Ramsey's sick game

Bad Hound!

Right, so Ramsey, bastard son of Roose Bolton used to get a girl naked, and "release" her in the forest around the Dreadfort and give her the night to escape before he hunts her with his dogs.

Made me think - what would a clever (and physically fit, one hopes) girl do to give herself the best chance of escaping?

First instinct would be to run away as far away from the Dreadfort as possible. Maybe cross a few rivers to confuse the scent for the dogs - although you do waste time doing that (can't run fast in a stream or river).

But how far could you realistically go? Don't forget you're naked, so no shoes. Hopefully you know where the roads are around the Dreadfort, so you'd select one to run as fast as possible and build distance between the castle and you - at least during the night. But come first light, you know Ramsey is up, horsed and ready to go. So you can't stay on the road, he'd find you too easily. So what do you do?

I guess you leave the road about 1 hour before first light, and dive into the forest. How many kms would you have done by then? If you started running at, say, 8pm and you decide to leave the road at 4am, that's 8 hours running (with no shoes, on a dirt track). How many kms? I'd say you would have done a max of 70 kms, and that's if you're mega-fit and didn't take much rest, and have ultra-hard feet soles allowing you to run barefeet. Realistically I think you can do a max of 60 kms.

What do you think? Would Ramsey's dogs find you 60kms from the castle?

And where could you hide so that the dogs wouldn't find you? You probably want to find some clothes at some stage, else you'll die of exposure and cold when night falls. Would you go to a peasant's house, hope to be able to steal some clothes undetected?

There isn't much you can do, really. The dogs have been trained to hunt people. They're pretty good at it.

Your best hope to confuse them is go upstream, and like you said cross a river, and double back, go somewhere where no one would expect you to be. Then, just hope for the best.

I agree with going upstream but I see 2 problems with that:

- when Ramsey realises you've crossed a river, he'll start by trying to pick the scent around the crossing point. When it's clear the dogs don't pick anything, he'll go upstream too. And he'll know where you've left the river. So going upstream might not be the silver bullet?

- is it that realistic to go upstream for a long time? Rivers would be pretty cold. It's night. You're freezing. How long can you go upstream for? A few dozen metres, I'd say. And then what?

I am starting to think distance is your best bet, rather than trying to use rivers. I may be wrong. I just don't know what I would do.

I agree with getting in the water if I can....but how cold is the water? What LIVES in the water? I live in a place where there are some bodies of water you do not want to get in because of what lives in there. Alligators,snakes,loggerheads ect. (Then again, getting eaten might be a kinder fate.) And lets not stop there. Are there bandits in the forest? A naked , unarmed woman will not last five seconds if she encounters thugs.

I know this is going to sound so depressing but this is the truth - I'd be foraging the forests for poisonous plants, sharp sticks, whatever I could use. But not to defend myself. It would be to kill myself if I thought I'd be taken alive. Id rather off myself then let them catch me. Failing that, I'd find a cliff to leap from. Any death would be kinder then the one they'd give me.

Yeah, not sure they have gators and snakes so far North - but I reckon the rivers would be too cold to walk / swim in them for too long.

Killing yourself.... maybe. But in those situations, don't they say survival instinct take over?

I agree that if you meet someone in the forest or on the road, you're toast. Doesn't even need to be bandits, even farmers might want to take advantage of a naked girl. But I was guessing you don't meet many people on northern roads at night - do people ever travel at night?

Having said that, you're likely to come across a wolf or something...

Killing yourself.... maybe. But in those situations, don't they say survival instinct take over?

To be perfectly honest, it would be hard to say without ever actually being in that situation. I could sit here and speculate over what I think I might do, but who knows what I'd actually do if I had to do it?

It's a pretty hopeless situation though. I'd try to hold off harming myself at least until I heard the dogs. But at that point about the only option you have if you haven't escaped by then is choosing which way you're going to die.

I cannot remember, but are the girls necessaryily naked?

As isn't part of the game being that Ramsey is giving them the false hope that have escaped him and they don't know they are actually being hunted until to late?

To be perfectly honest, it would be hard to say without ever actually being in that situation. I could sit here and speculate over what I think I might do, but who knows what I'd actually do if I had to do it?

It's a pretty hopeless situation though. I'd try to hold off harming myself at least until I heard the dogs. But at that point about the only option you have if you haven't escaped by then is choosing which way you're going to die.

I agree. I was just trying to imagine in my head the hopelessness of the situation and if/how would I cope.

It think your last point is good - you can try to escape all night, but when you hear the dogs, you know it's over and you might try to kill yourself.

Steal a horse, ride like the wind for Winterfell.

If you find a horse!! Where are you gonna find a horse at night. Unless there is a village near the Dreadfort. Do we know what is around the Dreadfort?

Something else occurred to me. What if you ditched the following the lake plan? I don't know what the terrain is like around Ramsay's castle, but what if you deliberately took paths that would make it impossible to take horses and really aggravating to trek through? The dogs might still get you though....and you'd have to know where you were going to not be lost in the wilderness forever.

I agree. I was just trying to imagine in my head the hopelessness of the situation and if/how would I cope.

It think your last point is good - you can try to escape all night, but when you hear the dogs, you know it's over and you might try to kill yourself.

I think it also depends very heavily on the emotional state of the person fleeing. I'd try to focus more on being angry than scared. A person that's scared can panic and freeze up whereas when a person is pissed....well, when I'm pissed, I'm pretty vindictive. I would take myself out just to spite him and rob him of the pleasure. After all, that was the whole point of the chase.

I would like to be clever and lure him close enough to kill him. But I'd have to have the element of surprise and do it with my bare hands. That has a low to just about zero chance of success since Ramsay is a coward and has lackeys. (Seriously? You need cronies,horses and dogs to go after a lone, unarmed person?)

Well, that's it. You must be pretty panicky and all over the place when he releases you. So you're stood there, just outside the walls of the castle, naked, the stupid guards laughing at you from behind their walls. You know you've got 8 hours before he gets out. I'm sure you first spend a few minutes panicking, not knowing what to do, your mind in a right tizzy. But eventually, that moment passes, and you force yourself to think rationally. What is your best chance of escape? This is life and (horrible) death, no middle ground.

I favour the running, because you don't need to think: just run ahead. And while you run, think about everything. If there's a village, go there and try to steal a horse (how easy would that be, though? You'd think villagers would guard their horses against robbers, as it must be an expensive animal to buy and own).

If no village, run through the forest or on the road. Forest is good because it makes it hard for horsed people to follow. But progress is slow.

Road is good as you can cover a longer distance. But easily followed.

Jez, even with the luxury of having time to think about it, I still don't know what I should do!!

Aye, I would have opted for killing myself - but I also realise that in an extreme situation like this I'm probably the kind of person to somwhow acquire a new and desperate need for life and the the survival instinct kicks in.

I know distance is probably a best bet, but I'd like to find somewhere with other women. A place I might garner some pity and have someone to help me, i'm not sure you'll get this wondering around the forests, even if you manage to make it a long way through the trees, the dogs will sniff you out and Ramsay will get you. Most likely.

There are a few women that survived aren't there? Possibly.

With the river, you wouldn't even need to be IN it for a long time, cross it, perhaps stay for a minute or two, then get out the other side and follow it on the shore to get to a settlement or a town or a house or SOMEWHERE that might have people, and females.

Because, I'm sorry guys, but in this world, I don't think a naked, hysterical woman is going to find a kindred spirit in a random hunter in the forrest.

What do you mean myth?

If you follow water for long enough, , you WILL find settlements, towns, civilisations. These places are all built around water being freely available.

Streams become rivers and rivers eventually flow into the sea, but you won't be able to run THAT far in the limited amount of time, but perhaps you could find a house or something somewhere, that doesn't seem implausible to me at all.

Make a sword out of a branch and go out the hard way.

It won't be a hard way with dogs around. A dog like that would make a short work out of anyone armed with a stick who isn't especially trained. Really, one good bite and one won't be able to use a hand at all.

Because, I'm sorry guys, but in this world, I don't think a naked, hysterical woman is going to find a kindred spirit in a random hunter in the forrest.

Yes, it's horrible but I think finding someone who can help you in exchange for sex would be a stroke of luck. While sitting safely in front of computer I think it's hard to understand for us what person in mortal fear is capable of.

Archived