Oberyn Martell (Spoilers)

Keturah

thanks for the reminder :(

that was my red wedding moment. i actually had a conversation with george about it and gave him, what i think, is a better scenario.

"after oberyn pinned the mountain to the ground with his poison tipped spear, he casually sat just out of gregor's reach and had a sandwich while waiting on the bastard to die." end scene.

I know. It was a bit disappointing. It would have been poetic justice and all.

But then with GRRM, you never know what to expect next.

That's what makes this series so awesome. He does not adhere to cliches.

thanks for the reminder :(

that was my red wedding moment. i actually had a conversation with george about it and gave him, what i think, is a better scenario.

"after oberyn pinned the mountain to the ground with his poison tipped spear, he casually sat just out of gregor's reach and had a sandwich while waiting on the bastard to die." end scene.

Lol, much better!

He was great but I think ultimately, he could have handled the whole situation better.

It's sad because he was obviously an extremely talented fighter (he took down the mountain after all).

I would have loved to have seen him in more battles!

I guess Oberyn was a victim of the fact that Tyrion had to be convicted. The entire sub-plot with Oberyn was nicely twisted by G.R.R., in my opinion, from the moment when we see him arrive and talk to Tyrion about when he was born. I also liked the subtle way in which G.R.R. endeared him to us, especially when Bron wouldn't take the job of defending Tyrion, while Oberyn would. And he fought nicely. Emotionally, to some degree, but not to the point where he wouldn't focus enough on the job. And I loved Tyrion's comment about his feeling innocent.

I think that he served his purpose and he served it well, the conversations he and Tyron had In the Kingswood and in Tyrions sell during his trial were very informative plot wise..and I'm sure nobody will disagree that his death @ the hands of the mountain(wish it were still Conan Stevens) will make for damn good television

nobody will disagree that his death @ the hands of the mountain(wish it were still Conan Stevens) will make for damn good television

One of the things I'm most looking forward to, although I have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach that the series may cut him out. Fingers crossed they don't - this fight will be absolutely AWESOME!

• 2 weeks later...

One of the things I'm most looking forward to, although I have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach that the series may cut him out. Fingers crossed they don't - this fight will be absolutely AWESOME!

I agree, I wouldn't doubt it if they did cut him out since his air time would be so short. I hope they don't though, it'll leave a lot of disappointed fans. However, I don't see what they could replace the scene with if they did though, especially considering he's a very good introduction to the Martells, who to my knowledge become very important in book 4, though I have yet to read it.

He thrust his free hand into Oberyn’s unprotected face, pushing steel fingers into his eyes. “Then I raped her.” Clegane slammed his fist into the Dornishman’s mouth, making splinters of his teeth.

Not what I wanted to hear about my new Fav character of all of the 3 chapters he appears in.

this. i will stop watching if his fight with mountain isn't part of hbo's plans for the series.

However, I don't see what they could replace the scene with if they did though, especially considering he's a very good introduction to the Martells, who to my knowledge become very important in book 4, though I have yet to read it.

He is indeed, they would also have to account for where he is when we visit Dorne (I don't think it's really possible to make it as if he never existed).

He thrust his free hand into Oberyn’s unprotected face, pushing steel fingers into his eyes. “Then I raped her.” Clegane slammed his fist into the Dornishman’s mouth, making splinters of his teeth.

I can see this being a really powerful scene that will be talked about all week, definitely the climax of the fight, and then it cuts off to credits.

Well considering the casting for Oberyn opened up a few weeks ago, it's safe to say that his fight will be included.

YEEEEESSSSSS!!!

I just noticed that the series is being broken into two parts, looks like we have a good wait.

Indeed. :/ At least we already know what happens so it won't be as painful as it will be for those who have not read A Storm of Swords. Plus it gives Mr. Martin his much needed time to finish the next book so the tv series doesn't catch up... I guess...

Well I just sat reading this chapter where the mountain and Oberyn fights, and even though it seems that a lot of people love this guy - he just annoyed med with his arrogance every time he speaks to Tyrion he has to insult him, and his dance with the Mountain. Don't get me wrong he seems like a really cool guy and all of Dorne love him of course, but he also act a bit like a dick. However I'm really looking forward to whenever this scene is going to take place in GoT.. I'm already getting goosebumps just thinking of the fight going on and Obery jumping around saying: "you raped her, you murdered her, you killed her children". And then last of it with the mountain actually saying anything instead of just grunting as he use to do... Great Chapter by the way, and if Oberyn had not lost, we wouldn't have the scene with tyrion feathering dear Shae and Tywin...

I liked him as well, and after the RW, it gave me someone new and interesting to root for...call it a-new-good-guy-badass introduction or something. After he died with Gregor still laying there and having feelings that he wouldn't die I felt kinda the same frustration I got from wathing DBZ back in the day....frustrated by meaningless self sacrifice.

I've always been a sucker for "last stands", heroic sacrifice, and knowingly going into death's grasp against insurmountable odds. So when it happens and seems like it was done for nothing or it didn't even cause the enemy any setbacks, it drives me nuts.

Well, considering how much the series loves bronn, I wouldn't be suprised at all if it's him instead of the mountain

OMG no, I would die from all of the emotional torment that would cause poor Tyrion. His best bro friend fighting to condemn him...because his sister pays better. I'd legit cry if this happened.

...meaning it would be excellent storytelling. :cool4:

Archived