Best Warrior in Westeros

Fat of the Canals

Can you provide any examples?

Riding down unarmed butcher boys, attacking unarmed peasants, I could dig up more, I am sure.

Ned notes that, while Gregor swings at Sandor's head, Sandor does not swing at Gregor's unhelmed head.

He's not a moron, nor quite that suicidal. Do you think him killing his brother in front of pretty much everyone that matters in the Realm is going to go unpunished ? Gregor is a Lord, Sandor is a glorified sellsword. He would get put to death in a second.

He waits for Polliver and the Tickler to attack him at the inn at the crossroads before engaging in a fight ("I was waiting for you to do something stupid").

Again, less "honor" and more "I don't want to be hunted down as a murderer". There are plenty of other people in the Inn, all of them could go report that Sandor Clegane just murdered Lord Tywin's men. With them attacking him first, he's perfectly in his right to defend himself and kill them.

He gives a dying soldier the gift of mercy.

I never said he was completely without mercy.

He's not a moron, nor quite that suicidal. Do you think him killing his brother in front of pretty much everyone that matters in the Realm is going to go unpunished ? Gregor is a Lord, Sandor is a glorified sellsword. He would get put to death in a second.

Again, less "honor" and more "I don't want to be hunted down as a murderer". There are plenty of other people in the Inn, all of them could go report that Sandor Clegane just murdered Lord Tywin's men. With them attacking him first, he's perfectly in his right to defend himself and kill them.

Doesn't your third point undermine your second point? Gregor may be a Lord, but as you say everyone saw that Gregor first killed his horse, attacked the winner of the joust and that Sandor was defending the unarmed Loras. Sandor didn't initiate the fight, and is defending "the innocent". Would he be put to death for a "just act" which the King, the Hand and many others of wealth and reknown witnessed.

Not saying Sandor was going out to kill Gregor though. Sandor wanted to kill Gregor generally, just not in that situation.

Just because Gregor went off his skull, this apparently wasn't considered much of a crime at all. There is no mention of him being punished over it. Thus, saying that Sandor killing him over it would have been a "just act" is stretching it a bit. Again, the law isn't equal in Westeros, and Gregor is in a completely different social strata from Sandor.

In their prime I think the top tier would be Arthur Dayne, Barristan Selmy, Jaime Lannister, Mance Rayder, Qhorin Halfhand Oberyn Martell, Khal Drogo, Sandor Clegane, Garlan Tyrell and Robert Baratheon (I'm leaving out the warriors before living memory so no Daemon Blackfyre or Aemon the Dragonknight).

Gregor Clegane, the Smiling Knight, Rhaegar Targaryen, Syrio Forel and maybe a couple more could probably beat one of those with luck on their side but I always imagine they're not quite up there, especially Gregor since he's all about strength, reach and ridiculous armour, not skill.

At the start of Game of Thrones I'd say Jaime, Oberyn, Mance, Qhorin, Drogo and Sandor are on the same level with Gregor, Syrio and an older Barristan not far behind. Garlan's unproven at this point as far as I know, maybe he's up there, maybe not.

By the time we get to the end of Dance we're down to Mance but Garlan's made his name so those would be my top two. After that it's tricky thinking if anyone else is in the same league, definitely Sandor if he was the gravedigger and heals ok. I can imagine Robert Strong would be, depends on how well Qyburn's pieced Gregor's body back together, what kind of magic's at work and how clever a fighter he is. There's a lot less fighters around at this stage so Lynn Corbray, Bronze Yohn Royce, Victarion, Andrik the Unsmiling and Bronn might be worth thinking about to name a few. Jaime could be up there again if he learns to use his left like Qhorin did, Jon Snow and Loras Tyrell are still too young to be great, I think.

There are a lot of fierce and skilled warriors in Westeros. However, if I had to pick anyone from history, it'd be an enraged Robert Baratheon. He's the man I'd want to fight least.

In the series however, I'd have to give it to a two handed Jaime.

The first two books my list goes like this:

1. Jaime (Most skilled fighter in terms of technique and speed, + after months of imprisonment and starvation (also shackled) almost takes down Brienne of Tarth)

2. Gregor/Hound (I find that what the Hound may lack a little in pure strength he makes up for in speed)

3. Garlan Tyrell (Much better fighter than his brother, who is more famed for his jousting than swordsmanship)

4. Barristan Selmy (Dude is a beast I mean come on. Was Dayne's equal when both had regular swords.)

5. Mance Rayder (Beat most of the Wildling Clan's leaders in single combat to gain their loyalty, also kicks Jon Snows ass)

Riding down unarmed butcher boys, attacking unarmed peasants, I could dig up more, I am sure.

I never said he was completely without mercy.

With regard to Mycah, Sandor was obeying a order given by the queen. As far as he knew, Mycah attacked Joffrey. Not that I excuse this.

I think Sandor's defense of Loras demonstrates he has honor, albeit his own twisted sense of honor. And, since Sandor was already a wanted man for desertion when he was at the inn, I highly doubt he was concerned about being perceived as a murderer.

Regardless, there is nothing that supports your assertion that Sandor resorts to trickery. We only know he kills when it's a royal command, an act of self-defense, or in battle.

So, back on topic, Sandor is one of the best warriors in Westeros and doesn't not need to resort to trickery.

• 1 month later...

If we're talking about Westeros, and in the present time being the end of aDwD. taking into account characters current state of mind and physical shape and proven prowess in battle . My list would be in no particular order:

Areo Hotah

Brienne of Tarth

Balon Swann

Bronn

The list is getting shorter and shorter each book :(

Conan. Wait, wrong forum.

I would think the most dangerous man to meet on the opposite side of a fight is indeed Sandor Clegane. He's strong yet fast like Bronn, he has no concept of honor to keep him from dirty tricks and he absolutely has no fear or value in his own life, making him willing to do just about anything to kill you without the reservations of someone without said death wish.

Of course, he may or may not be dead, or *shiver* have had a change of heart recently.

Sandor is the man to me as well, in addition to being fast like Bronn, he is also almost as large and strong as Gregor. At the duel he had not trouble keeping Gregor off him and as Ned noted did not even try once to kill him.

As much as I love Victarion, I don't think he's the best in Westeros. I would rank them like this:

1) Areo Hotah. They way they talk about him, he seems unstoppable.

2) Barristan Selmy. Toss up with Hotah, but age puts him 2nd for me.

3) Garlan Tyrell. Loras admits Garlan is a better fighter, seems like someone bred for combat.

4) Mance Rayder. Very smart, became King Beyond the Wall for a reason.

5) Sandor Clegane. The Hound is a beast.

6) Victarion Greyjoy. Depends on the situation, but he is a great warrior.

7) Darkstar. Could be higher, could be way lower. We really don't know shit about him.

8) Loras Tyrell. Not as good as his brother, but obviously an extremely skilled fighter.

9) Bronn. Fast as hell, crafty.

10) Lyn Corbray. Going off his big reputation.

H.M. Greatjon Umber, Brienne, Thoros, Tormund

Thoros of Myr won the melee at the Tourney of the Hand in the first book didn't he? He also was the first through the breach at the Siege of Pyke and lived to tell the tale, I think people may be underestimating him. He's also beat Sandor Clegane 3 times in melee tournaments (probably due to Sandor's fear of fire)

Archived