Rhaella Targaryen, appreciation thread

Mladen

Queen Rhaella, wife to King Aerys and mother to three very peculiar children, is one of the rare characters being mentioned so many times, and yet without further explanations. We know she suffered random beatings, we know Aerys didn`t trust her. But what was her deal? Queens certainly have power, some power in best case, but there is nothing about her. The only things we know about her are:

1. Her being beaten by Aerys

2. Aerys`s mistrust towards her (Illyrio said that to Tyrion)

3. Unhappy marriage with the King

4. A tragic love she felt for Ser Bonifer Hasty

5. her attempt to keep Viserys safe from Aerys`s madness

So, what`s her deal? Ser Barristan seems to be quite fond of her, but he isn`t reliabale source, since he is loyal to all Targs. Is there to her more than we know? What do you think?

I'm no expert in medieval law but I don't think that queens had any power against their kings. If Aerys wanted her to stay in the Red Keep that was final and no one was allowed to interfere with his abuse of her as shown in Jamie's memories.

The only reason she could leave for Dragonstone was that Aerys didn't really care, but he could have ordered her back at any time he wanted.

I think that she was a good person who happened to end up in some terrible conditions.

But why wouldn`t Aerys have trusted her? I know, he was paranoid, but Illyrio said explicitly

whilst whispers of a certain eunuch’s talents crossed the narrow sea and reached the ears of a certain king. A very anxious king, who did not wholly trust his son, nor his wife, nor his Hand, a friend of his youth who had grown arrogant and overproud. I do believe that you know the rest of this tale, is that not so

Rhaella does seem to be a truly tragic character. She could not marry the man that she loved, but was forced to into an unhappy and,

ultimately, brutally abusive marriage with her brother, all in order to fulfill a prophecy.

Ya I know Aegon V is viewed as this totally awesome king which for the most part is true, but there's still a part of me that thinks he was a total d-bag for making Rhaella marry Aerys.

This may well be the most depressing thread i've seen in days...

It wasn`t my atention for it to sound depresing, then to see how people see Rhaella. I always have thought there`s something more about her. I also wonder if she has witnessed the deaths of the Starks.

It wasn`t my atention for it to sound depresing, then to see how people see Rhaella. I always have thought there`s something more about her. I also wonder if she has witnessed the deaths of the Starks.

Me too. I also wonder how she felt about the Rhaegar situation in general.

Agreed and I hate to sound speculative but maybe she had a feeling that Rhaegar was already planning something.

I can actually see her waiting, just like Doran, Aerys to die and Rhaegar to inherit the throne. She must have known that without a civil war exchange of power would never occur.

Also, does anyone know a good reason why Rhaella wasn`t in Harrenhall?

Agreed and I hate to sound speculative but maybe she had a feeling that Rhaegar was already planning something.

Who knows, she may have had something to do with Rhaegar's plot but after the abuse she suffered at the hands of Aerys, I would have loved if she took matters into her own hands.

Archived