Annoyed as Cersei

Drofdar

I guess one reason anyone would want to hate Tyrion is that he is a Lannister and has taken steps towards trying to defeat Robb Stark. Probably not a fair hatred though: Tyrion is a nice enough character, though he has his problems. Cercei's time is drawing to an end though, I think. If we compare the Cercei we saw in the first two books and the Cercei in A Storm of Swords, we see that she is getting more and more powerless. Joff is one reason she is often powerless: Cercei had been able to control Robert as a King and this gave her the feeling of power as well as a real sense of power (look at what she did to Lady), but Cercei was not so good at controlling her son, Joff, with disastrous consequences. Which shows she is not very good at commanding, really: she can mould good mould into the shape she wants (e.g. Jaime, to a point or King Robert, who was more of a man than Joff in many ways), but she can't create good mould out of a bad one. Tyrion is much better at that, though he also sometimes fails to see bad mould when he sees it -- see Shae.

So all in all, I get the feeling that Cercei is more to be pitied, she's a bit like Lysa -- cruel because she tries to stand out, petty because she can't really be brave. Not much annoyed with her at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Typical Cersei

For real. She's the type of person that would dismiss someone's idea as stupid, and then turn around and take credit for it later when it turns out to be a good idea. I always take note at how quickly she can devise self-serving schemes while in mid-conversation.

I would disagree with Thyrza's comment above, about Shae being "a bad mould". In fact I pity Shae more than anything else - she was almost certainly forced to betray Tyrion, probably after Varys betrayed her to Tywin as soon as it suited him. She has said some pretty heartless things in the past - especially about the ordeal of poor Lollys - but that is often the mark of a person who has been hurt, as she has.

I would go so far as to believe that, as far as she was capable of love, she *did* try to love Tyrion. And had he been free to love her in return openly, instead of having to keep it a secret, it might have been the saving of both of them: but in the end he was forced to keep her hidden, make excuses, go to all sorts of awful lengths, and even contemplate marrying her to someone else, which would be little more than another kind of whoring / pimping her out. This can be seen in the breakdown of their relationship, as each in turn ends up making cutting remarks towards the other, and on one or two occasions Tyrion even slaps her out of temper, only to regret it horribly. If she really were just a whore, doing it for Tyrion's coin, it could not have gone that far: it *is* the emotional connection between them that allows each to hurt the other, both physically and emotionally, as they eventually do.

As for Cersei... She may be great at scheming towards power, but having got it, she has no clue what to do with it. And once that knowledge gets about, she's heading for a fall - and the kind of fall that doesn't have a comeback after it. Tywin and Bolton, by contrast, are both ruthless, evil but efficient: they may be overthrown, but unless actually killed, they will always find a way back to the game. An overthrow of Cersei would be an overthrow for permanent.

A lot of people don't give Tyrion the credit he deserves for organizing the King's Landing defenses.

[Cersei] may be great at scheming towards power, but having got it, she has no clue what to do with it. And once that knowledge gets about, she's heading for a fall - and the kind of fall that doesn't have a comeback after it. Tywin and Bolton, by contrast, are both ruthless, evil but efficient: they may be overthrown, but unless actually killed, they will always find a way back to the game. An overthrow of Cersei would be an overthrow for permanent.

An obvious aspect of her character, but great description of what that means.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for the bad post bur wasn't that in the tv show? In the books it was really Tyrions idea.

She already had the pyromancers up for the task. Tyrion just made sure that the throwers perfect their aim.

I liked Cersei in the first two books where she was cruel but at least she wasn't a psycho. Joffrey's death had an unusual and detrimental impact on her. I'm a quarter into AFFC and I'm annoyed as hell with her overly suspicious behavior.

• 3 weeks later...

Why would you want to hate Tyrion? lol. He's one of the most likable characters of the series!

Tyrion gets annoying in my opinion same with Cersei. Tyrion hates his father, but like power and thus doesn't move against his father. I like your avatar/picture where did you find it? Cersei is well just crazy as she only likes her children because she can claim they are heirs and she can rule for them until of age. Joffrey was clearly Cersei's favorite which I think shows something. Cersei just likes to scheme against people and thinks she is cunning and powerful which her only ability to negotiate power is by seducing and sleeping with people. Actually, in the books the pryomancers went to Tyrion and made sure or Cersei did not know and increased numbers of the wildfire as he made sure the chain was built. I was surprised that Cersei did not take credit for the chain as that was the real clinch to the battle not the wildfire. If the chain did not keep them in the bay Stannis' fleet would have been able to retreat.

Archived