Best Warrior in Westeros

Fat of the Canals

I think more criteria for the actual fight needs to be set out. If its just who could cut down the most bog standard infantrymen I would say Sandor Clegane is the best.

1 on 1 fight to the death, would have to be Belwas. No one else comes close to his experience level at this style of fighting, he lets his opponents cut him once and he is criss crossed in hundreds of scars. I defy anyone to prove someone else has killed this many men in 1 on 1 style combat.

are we sure about this? They were primed and ready when Catelyn and Brienne fled, did we ever find out whether Loras was the first to get there or if they weren't ready to fight? seems unlikely.

also Garlan went crazy at the Blackwater and killed Guyard Morrigen in single combat, another of the Rainbow guard and possibly Stannis' best swordsman. Both the Tyrells seem legit to me.

Were they expecting a fight from a man who was in the Rainbow Guard with them though? Somehow I doubt it. And I acknowledged all that about Garlan in my original post - I was actually trying to make a point that Garlan is much more deserving of recognition as a warrior than Loras, though I wouldn't say Garlan "went crazy" when he killed Guyard Morrigen, he just defeated Morrigen in single combat, which is definitely a feat given Morrigen seemed to have quite a reputation.

However, ask Ser Rolland Storm, The Bastard of Nightsong how Loras is in a real battle hahaha.

What proof is there that Darkstar is any good?

I think the only proof is that he seems to be really awesome.

this is the only proof thats needed.

And yet you put Darkstar as a possibility for number one. Pot meet kettle.

Darkstar has hype on his side. a lot of hype. Jon and Doran dont even have that much.

Were they expecting a fight from a man who was in the Rainbow Guard with them though? Somehow I doubt it. And I acknowledged all that about Garlan in my original post - I was actually trying to make a point that Garlan is much more deserving of recognition as a warrior than Loras, though I wouldn't say Garlan "went crazy" when he killed Guyard Morrigen, he just defeated Morrigen in single combat, which is definitely a feat given Morrigen seemed to have quite a reputation.

However, ask Ser Rolland Storm, The Bastard of Nightsong how Loras is in a real battle hahaha.

after Catelyn convinced Royce she was innocent, Robar turns and says "i will hold them" or something to that effect. i don't think it is out of question to think he was expecting to fight, even if they were his own men at the time.

also the Garlan going crazy wasn't referring to Morrigen, but how he was supposedly cutting down other knights as well on the battlefield and such.

Barristan may now be the Bald... but he's also still the Badassed.

The effortless destruction of the Titan's bastard with a wooden staff proved that to me conclusively.

Assuming we're talking purely about one-on-one battle competence using weapon of choice, I would put him, Brienne, Garlan, and Mance all roughly on a level.

Next tier down: Bronn, Corbray, and a variety of others. Hotah likely belongs here but we just don't have enough info.

I think Mance is underrated, Darkstar overrated, Jaime too under....handed, the Hound too uncertain in terms of morale or health, and Loras too overcooked.

Andrik the Unsmiling does seem, based on limited data, likely to be extremely formidable. I like his chances as a melee dark horse.

Yes, over Gregor. Does Sandor strike you as particularly frightened when he jumps into the ring to save Loras ? No, he holds his brother off with almost contemptuous ease.

see that was fighting with swords though. I doubt anyone could beat Gregor with their fists alone. Hes just too damn strong.

Are we changing the conditions of the discussion now ? Yes of course it would be with swords....the question was who's the best warrior, not who's the best brawler.

the post you replied to about gregor was meant for this guy>

I'm taking a "last person I'd want to be in the Octagon with view" -Sandor Clegane.

you dont take swords into the octagon.

With these two conditions, I would have to say that from what we have seen in the books, I would think the most dangerous man to meet on the opposite side of a fight is indeed Sandor Clegane. He's strong yet fast like Bronn, he has no concept of honor to keep him from dirty tricks and he absolutely has no fear or value in his own life, making him willing to do just about anything to kill you without the reservations of someone without said death wish.

Sandor resorting to dirty tricks and has no concept of honor? Can you provide any examples? He saves Loras. Ned notes that, while Gregor swings at Sandor's head, Sandor does not swing at Gregor's unhelmed head. He waits for Polliver and the Tickler to attack him at the inn at the crossroads before engaging in a fight ("I was waiting for you to do something stupid"). He gives a dying soldier the gift of mercy. And Beric tells the BwB that, while Sandor would gladly kill them all, he wouldn't do it while they were sleeping. He's actually very honorable and fights fairly.

Best warriors in Westeros: Jaime, Sandor, Barristan, Garlan, Brienne, Asha, and Victarion.

Archived