumstances of the battle determine far more what happens than minute differences in skill. Oberyn Martell was clearly the more skilled fighter, but he lost to Gregor rather spectacularly, after playing around with him for quite a while.

But that is really an aside. The best current warrior may be Areo Hotah. Garlan Tyrell is a notable contestant (simply due to the comparison of him with Loras), as is Barristan the Bold. Brienne is not quite up there, though she is ahead of most everyone else. There is too little information on any of the rest to give proper determination, though the lack of information may itself be an indicator.

Nobody remembers the kid who despite not even old enough to get a suit of armor, killed and captured several knights during the Blackwater Bay battle.

Is that one of Jaime's squires further on?

EDIT: Also about Gregor, when I said 'anyone' I meant in the top charts of our lists, not a particularly fast Joe Bloggs.

Darkstar couldn't even kill a defenseless child, overrated. Victarion is overrated, a night with a Rose on his shield gave him problems. It's tough because you eaither have the reps of men past their prime, and no real one on one fights recently.

1. Wun Wun

2. Ser Berristan, look until someone actually beats the guy, he's the guy even at 3 and 60.

3. Jamie he is gonna go all Half Hand sooner or later. Then it's back to the top.

4. Mance, totally underrated, Jon was not even a warm up, and as Tormund points out he has killed a hell of a lot of people and others. He didn't become king beyond the wall for his sweet personality.

5. Bronn/Sandor

6. Garlan/Mallister

15. Bree/Obara Bree is not as good in a real fight as she is in a tourney but still pretty bad ass.

200,760. Darkstar, could not even kill a undefended child. Fore shame Darkstar, fore shame.

It would depend somewhat on the nature of the combat. Victarion Greyjoy is a formidable fighter, but would be at a significant disadvantage on horseback; fighting on vessels at sea whose decks were rolling with the motion of the waves, by contrast, I suspect he would beat virtually anyone - the knights would be unused to such conditions, just as Victarion would be unused to horses.

I don't believe that there necessarily is one supreme warrior in Westeros; only dragons truly bestow such power. In their absence, different warriors would be better suited to different conditions.

Of course, 'warrior' doesn't have to mean combatant: it could mean general. In which case, Stannis Baratheon and Randyll Tarly are both mentioned in text as being the leaders in the field.

All good points, I think it's correct to say there's a few general categories; for example, I'd argue that no one was a bigger asset on a battlefield than Gregor, even if Jaime or a few others could have bested him in single combat. Gregor's move at the Battle of the Green Fork (where he vaulted over the spear lines, sacrificed his horse, and emerged completely unharmed while beheading people immediately on the other side) would likely have been impossible for anyone else to even attempt, and I think Tyrion notes that he made it look routine. So his greatest asset was being so difficult to even hurt, let alone kill, which obviously saved him against Oberyn. Of course, battle commanders like Tarly and Stannis have an entirely different kind of value.

So maybe it should be: 1) Best swordsman (i.e. single combat), 2) Best battlefield asset, 3) Best commander

as far as best battlefield asset, still the archer. can basically snipe other side's important players, best swordsman id probably lean towards mance after some consideration (if he is alive) and commander id say either Martel or Jon Snow, if we are only going by best still alive. best in the serries is clearly totally different

Archived