THICK beer in ASOIAF and real life

Bran Swift

As far as I remember, 'thick' beer is often referenced in the ASOIAF books. To my impression, it's not thick like one of the dark beers I've tasted, but also chewy and yeasty.

My question is, does beer like this exist nowadays? Perhaps the yeastiness is down to a lack of filtering (although I don't see how it would just form as a layer), and maybe beer was like this centuries ago before more sophisticated brewing equipment was invented? The idea of a 'chewy' beer is as disgusting as it is interesting to me. Are there any beer afficionados out there who have tasted such a beer in real life?

When you're dealing with people brewing their own beers and the lack of technology we have today I'd say the consistency and the variation of the beer in the books is probably all over the place and something being thick and chewy wouldn't be that far fetched.

A quick google search shows there is possibly some people that still brew beers in "medieval style" might be worth a look.

not an expert but "thickness" in beers is in my understanding a measure of viscosity or what some people would call "mouth-feel". In beers its primarily a function of protein content derived from the initial mashing and would be dependent on base malts used and temperature dependent enzymatic processes occurring in the wort. Its like the difference between penny water american pilsners and say something like dunkelhefewiezen or as others have suggested various kinds of old world style porters.

To give a non-beer example imagine apple juice versus apple cider as far as the difference in mouth-feel.

Archived