Official Game of Thrones Season 3 Trailer Now Live

Westeros

If Bran is going to reach Bloodraven in season 4 - which I'd really like since I think his first two ADwD chapters should have been in ASoS - they could use his scenes in season 4 and 5 to give us flashbacks on important events of the past the show has not yet explored in detail (i.e. the Sack of King's Landing, 'Promise me, Ned', the Tourney of Harrenhal etc.).

This could work really well!

This is one of the best ideas I've read on this board in a long time. Keeps Bran onscreen, and gets important info to the viewers without resorting to lengthy exposition.

Is it just me or was Drogon a little too big for this point in the story?

It's a camera perspective trick. The shot will start with him looking like a large beasty and end with him either landing in front of Dany or on her, as a little dragon. The dragons will only be a little bigger than when we last saw them. Likely the dragons will grow as the series progresses, however

I think he just appears closer. Watch it closely next time, the dragon looks bigger than it actually is.

Yeah I thought about that but next to the ship he still looked too big. Before Dany got to Astopor the dragons were just getting large enough to make it uncomfortable for them to sit on her shoulder. To me he looks much too big to be sitting on her shoulder. But I do understand that it could just be his relation to the camera.

Is it just me or was Drogon a little too big for this point in the story?

In Dany's first chapter in SoS all the dragons , GRRM's description, are the size of small dogs.

Now I don't know what kind of 'small dog' George has in mind.

It's at this point that George tell us that in a year or two they will be large enough to ride.

It's still hard for me to really nail the time by the end of ADwD but indeed Drogon seems, is it one or two years?, more than large enough to ride, in fact quite large, and from that point if they can 'free range' they should get huge.

In Dany's first chapter in SoS all the dragons , GRRM's description, are the size of small dogs.

Now I don't know what kind of 'small dog' George has in mind.

It's at this point that George tell us that in a year or two they will be large enough to ride.

It's still hard for me to really nail the time by the end of ADwD but indeed Drogon seems, is it one or two years?, more than large enough to ride, in fact quite large, and from that point if they can 'free range' they should get huge.

I imagine that in the early years a dragons growth is somewhat exponential. Slow at first, but when they learn to fly and roam free and hunt for meat it goes really fast.

I imagine that in the early years a dragons growth is somewhat exponential. Slow at first, but when they learn to fly and roam free and hunt for meat it goes really fast.

Exactly. The bigger they are, the farther they can roam and thus the greater their intake of food. In the early years, an exponential function would be an excellent approximation.

(sorry, just trying to bring some maths nerdery into GoT. Actually there are a whole host of assumptions we'd have to make to assume an exponential)

EDIT:

What the hell, let's do it. If we assume that:

1. The rate of change of mass of the dragon is proportional to the rate of intake of food

2. That the rate of intake of food is proportional to distance traveled (because greater distances provide greater access to food)

3. And that this distance travelled is proportional to the mass of the dragon (because it has more fuel to fly on)

4. And that the mass lost through flying is negligible compared to the mass gained through eating

Then, linking 3. and 1. we can conclude that the mass of the dragon is proportional to the rate of change of its mass, so:

mass of dragon = constant*(rate of change of mass of dragon)

mathematically speaking, the right hand side is the derivative of the mass of the dragon.

Integrating, this leads to:

mass of dragon = e^(time/constant)

Where e is the exponential function. However, if any of the above assumptions are incorrect the equation I have written breaks down.

...Ok, I'll go back to my corner now.

Exactly. The bigger they are, the farther they can roam and thus the greater their intake of food. In the early years, an exponential function would be an excellent approximation.

(sorry, just trying to bring some maths nerdery into GoT. Actually there are a whole host of assumptions we'd have to make to assume an exponential)

EDIT:

What the hell, let's do it. If we assume that:

1. The rate of change of mass of the dragon is proportional to the rate of intake of food

2. That the rate of intake of food is proportional to distance traveled (because greater distances provide greater access to food)

3. And that this distance travelled is proportional to the mass of the dragon (because it has more fuel to fly on)

4. And that the mass lost through flying is negligible compared to the mass gained through eating

Then, linking 3. and 1. we can conclude that the mass of the dragon is proportional to the rate of change of its mass, so:

mass of dragon = constant*(rate of change of mass of dragon)

or, mathematically, the derivative of the mass of the dragon.

This leads to:

mass of dragon = e^(time/constant)

Where e is the exponential function. However, if any of the above assumptions are incorrect the equation I have written breaks down.

...Ok, I'll go back to my corner now.

LOL nice idea but I think those hypothesis' seem like an extremely rough approximation of the reality, but might give and idea about their growth during first a few years.

LOL nice idea but I think those hypothesis' seem like an extremely rough approximation of the reality, but might give and idea about their growth during first a few years.

Haha thanks, but yeah, pretty sure the assumptions I listed will break down pretty quickly as the dragons grow up. Otherwise the dragons would soon be bigger than Westeros! But they might be semi-reasonable for young dragons which are looking to cover more ground and eat more food the bigger they get.

This is one of the best ideas I've read on this board in a long time. Keeps Bran onscreen, and gets important info to the viewers without resorting to lengthy exposition.

I'm hoping that Jojen and Meera give Bran the backstory of Robert's Rebellion and the Tower of Joy this season. I didn't really like the chapter in the book, but the tourney at Harrenhal is a nice bit of info they can also insert into the show.

I'm hoping that Jojen and Meera give Bran the backstory of Robert's Rebellion and the Tower of Joy this season. I didn't really like the chapter in the book, but the tourney at Harrenhal is a nice bit of info they can also insert into the show.

That would be cool, but I wonder how could they do this without making it boring? Long stories being told on screen tend to be boring regardless of how good they are :mellow:

We just got ourselves an extended trailer, with 20 seconds of extra footage!

Here's the link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1pbtBX9Kok

Among the usual stuff, we've got:

Thoros of Myr with "The night is dark and full of terrors", and a shot of Melisandre.

The Night's Watch, including Samwell and Lord Commander Mormont, standing around a bonfire at what looks like Crasters.

Cersei: "You're not half as clever as you think you are." Tyrion: "Still makes me more clever than you."

Jojen walking through the fog up to a scared looking Bran. (His introduction scene perhaps?)

Joffrey holding a crossbow.

Asha (or Yara, ugh) walking through a group of ironborn. (A surprise to me, I didn't think she'd be in this season)

Brienne headbutting somebody in the face.

A lady crawling across the bed. I compared pictures and she looks a bit like Roslin Frey. Although she seems far too eager... Probably not.

Joffrey on the Iron Throne.

Jaime on the ground with a dagger near his face.

Upset Sansa.

Angry Robb. Walking to perhaps behead a certain someone?

Jon: "I wanna fight for the side that fights for the living. Did I come to the right place?" I'm not sure who he's talking to, but it's got to be part of his warning of the coming wildling attack.

Jorah fighting what looks like Unsullied.

Robb and 'Talisa' in bed.

Brienne and Jaime swordfighting.

Tyrion looking through a small barred window. (?)

Tyrion with an axe.

Jon preparing to behead the old man.

Stannis. And a red head laying against his chest.

Riders with bows.

Ygritte enjoying herself. A lot.

Brienne in the bear pit! And the bear! She's got some nasty looking wounds too.

And last of all, an extended shot of Drogon flying around the boat. Jorah and Dany are in this scene, but it's perhaps better to note that 'Arstan Whitebeard' is not.

Jon: "I wanna fight for the side that fights for the living. Did I come to the right place?" I'm not sure who he's talking to, but it's got to be part of his warning of the coming wildling attack.

No, that's definitely him persuading Mace Rayder that he's abandoned the Nights Watch

Archived