Game of Thrones Episode Titles

Westeros

All looks like fun. But I think the whole "ninth-episode-is-the-big-one" convention they've fallen into is already getting kind of predictable. I'd love to see them throw a loop and drop the RW into episode 6 or 8 under a completely innocent or misleading title, just so we book readers could be as caught off-guard as everyone else.

Ep. 301 Valar Dohaeris

In my copy of the novel that only occurs in Arya's last chapter.

Well it's an appropriate sequel title name to the last episode of season 2.

I wonder how they work this in?

Could be an invented line from Dany in first episode. Introducing High Valyrian.

Valar morghulis was never translated in season 2... So maybe Dany speaking Valyrian for the first time speaks it to , a sea captin?, Missandei? ... and we get the subtitle translation.

That would be a subtle.

Can't be just the title of the episode?

Could be an invented line from Dany in first episode. Introducing High Valyrian.

Valar morghulis was never translated in season 2... So maybe Dany speaking Valyrian for the first time speaks it to , a sea captin?, Missandei? ... and we get the subtitle translation.

That would be a subtle.

It will show Dany being on a boat with Jorah talking her into not going to pentos but purchasing the unsullied. Might get into her talking about abolishing the slave trade too but i think that will come later. We all know the unsullied are men that serve so boom, throw in some dragons flying, you got yourself a pretty good episode. Sansa and the queen of thornes will be in episode 1 i think also.

Just to make it more reader friendly:

Ep. 301 – Valar Dohaeris

Ep. 302 – Dark Wings, Dark Words

Ep. 303 – Walk of Punishment

Ep. 304 – And Now His Watch is Ended

Ep. 305 – Kissed by Fire

Ep. 306 – to be determined

Ep. 307 – The Bear and the Maiden Fair

Ep. 308 – to be determined

Ep. 309 – The Rains of Castamere

Ep. 310 – Mhysa

A good episode title for episode 8 if it is indeed Tyrion and Sansa's wedding would be "Lady Lannister"

Ep. 301 – Valar Dohaeris

Introduction to the BwB

Robb and Cat hear about Bran and Rickon, perhaps Balon's death?

Something to do with Theon maybe? I got nothing.

Mutiny at Craster's Keep and Joer's death

Ep. 305 – Kissed by Fire

Sexy time with Jon and Ygritte, the duel between Beric and the Hound, Beric's ressurection, and Dracarys

Ep. 306 – to be determined

Bear Pit scene, maybe something between Jorah and Dany, possibly Tyrion and Sansa's wedding

If not in Episode 7, Sansa and Tyrion's wedding. Robb and Cat discuss Jon, Robb declares his will

Red Wedding

Ep. 310 – Mhysa

Obviously Dany. Could also refer to Cersei and Joffrey, Arya's thoughts about RW, and potential reveal of unCat

You pretty much nailed it, I think.

That would be a subtle.

Yeah I agree. I see a scene in Quarth or on the ship where they let the viewers know she knows high Valyrian. That will allow the viewers to know that Dany knows exactly what the slaver is saying even tough it is being translated for her.

Why would they want to tell the audience that Dany speaks High Valyrian? It would be much more fun if the audience learned this the same moment Missandei does. I think that's how it's going to happen. The whole dubbing thing is way too fun, especially the way Missandei translates Kraznys' words.

Assuming Tyrion and Sansa's wedding does wind up in Episode 8 and hasn't been moved to Episode 7 as many have speculated, it kind of cracks me up that the powers that be haven't yet been able to come up with a name for the episode containing that hot mess. The utter awkwardness and awfulness of the wedding will probably have that kind of effect. I can imagine them being all, "So, yeah...how do we...what should we...yeah..."

As for the wedding being bumped to Episode 7, it's not just the wedding itself, but there are also the lead-up scenes (Sansa finding out, etc. etc.), a wedding feast (there was a glimpse of it in the 60-second trailer, where someone--Tyrion--slammed his dagger down on the table), and presumably some sort of wedding night scene in some shape or form. That's not even counting any potential wedding-related non-book scenes (the Tyrells reacting to having been outplayed, Shae comforting Sansa, or similar). Are they going to move all wedding-related scenes into Episode 7? Because it doesn't seem easily broken up, and there will be several scenes from where I stand: that's a lot of moved scenes to shuffle around.

The thing about "Mhysa":

On the one hand, it sounded as if it confirmed that the PW would not be in Episode 10. On the other hand, though, the trailer had shots of Cersei (one of which matched Cat's voiceover about losing something they loved), there's probably a Cersei/Sansa scene in 3x10--that scene with a seemingly grieving Sansa wearing the same dress she was wearing in the 3x10 still--so I could see there being a multipronged "mother" theme in 3x10: Dany and her "children," Cat's children losing their mother, possibly UnCat opening her eyes, and Cersei losing her child at the PW.

Ugh, I don't know what to think. Maybe the extended trailer set to air on Sunday will have some revealing snippet of footage.

Love the titles, second season seemed lacking a good names not this time! I have one opinion on one of the titles ive not yet seen.

307 Bear and the Maiden Fair: I like the bear pit conversation that seems real as any however could this also be the Tyrion and Sansa wedding? or is that pushed to season 4 ive not heard any word.

I'm going to add on to FSBA's thoughts... because IMDB has lots of info...... don't go look if you don't want to know. :D

Jojen Reed is credited in every episode, along with Beric, Mance, and Tormund. That might be contractual, or they might just be in every episode.

Ep. 301 – Valar Dohaeris - Is a lot of action to catch everyone up, and to establish new story lines:

Introduction to the BwB w/Arya & co, action at The Fist, Dany & Co leave Qarth/arrive Astapor (and meet Missandei & Daario- who is just a little übersexy), we meet The Reeds, Queen of Thorne's arrival in KL (if I hired Diana Rigg, she'd be in every episode), Mance & Co/Jon, The Tullys, Theon & RAMSEY, Karstark, Shireen & the new Selyse, Davos stranded, Jamie & Brienne. *WHEW*

Robb and Cat hear about Bran and Rickon, perhaps Balon's death? The only cast listed so far are Jojen, Beric, Mance, & Tormund. I think we have the arrival of Sam's Ravens as well. Davos rescued/imprisoned. News the Freys are a little mad.

Something to do with Theon maybe? I got nothing. Fist survivors walking to the wall, Slayer? The same cast from Ep2 is listed, but we also meet Martyn Lannister. Davos pardoned.

Mutiny at Craster's Keep and Joer's death, Hoster death and funeral, Balon's death (I think they need Asha/Yara this season, and why not set up the Queens/Kingsmoots)? We meet Wendel Manderly and the Great Frey Apology begins. Davos learns to read.

Ep. 305 – Kissed by Fire

Sexy time with Jon and Ygritte, the duel between Beric and the Hound, Beric's ressurection, and Dracarys. Definitely.

Ep. 306 – to be determined - Scaling The Wall. We meet a tortured slave.... who is credited in IMDB. Nice place to continue the Iron storyline not necessarily the new Greyjoys but Asha & The Reader, and introduce Oberyn, Ellaria, and the Kettleblacks in KL.

Bear Pit scene w/Steelshanks, definitely something between Jorah and Dany, definitely Tyrion and Sansa's wedding. Back in the Vale w/Lysa & Robin (because IMDB says so.)

If not in Episode 7, Sansa and Tyrion's wedding. Robb and Cat discuss Jon, Robb declares his will, Dany arrives at Yunkai and meets Mero, Jamie and Brienne continue journey to KL. Queenscrown.

Bran has a REALLY bad dream. Red Wedding and loads of Freys, Jon arrives at The Wall. Bran & Co heading north.

Ep. 310 – Mhysa

Obviously Dany. Could also refer to Cersei and Joffrey, Arya's thoughts about RW, and definitely reveal of unCat. Davos tells Stannis about the message from The Wall. Jon arrives at The Wall. Bran & Co Meet Sam & Co at the Nightfort. *

*I know I'm pretty much alone on this, but I haven't given up on the PW in Ep 10. The action that is important won't take up as much time as the RW, and doesn't necessarily need to be the DAY OF, so could happen in an earlier episode, like the gifts. It's Joffrey's WEDDING. That prep action could take up the entire season, and we don't need to see another "wedding" with all the trappings on screen at this point, even next year. Besides, Westerosi weddings aren't Catholic Masses. I also don't see a reason to keep Jack Gleeson contracted when he doesn't want to act anymore, and by season 4, he might make as big a maturity jump as Isaac will. But, soooooo many actors have said they're quitting, and never give it up. So.... *shrug*. It's a 65min episode, along with all the extra time added on this season, it's like a bonus episode. A LOT can happen on screen in that time. It would also make everyone's head explode with the magnitude of cliffhangers.

the PW in episode 10 would be pretty cool. If we have yet another season that closes out with the Starks getting screwed and Joffrey laughing then it might start to turn off some of the audience. You can only have the bad guys win so many times before people start to lose interest for the next season. Season 4 could wrap up the rest of ASOS in 5 or 6 episodes and leave some room to start on the post-Storm material.

Why would they want to tell the audience that Dany speaks High Valyrian? It would be much more fun if the audience learned this the same moment Missandei does. I think that's how it's going to happen. The whole dubbing thing is way too fun, especially the way Missandei translates Kraznys' words.

If they follow the book , and since it looks as if the Missandei , Kraznys and Dany scene is there then we know already that Dany speaks Valyrian since Barristan Selmy advisers her not to let on that she is , well, Valyrian.

(George made Kraznys pretty stupid ... since he thinks she only speaks the common tongue.)

Revealing it a little earlier would be hardly any change at all.

Else-wise I just can't see an episode named Valar Dohaeris without the words ever being spoken.

Now I suppose D and D could work in some way with new material, we shall have to see.

The show has been known to pull speeches and shift things around before. The best example I can come up with is the m'lord / my lord to Arya.

Tyrion

says "all men must serve" in high Valerion to Griff in DwD. It's very possible he could say them to his father when he's named to the small council, or to Cersei, or to Varys who knows.

Dany

Tells the ship captain to head for slaver's bay instead of Pentos

Arya

Possible she might meet a Braavosi sellsword in the BwB and says those words. It wouldn't be too far of a stretch since she identifies one of them at the inn as just that.

I'm going to add on to FSBA's thoughts... because IMDB has lots of info...... don't go look if you don't want to know. :D

Jojen Reed is credited in every episode, along with Beric, Mance, and Tormund. That might be contractual, or they might just be in every episode.

Ep. 301 – Valar Dohaeris - Is a lot of action to catch everyone up, and to establish new story lines:

Introduction to the BwB w/Arya & co, action at The Fist, Dany & Co leave Qarth/arrive Astapor (and meet Missandei & Daario- who is just a little übersexy), we meet The Reeds, Queen of Thorne's arrival in KL (if I hired Diana Rigg, she'd be in every episode), Mance & Co/Jon, The Tullys, Theon & RAMSEY, Karstark, Shireen & the new Selyse, Davos stranded, Jamie & Brienne. *WHEW*

Robb and Cat hear about Bran and Rickon, perhaps Balon's death? The only cast listed so far are Jojen, Beric, Mance, & Tormund. I think we have the arrival of Sam's Ravens as well. Davos rescued/imprisoned. News the Freys are a little mad.

Something to do with Theon maybe? I got nothing. Fist survivors walking to the wall, Slayer? The same cast from Ep2 is listed, but we also meet Martyn Lannister. Davos pardoned.

Mutiny at Craster's Keep and Joer's death, Hoster death and funeral, Balon's death (I think they need Asha/Yara this season, and why not set up the Queens/Kingsmoots)? We meet Wendel Manderly and the Great Frey Apology begins. Davos learns to read.

Ep. 305 – Kissed by Fire

Sexy time with Jon and Ygritte, the duel between Beric and the Hound, Beric's ressurection, and Dracarys. Definitely.

Ep. 306 – to be determined - Scaling The Wall. We meet a tortured slave.... who is credited in IMDB. Nice place to continue the Iron storyline not necessarily the new Greyjoys but Asha & The Reader, and introduce Oberyn, Ellaria, and the Kettleblacks in KL.

Bear Pit scene w/Steelshanks, definitely something between Jorah and Dany, definitely Tyrion and Sansa's wedding. Back in the Vale w/Lysa & Robin (because IMDB says so.)

If not in Episode 7, Sansa and Tyrion's wedding. Robb and Cat discuss Jon, Robb declares his will, Dany arrives at Yunkai and meets Mero, Jamie and Brienne continue journey to KL. Queenscrown.

Bran has a REALLY bad dream. Red Wedding and loads of Freys, Jon arrives at The Wall. Bran & Co heading north.

Ep. 310 – Mhysa

Obviously Dany. Could also refer to Cersei and Joffrey, Arya's thoughts about RW, and definitely reveal of unCat. Davos tells Stannis about the message from The Wall. Jon arrives at The Wall. Bran & Co Meet Sam & Co at the Nightfort. *

*I know I'm pretty much alone on this, but I haven't given up on the PW in Ep 10. The action that is important won't take up as much time as the RW, and doesn't necessarily need to be the DAY OF, so could happen in an earlier episode, like the gifts. It's Joffrey's WEDDING. That prep action could take up the entire season, and we don't need to see another "wedding" with all the trappings on screen at this point, even next year. Besides, Westerosi weddings aren't Catholic Masses. I also don't see a reason to keep Jack Gleeson contracted when he doesn't want to act anymore, and by season 4, he might make as big a maturity jump as Isaac will. But, soooooo many actors have said they're quitting, and never give it up. So.... *shrug*. It's a 65min episode, along with all the extra time added on this season, it's like a bonus episode. A LOT can happen on screen in that time. It would also make everyone's head explode with the magnitude of cliffhangers.

IMDB seems to be using that Cast short hand they do when they don't know who's in an episode.

I can't remember if this resolves itself before the season starts are not.

For instance, episode 1 has a pretty full list except Ian McElhinney name is missing and we know he's in Astapor with Dany, she meet him there?

Hope Belwas shows up season 4.

and o lord!

Ian Whyte/

is he the Mountain again or a White Walker?

The show has been known to pull speeches and shift things around before. The best example I can come up with is the m'lord / my lord to Arya.

I noticed that right off, but I don't think anyone , maybe, mentioned that , that dialog came up in ADwD.

I definitely think each title is meant to allude to more than just one event. As for things being moved around in order to title The Bear and the Maiden Fair, I think it is possible they pushed back Dany and Jorah's kiss to this episode. In the book it happens much earlier, but in order to align it with the bear pit scene they made it later in the season. It also just makes sense entertainment-wise that they would make the audience wait longer for it. As for Tyrion and Sansa's wedding, I feel like it is more likely that will be in episode 8 and rather the title is referring to the song that is sung during Sansa's meeting with the Queen of Thorns (aka: before the wedding).

301: I don't think it refers to any explicit scene in the episode, but it may be to do with Arya meeting the BWB

302: I like the idea of Robb and Cat receiving news of Bran and Rickon's deaths

303:Jaime or Theon, I'm guessing. Most likely Jaime. Aren't they rushing his arc a bit? The reason I think it's Jaime was because he was forced to walk with his hand tied around his neck by Vargo Hoat

304:Mutiny at Craster's Keep, Jeor's death

305:Jon has sex with Ygritte

307:Jaime saves Brienne(surprised to see it happen this early)

309: The Red Wedding, obviously

310: Fall of Yunkai, and most likely the last scene of the season

Edit: Oooh, I hadn't made the Dany/Jorah connection for episode 7. I like it. However if ep 7 IS Jaime saving Brienne, here's hoping they include the awesome "I only save maidens" line

Also, Valar Dohaeris might just be unrelated, like 'The Old Gods and the New' from Season 2, and could just be something thrown in for the book readers. Idk

Archived