10 Sci-Fi and Fantasy Works Every Conservative Should Read

AncalagonTheBlack

Shouldn't this thread be predicated by a firm definition of what a "conservative" is? After all if it simply mean a preference for the "Status Quo" a modern liberal would have been a "conservative" immidieatelu following he start of the "New Deal".

The site where this list originates seems to try to be inclusive. In the discussion thread there they try to find a balance between Burkian, Libertarian and social conservatives. And try to include works that treat those believes in an interesting way as well (people were recommending Altered Carbon). Which does seem to be a sensible, if inherently difficult way.

Of course, conservatives today would be disappointed what they see in Tolkien's environmental activism (pro-trees), anti-war, and an author who creates the equivalent of a nuclear weapon that never gets used and ultimately is destroyed rather than deployed.

i've never regarded dick's as rightwing, but am willing to submit to enlightened opinion there. huxley strikes me as a eugenicist dystopia, but the savage displays a certain individualist streak, similar to the post-apocalyptics, dystopia and post-apocalypse do overlap quite a bit, both tending to lack dicernible story; dystopia at least attempts to develop setting, though.

Wasn't Dick the one who went a bit paranoid and reported Stanisław Lem to the FBI as a communist infiltrator trying to take control of the SFWA (and then the world, presumably)?

My attempt at a top ten for conservatives (bearing in mind that I'm left-wing myself):

10. Frankenstein (Shelley)

I'd say that has a decidedly anti-conservative, left-wing message. Science can do awesome things, but freaking out about it and running away from the new leads to disaster; failing to look after the disadvantaged (who might actually be superior to you in different circumstances) leads to disaster.

I'd say that has a decidedly anti-conservative, left-wing message. Science can do awesome things, but freaking out about it and running away from the new leads to disaster; failing to look after the disadvantaged (who might actually be superior to you in different circumstances) leads to disaster.

I've always read it as 'Man playing God causes problems,' which is a conservative message.

what fiction these guys read? oh! they probably killed the writers. Only state official writers were allowed...the others censored or killed.

Despite popular conceptions, Stalin was probably the most well-read Russian leader since Catherine the Great. He liked to lull people into a false sense of security with his crude/uneducated persona. I'm honestly not sure though how your post has any bearing on the actual subject matter of the thread.

well, you have left wing fascism, dictatorships as well....stalin who killed more than 20 million, pol pot...the murderers guevara and fidel...

what fiction these guys read? oh! they probably killed the writers. Only state official writers were allowed...the others censored or killed.

oh FFS.

sure. the khmer rouge was a nationalist, primitivist organization, with a master race ideology, a buddhist grounding, a desire to revive the 1000-year gone angkor empire, and an objective to turn the clock of history back to an illiterate, rural, agrarian society. i don't feel any need to own that.

dude can designate it "leftwing fascism," an oxymoron, but i'm not seeing the leftwing components, other than standard populist land reforms and expropriations.

I've always read it as 'Man playing God causes problems,' which is a conservative message.

That's the popular image of the story and what film versions tend to go with, but it's not the actual book. Frankenstein creates an incredible artificial man, freaks out at what he's done, and abandons his child to fend for himself in a world full of people that hate him on sight through no fault of his own. Despite this, he manages to survive, learn about the world, and educate himself, displaying superhuman intelligence. And initially, he's compassionate too, killing only accidentally and wanting only a companion of his own kind so he won't be condemned to eternal solitude. He doesn't get seriously vengeful till after Frankenstein agrees to construct a mate for him, mostly completes her, then freaks out again and destroys his second creation. And the creation regrets his actions so much he kills himself at the end. Frankenstein is the monster; it's his terrible treatment of his creation that causes all the problems, not the act of creation itself. And if people in general had been able to look past superficial appearances and learn what the creation was actually like, all would have been fine.

I"m half-way through at the moment, but i'm definitely seeing Felice's reading more. Just the frame story is all ominous, mad-boldly-conquers-stuff, and stuff bites him in the ass because he's not nearly as awesome as he thinks he is.

There is both left and right wing statism. In both cases it can be problematic.

Fascism is one kind of authoritarianism but it is more specific than that. There is quite a literature on this subject: consider, e.g. "Who were the Fascists?": a useful collection of articles about the various fascist movements of the inter-war period. For what 'tis worth you will have a hard time finding a reputable scholar who would think that there is any such thing as "left-wing fascism".

well, you have left wing fascism, dictatorships as well....stalin who killed more than 20 million, pol pot...the murderers guevara and fidel...

If only there was a thread about suggested leftwing reading.

Archived