Small questions v.10003

Angalin

Do we think its possible there will be any flashback POVs ever? Has Martin ever mentioned anything like this?

I watched an interview, can't remember which one I've watched so many, but GRRM says he won't get into too much back story as far as flashbacks. Only to progress story. Such as joncon flashback about trying to find Robert. But no POV based in past

In ASOS, when Jon scales the Wall with the Magnar and Co, he leaves Ghost behind. And ever since then, till the end of the book where Ghost comes back, Jon notices quite a few times that he no longer has wolf dreams, and pretty much has no connection at all with Ghost, and only when Ghost is back does he get the wolfish 'feeling' (?) and notices Ghost is back. Now we know for a fact that distance between Stark and wolf isn't an issue when it comes to wolf dreams (Arya for example), so what happened to make Jon lose his "Ghost Sense", and also, where was Ghost all this time? (He seemed to take his own sweet time to get back to Castle Black, conveniently just at the end of ASOS)

One theory is the magics in the Wall blocked the Jon - Ghost connection.

Once Bran & company pass under the Wall, Summer is only able to sense Ghost, but not the two direwolves who are south of the Wall. This is a second example that the connections do not work with the Wall in between.

I was wondering if there is some kind of a general consensus among fans on what King Bobb and others believed to be the official cause of death of Lyanna Stark. Don't think it's ever mentioned in the book but I am sure it must have been discussed many times in one of the R+l=J threads. Thanks in advance for saving me having to look it up.

Once Bran & company pass under the Wall, Summer is only able to sense Ghost, but not the two direwolves who are south of the Wall. This is a second example that the connections do not work with the Wall in between.

but ghost was able to sense the others when he was north of the wall

"When he closed his eyes, he dreamed of direwolves.

There were five of them when there should have been six, and they were scattered, each apart from the others. He felt a deep ache of emptiness, a sense of incompleteness. The forest was vast and cold, and they were so small, so lost. His brothers were out there somewhere, and his sister, but he had lost their scent. He sat on his haunches and lifted his head to the darkening sky, and his cry echoed through the forest, a long lonely mournful sound. As it died away, he pricked up his ears, listening for an answer, but the only sound was the sigh of blowing snow."

Does that make ghost/Jon different from the other wolves?

There were five of them when there should have been six, and they were scattered, each apart from the others. He felt a deep ache of emptiness, a sense of incompleteness. The forest was vast and cold, and they were so small, so lost. His brothers were out there somewhere, and his sister, but he had lost their scent. He sat on his haunches and lifted his head to the darkening sky, and his cry echoed through the forest, a long lonely mournful sound. As it died away, he pricked up his ears, listening for an answer, but the only sound was the sigh of blowing snow."

I read this quote as Ghost noticing that the connections are now broken, thus the loneliness.

I think the highlighted line means he can't connect with them anymore, because he's beyond the Wall.

Or that Rhaegar raped her to death...

While Bob definitely believes Lyanna was raped repeatedly by Rhaegar, I've always been of the opinion that Ned took a version of the truth (to make it less of a lie to his friend) and told him she died in childbed along with the child. That is precisely why it was important for Ned to establish the Wylla story and to send Jon back to WF separately and in advance of his own return from the South.

I figure JonCon, as a single person from a small family, doesn't have the experience with children to recognize that the ineffable qualities of resemblance are missing. The superficial looks may be enough to convince him. It could also be foreshadowing of some future doubt that he does note that Aegon's eyes are a different shade than Rhaegar's. That's if Aegon is fake, of course ;)

I figure JonCon, as a single person from a small family, doesn't have the experience with children to recognize that the ineffable qualities of resemblance are missing. The superficial looks may be enough to convince him. It could also be foreshadowing of some future doubt that he does note that Aegon's eyes are a different shade than Rhaegar's. That's if Aegon is fake, of course ;)

Remember that we are talking about a guy who was probably infatuated with Rhaegar, so I doubt he'd be misled by superficial looks.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and he is being blinded by his thirst for revenge against the people who killed his Prince. That is assuming Aegon is fake, of course :)

Remember that we are talking about a guy who was probably infatuated with Rhaegar, so I doubt he'd be misled by superficial looks.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and he is being blinded by his thirst for revenge against the people who killed his Prince. That is assuming Aegon is fake, of course :)

Oh I remember, which is why I think the eye color thing may foreshadow some doubt coming on. I just think that a lot of the single people I know (both male and female) who don't have experience with other kids, like nieces and nephews or younger siblings, would tend to focus on the superficial. In my experience those are the people who always say that my kids look exactly like their father because they have fair hair and blue eyes, when in fact, in spite of my dark hair and eyes, they both look a whole lot more like me :dunno:

if Aegon really is a fake, wouldn't JonCon be able to tell? that is assuming he really was in love with Rhaegar, in which case he would be able to recognise some of his and/or Elia's features

Remember Syrio's story about the "exotic creature" that the Sealord presented to all of the candidates for the First Sword position. All of them had undoubtedly seen a cat before, yet they all insisted it was a magnificent, hitherto unknown creature, and all because the Sealord had told them so. The lesson: people see what they want to see.

Archived