Am I the only one that was not that affected by the Red Wedding?

WardenOfTheNorth

I mean yea it was sad, but the common reactions I have seen/heard "I threw my book across the room", "I cried", I "stopped reading for weeks" etc...I dont know, I find it be a little over the top. Maybe it's cuz I was never a huge Stark fan. Especially since the only character I felt somewhat bad for there was Robb. Cat's stupidity through the series, made me lose sympathy for her, and Robb's bannermen were minor characters. I usually dont get too choked up about minor characters for the most part.

I enjoyed the Red Wedding.

It was thrillingly tense, doom-laden and Martin keeps ramping up the pace to a glorious climax ("Jamie Lannister sends his regards").

I wasn't a Robb fan, but I didn't wish him any specific harm; what makes the Red Wedding such a great moment in the series is that it drives home the point that being a 'good guy' won't save you from your mistakes .

I was pretty damn shocked, but I kept reading and never for a second thought about stopping.

ADWD Spoiler:

Spoiler
The worst thing though, was when Jon "supposedly" got killed in ADWD, I wasn't shocked at ALL, I mean, it almost didnt even affect me, then again I really don't think hes truly (never coming back) dead.

I was kinda shocked and I could barely believe what I was reading the RW as the music and feast turned sour and bloody and all of a sudden I realized a massacre was going on...It was pretty unbelievable and shocking and add more adjectives to it...

I didn't throw my book in the wall but I was pretty shocked I remember telling to my wife that everybody died...and she looking at me not understanding a thing...

I knew about it beforehand, so in truth, it came as a relief when it finally happened. It had been hanging over my head for 2 & 3/4 books and I was happy that it was over & I could move past it.

I know, lots of people knew beforehand. I didn't so to me was pretty shocking and unexpected. I did a good job in keeping away from spoilers.

I mean yea it was sad, but the common reactions I have seen/heard "I threw my book across the room", "I cried", I "stopped reading for weeks" etc...I dont know, I find it be a little over the top. Maybe it's cuz I was never a huge Stark fan. Especially since the only character I felt somewhat bad for there was Robb. Cat's stupidity through the series, made me lose sympathy for her, and Robb's bannermen were minor characters. I usually dont get too choked up about minor characters for the most part.

You realize Robb made much stupider decisions than Cat, yes?

Robb only made one poor choice, Cat's made like ten.

Cat gives Robb better advice than any of his bannermen, except maybe the Blackfish. Her one stupid move after he declares himself King was releasing Jaime, and she was a mother in grief. And it didn't really hurt Robb's cause - Jaime hadn't even made it to King's Landing by the time Robb was killed.

Robb, on the other hand...

-Accepted Kingship over the RIverlands, which the Starks have never ruled and are part of the Southern Andal culture

-Sent Theon back to Pyke. Despite knowing Balon was a potential enemy, Robb gave up his only possible leverage over him

-Didn't tell Edmure his supposedly genius plan, and then laid all the blame on Edmure when it went sour

-Married Jeyne, throwing away one of his most powerful allies

-Insisted on executing Karstark, losing another ally

He was a good battle commander, and had honor. But he was wasn't ready to be King.

-

I just finished reading the Red Wedding part. I never liked Cat but I have come to like more and more of Robb (although I do not think he took many right decisions), I think it was a sad ending for him. but I wasn't really affected by the whole slaughter. What i find really interesting is: where is Robb will?

• 2 weeks later...

I really wasn't that shocked to be honest. Rob wasn't a very 'deep' character (compared to some others anyway) and let's be honest, he wasn't a massive part of the story.

The alternative would be Rob's army sitting in the Riverlands for the next [enter number] of books.

It was a sad scene. But yes, people tend to overreact. I felt a little sorry for Robb even though I was glad he was out of the picture.

And above all I was disappointed. Why? Because I thought that Catelyn had finally died. But nooo...

The moment I read about Robb's marriage to Jeyne, I knew something terrible would result, just not exactly how or when. And then Robb and co. went to the Twins, and Walder Frey said, "We'll have music, such sweet music, and wine, heh, the red will run, and we'll put some wrongs aright." I knew. Seriously, the moment I read, "the red will run" I was certain he meant blood. So when the moment came, I was expecting it.

Emotionally, it didn't bother me that much either. I didn't care for Robb or Catelyn, so it's not like my favorite characters had just been killed. Plus, it had to happen. Necessary for the story-line and all. I'm not sure how people could have gotten so upset over it.

I was certainly shocked, but yeah OP, I agree some of the things people have said are overreactions. Like I was a big fan of Robb too, but how can you put the book down? You have to find out what happens next!!!

My biggest 'OH NO' moment was at the end of ADWD but the forum has comforted me somewhat in that Jon has enough plot armor to survive.

Well, I already knew Rob died at some point in the book, I just had no idea when or who did it. However, the chapters leading up to the scene were so full of foreshadowing that I had completely prepared myself for what was to come. I mean the line that really sealed the deal for me was the fact that Frey specifically emphasized the fact that there would be lots of "RED" liquid flowing, only half meaning wine. I knew then that Rob was done for, so I wasn't that bothered by it, more so relieved to have it over with.

However... the whole sewing of the wolf head onto the body really did bother me because I wasn't expecting that. I was quite shocked and disturbed!

Robb was cool. The Karstark execution was a great scene. Can't wait for it in the show, though they kinda ruined it by changing the way Rodrik died.

The RW wedding was surprising to me because Cat died too. Robb is telegraphed for awhile but when Cat died I was all, "oh, shit." Turn page.

I didn't want Robb to die but I'm glad Catelyn is dead. Did I throw my book across the room? Nope. Did I stop reading for weeks? Nah. I didn't even cry a little inside. I am hoping this means that Sansa, Jon, and Arya play super important roles in the rest of the series.

Archived