Rhaella Targaryen, appreciation thread

Mladen

She also suffered marital rape by a husband who only got aroused from watching people burn alive. I think that should be be on the list, not just "beatings". Rhaella, to me at least, seems to be a very tragic and powerless character. Her life was defined by decisions the men in her family made for her, and lived a trapped and abusive life. Based on the little evidence there is, I see her as a Cersei type of character that instead of trying to strive for power or break free, resigned to the life that was given.

I would be very interested to read about Dany learning more about her father and mother and their relationship; Barristan seems a likely candidate for telling her about this. Does he know about the sexual abuse, and that Dany is very likely the product of marital rape? Learning more about her closest family, not just repeating the slightly stale "I am the blood of the dragon and Aegon the Conqueror and Old Valyria and did I mention MOTHER OF DRAGONS?" seems like something her story arc needs in my opinion.

She also suffered marital rape by a husband who only got aroused from watching people burn alive. I think that should be be on the list, not just "beatings". Rhaella, to me at least, seems to be a very tragic and powerless character. Her life was defined by decisions the men in her family made for her, and lived a trapped and abusive life. Based on the little evidence there is, I see her as a Cersei type of character that instead of trying to strive for power or break free, resigned to the life that was given.

I would be very interested to read about Dany learning more about her father and mother and their relationship; Barristan seems a likely candidate for telling her about this. Does he know about the sexual abuse, and that Dany is very likely the product of marital rape? Learning more about her closest family, not just repeating the slightly stale "I am the blood of the dragon and Aegon the Conqueror and Old Valyria and did I mention MOTHER OF DRAGONS?" seems like something her story arc needs in my opinion.

Completely agree.

Also as prince of dragonstone perhaps she was moving under Rhaegars power as part of their infant conspiracey to have him inherit the throne after showing Aerys incapable...but due to her pregnancey and the actions of a further and further out of touch Aerys with the stupidity of R and L after harrenhall. forced the rebellion they didn't want as opposed to one they would lead.

What?? She's nothing like Cersei, Cersei is one of the most devious, merciless, power hungry, and ambitious characters in the entire series. She absolutely strived for power and is still striving for power just ask Robert Baratheon, Ned Stark, Tyrion, Qyburn, Doran Martell or Margaery Tyrell about Cersei's strive for power. I mean like is that a joke? I agree with everything else you said about Rhaella but she is in no way like a Cersei Lannister type of character and that's a good thing.

First and foremost, she`s nothing like Cersei, Rhaella was, as we know, loving and decent woman. She suffered a lot due to misfortunate marriage with Aerys, but I don`t see any resemblance between two Queens.

All Kingsguard, including Barristan, knew how well Aerys treated Rhaella? Jaime recalled how Jonothor Darry told him that they swore to protect the Queen as well, but not from King. Dany needs to know about her parents because it`ll be something that`ll open her eyes completely.

• 4 months later...

I feel terrible for her. She got the short end of the stick. I wonder if Rhaella ever loved Aerys. I mean they were brother and sister before they were husband and wife. Rhaella may have even married someone else instead of Aerys if the prophecy hadn't been said. It seemed like the Targaryens or at least Aegon V, Jaehaerys generation was moving away from brother-sister incest.

Her husband turned into a mad-man. Then, the long fingernails scratching her too. My God. She should have killed him.

Not as surprising that she died, she was probably didn't really want to live anymore. Her husband brutalized her. She was probably there when he was burning lords alive. Then, he tried to murder their second cousin (Robert) whose parents she may have been close too. Her eldest son dies in battle. Her daughter in law and grandchildren have become hostages. As she is leaving for safety, she realizes that she can't take her daughter-in-law and grandchildren with her. Then she receives word of the sack. Of her husband dead, but also of her granddaughter savagely knifed to death. Her grandson ripped from his mother's arms and her daughter in law brutually raped and murdered. Outside Dragonstone was being sieged and she was too far pregnant to really get out.

She seems like an interesting woman. She tried to shield Viserys from the terrors of the Mad King. I do wish Dany would ask more about her so that we can learn more. It really wouldn't be that hard.

How can you have an appreciation thread for a character who has not appeared/spoken a single word in the books?

She gave birth to Rhaegar, Viserys and Dany. We owe her so much... :)

No, there is something about Rhaella and Elia that always taunted me. They seem such tragic characters, but I think there are more to them than meets the eye.

I'll say this for her: she married where she was told to, she didn't run away with her what-his-name-was, she managed to keep Viserys more or less safe from his father's madness. In short, what Barristan Selmy told us about her: she was always mindful of her duty, unlike a certain she-wolf who plunged the realm in a bloody war and became the stuff of romantic legends.

She gave birth to Rhaegar, Viserys and Dany. We owe her so much... :)

No, there is something about Rhaella and Elia that always taunted me. They seem such tragic characters, but I think there are more to them than meets the eye.

Mybe they conspired against Aerys in their own way, maybe thats why Dany was born to forge another alliance with Dorne.

It's odd that Daenerys thinks so little of her and more about crazy Dad and emo Brother. But well, it's not like she died giving birth to her...oh wait!

I'll say this for her: she married where she was told to, she didn't run away with her what-his-name-was, she managed to keep Viserys more or less safe from his father's madness. In short, what Barristan Selmy told us about her: she was always mindful of her duty, unlike a certain she-wolf who plunged the realm in a bloody war and became the stuff of romantic legends.

Her romance with Ser Bonifer is one of my favorites... It's so sad...

It's odd that Daenerys thinks so little of her and more about crazy Dad and emo Brother. But well, it's not like she died giving birth to her...oh wait!

Hmmm, interesting. The only time she does think of her mother is remembering Viserys sold Rhaella's crown. You would think that she would like to know about her mother too.

Mybe they conspired against Aerys in their own way, maybe thats why Dany was born to forge another alliance with Dorne.

Perhaps she had something to do with Harrenhall, or at least with Rhaegar's obsession with prophecy. I mean, she renounced her love for that prophecy. Maybe she was the one that gt all those stuff into Rhaegar's head

If I was Daenerys, I would ask Barristan to tell me everything he knows about my family.

You think she would become acquianted with her family's history by now, but no... All she knows is that some dogs usurped her father's throne. Poor girl, her awakening will be worse than Sansa's...

She's my favorite Targaryen after Viserys, being forced to marry your (mad) brother must really suck, especially if you're in love with another man (Ser Bonifer Hasty! :wub:), but she was brave and condescending, and endured Aerys though the years, as he got crazier and meaner. I hate how she got to die like that, I wish we could know more about her life.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope we get to learn more about Rhaella in TWOW from Barristan or Jaime, and I feel like if my boy Barristan has to die, he should at least get to tell Dany about her mom. If Jaime and Dany ever meet, she'll be in denial about her dad's rape of her mom

Archived