Areo Hotah POV in prologue, will be killed by Darkstar

Boros of Myr

When Obara and Areo Hotah catch up to Darkstar they will need some way of preventing Balon Swann from finding out the truth about the attack on Myrcella. However, it doesn't sit right for them to kill him - Doran is afraid of the Lannisters and they will definitely be suspicious if two Kingsguard are lost in Dorne.

This means they will probably just have Balon stay back while they attack Gerold Dayne, which potentially makes sense since Swann is so far the second best archer in Westeros (after Anguy) and so could still be useful at a distance. However, if Myrcella is already dead and Areo and Doran did a coverup it is entirely possible Obara will find out and hesitate. This places Hotah in the dangerous position of suddenly losing 2 allies. If anything, it makes sense for Darkstar to kill him since this will be proof of his skill; we have already read a lot about what an analytical fighter Hotah is and defeating him will not be a mean feat. This opens up the chance for Darkstar's further role in the storyline (Aegon's Kingsguard?).

It makes no sense for Darkstar to die, he is the only adult Dayne we have met and I can't see the reasons for him being in the story located in one chapter (if he was the POV). He also seems to be the least understood of Arianne's companions and therefore the most likely to betray her.

I see it like this - Darkstar doesn't want Dorne to support any Lannister, goes along with Arianne's plan so he can get Doran involved while his men are stopping it. By killing Myrcella he forces war and makes Doran look guilty, his bodyguard was there and couldn't prevent the death. Since he's been lying low for the past little while Dayne may not even know that Myrcella is still believed to be alive. In any case he will try to explain himself at some point which would pit all three of his pursuers against each other.

While I don't have proof of the "Myrcella is Dead" conspiracy, the Martells are often compared to snakes and it is not impossible Doran has a treacherous side. Thoughts?

A coverup is possible I guess, but Doran killing a child, no way.

Darkstar is awesome, but I wonder how big his power is, he is a Dayne of High Hermitage, not of Starfall. Would anyone follow him? This one-on-one fighting seems unlikely, darkstar already fled tot the High Hermitage, and when someone shelters in a castle, you don't send three men, you ought to send an army.

Doesn't it make more sense for balon swann to die? Arianne will prolly tell doran aegonis for real and they will be getting married.. that way another kg member is dead, they still have myrcella as a hostage, some of the sand snakes are inside kings landing, and they launch an invasion... This all coincides so perfectly with what is going on with margery and cersei.

Where are you getting this info about Swann being the "2nd best archer" in Westeros?

This sounds even more random and wild than most theories on this website...which is saying something....

Why would you ask the question that was already asked and then answered right before your post?

I don't think the topic makes sense either, Areo has a POV as patrick Tully stated above, and also the timeline just doesn't fit. I can't recall if Hotah makes an appearance in Arrianne 1 but I don't see how he could get from Sunspear to High Hermitage before Arrianne even left Sunspear.

Yes Sarella could be better but the point is Balon Swann is pretty good. Let's consider how Swann is likely to die, if he does.

1) Killed by Darkstar

2) Killed by Hotah/Obara since he finds out what really happened

Number 1 doesn't seem plausible, by letting Swann near Darkstar the Dornish are risking him finding out the truth. Number 2 is unlikely since Doran is too cautious.

Another scenario is that Swann is captured because he knows too much. The Lannister reaction would be delayed and it is much more of a Doran tactic.

I agree, Doran wouldn't kill children but a cover-up seems reasonable. I can't see Darkstar operating under his command but Gerold could easily have betrayed Arriane to trigger the events.

He is no Arthur Dayne but we will need more explanation to his reasons for being in the story before GRRM can kill him.

@Patrick Tully good point, Hotah may not be a prologue POV but I do see this as an end to his story in a later chapter

I did some quick search on "of the night" references though the books, and apart from the obvious "of the Night's Watch" that cannot be really tied into any of the Darkstar theories, here's something interesting that I stumbled upon:

ADWD Melisandre:

It was never dark in Melisandre's chambers.

Three tallow candles burned upon her windowsill to keep the terrors of the night at bay.

and then the passage following her visions of death and search for the "grey girl on the dying horse":

Her fire had burned low, she saw. "Devan, more wood. What hour is it?"

"Almost dawn, my lady."

"Dawn. Another day is given to us, R'hllor be praised. The terrors of the night recede."

Gives some sense of foreshadowing. All this talk of dawn, terrors of the night, girl, horse. So, what if she misinterprets (as she usually does) the signs and the "grey girl" is actually the vision of Myrcella, not quasi-Arya. There is certainly some mortal danger involved from which the horse saves the girl in question.

Also, if Darkstar refers to himself as "of the night" can we extend this reference to him being the terror of the night? Cultist of the Unspoken God? Which would extend into Mel mistaking the Old Gods for the actual enemy of Rhllor while she should be looking entirely elsewhere...

I did some quick search on "of the night" references though the books, and apart from the obvious "of the Night's Watch" that cannot be really tied into any of the Darkstar theories, here's something interesting that I stumbled upon:

ADWD Melisandre:

It was never dark in Melisandre's chambers.

Three tallow candles burned upon her windowsill to keep the terrors of the night at bay.

and then the passage following her visions of death and search for the "grey girl on the dying horse":

Her fire had burned low, she saw. "Devan, more wood. What hour is it?"

"Almost dawn, my lady."

"Dawn. Another day is given to us, R'hllor be praised. The terrors of the night recede."

Gives some sense of foreshadowing. All this talk of dawn, terrors of the night, girl, horse. So, what if she misinterprets (as she usually does) the signs and the "grey girl" is actually the vision of Myrcella, not quasi-Arya. There is certainly some mortal danger involved from which the horse saves the girl in question.

Also, if Darkstar refers to himself as "of the night" can we extend this reference to him being the terror of the night? Cultist of the Unspoken God? Which would extend into Mel mistaking the Old Gods for the actual enemy of Rhllor while she should be looking entirely elsewhere...

I think it is pretty clear that the gray girl refers to fArya. But if it doesn't, why would she refer to Myrcella as grey? I see no link to Myrcella and a gray girl on a dying horse.

I think it is pretty clear that the gray girl refers to fArya. But if it doesn't, why would she refer to Myrcella as grey? I see no link to Myrcella and a gray girl on a dying horse.

I'm not necessarily looking at the girl being grey, but rather at the "of the night" implications. If Darkstar claims association with the darkness (famous "i am of the night"), then he seems to be positioning himself in the opposing faction vs R'hllorists. I.e. it's the night vs day as in what Mel refers to "terrors of the night" vs "dawn". So, IF R'hllor indeed sends cautionary visions to its followers, then it just might be that the "grey girl on a dying horse" is its attempt to warn Mellisandre of the threats coming from the "night".

And actually, while we speak about it, why would R'hllor project the vision of fAria? What significance does it have considering the unfolding events? Mel trying to gain Jon's trust? Well, she fails, so he mistrust her even deeper. R'hllor sending a vision of an important girl that has to be saved? Well, so far she is only married into wildlings. Anything else?

I'm not necessarily looking at the girl being grey, but rather at the "of the night" implications. If Darkstar claims association with the darkness (famous "i am of the night"), then he seems to be positioning himself in the opposing faction vs R'hllorists. I.e. it's the night vs day as in what Mel refers to "terrors of the night" vs "dawn". So, IF R'hllor indeed sends cautionary visions to its followers, then it just might be that the "grey girl on a dying horse" is its attempt to warn Mellisandre of the threats coming from the "night".

And actually, while we speak about it, why would R'hllor project the vision of fAria? What significance does it have considering the unfolding events? Mel trying to gain Jon's trust? Well, she fails, so he mistrust her even deeper. R'hllor sending a vision of an important girl that has to be saved? Well, so far she is only married into wildlings. Anything else?

U serious? Anything is possible in the series obviously, but your seriously suggesting that it was more likely a vision about Myrcella, who has no connection to grey or a dying horse, than it was about Alys Karstarck who appeared a little while later dressed in grey on a dying horse?

Archived