Game of Thrones Episode Titles

Westeros

There's no way the Purple Wedding can be in one of the first two episodes. I'm expecting it no earlier than episode 4. The first few episodes will probably focus on Oberyn's arrival to King's Landing, the Battle at Castle Black, and the introduction of other new characters. They could devote almost an entire episode to the Purple Wedding, considering the amount of cast members involved: Joffrey, Tywin, Cersei, Kevan, Margaery, Loras, Sansa, Tyrion, Bronn, Shae, Varys, the Queen of Thorns and Oberyn, and hopefully Arianne, Ellaria Sand and Mace Tyrell.

I think you're overestimating how much time it would take up. There's essentially three scenes comprising the PW. The wedding gifts and Tyrion catching onto Joffrey the assassin, the wedding itself and then the feast resulting in Joffrey's death. The first can take place in episode 1 along with Oberyn's arrival. Then in E2 the wedding and the feast can be split into maybe 3 or 4 scenes (wedding scene, feast scene, Joffrey's death.). Keep in mind that all of S3 will also be building up to the PW as well, so the amount of buildup needed as of S4 will be pretty much nothing except for Oberyn.

I think you're overestimating how much time it would take up. There's essentially three scenes comprising the PW. The wedding gifts and Tyrion catching onto Joffrey the assassin, the wedding itself and then the feast resulting in Joffrey's death. The first can take place in episode 1 along with Oberyn's arrival. Then in E2 the wedding and the feast can be split into maybe 3 or 4 scenes (wedding scene, feast scene, Joffrey's death.). Keep in mind that all of S3 will also be building up to the PW as well, so the amount of buildup needed as of S4 will be pretty much nothing except for Oberyn.

I think that if you were to put the PW so early in the season it would slow the pace of the King's Landing plot. The pace of the season should build towards a climax, it is a complete disservice to the character of Joffrey to use him only as a plot device and off him in the second episode.

There's no way the Purple Wedding can be in one of the first two episodes. I'm expecting it no earlier than episode 4. The first few episodes will probably focus on Oberyn's arrival to King's Landing, the Battle at Castle Black, and the introduction of other new characters. They could devote almost an entire episode to the Purple Wedding, considering the amount of cast members involved: Joffrey, Tywin, Cersei, Kevan, Margaery, Loras, Sansa, Tyrion, Bronn, Shae, Varys, the Queen of Thorns and Oberyn, and hopefully Arianne, Ellaria Sand and Mace Tyrell.

I agree entirely this.

I'm just not seeing how my projection is taking any of this away. There is still plenty of time for all these character interactions, Tyrion would just be imprisoned at the time.

The Tyrion-Sansa relationship is over by the end of Episode 2, something was built up over the course of the last season? Where is the pay off in that?!

And no, Sansa can no longer interact with Tyrion because she is too busy escaping. Which is, in itself one of the moments that the audience has been waiting for over the past couple of seasons.

As for Tyrion and Sansa, well I think it's clear that D+D aren't too keen on milking that situation for all it's worth, seeing as how they're moving it to so late in the season. I can't say I particularly disagree there, there are only so many scenes you can have of Tyrion and Sansa awkwardly having dinner.

I don't agree with you at all here, if anything D+D are placing greater emphasis on Sansa-Tyrion by moving them to the climax of the KL plot for the season. Their wedding is what KL is going to be build to for the season. I think you have that entirely backwards.

Again, not understanding how having the PW early prevents any of this. And tbh I don't think we'll get Elia. More likely they'll bring Arianne to KL to introduce her.

I'd love to see Arianne early, I think that would be a very good change. It might even strengthen her motivations for trying to crown Myrcella and give Dorne its independence.

Again though, the PW completely turns KL on its head. The political landscape is effectively destroyed. We need to know all of the players before the shit hits the fan. Look at the model of the first season as an example of this. We had to know who each of our key players were (including Renly) before King Robert is removed. It would hurt the pace if we had to go back and learn about who everyone was after the event.

Wait do you mean like showing someone put poison in Joff's drink? That would be so unsubtle and dumbed down it wouldn't even be funny.

No, not quite that obvious. Though I do think that the hairnet will become an important prop and we will see Olenna remove something from it during the wedding. It would be good character development for the Tyrells certainly.

It would also be good if we knew that Oberyn was a poisoner by that point too.

I think that if you were to put the PW so early in the season it would slow the pace of the King's Landing plot. The pace of the season should build towards a climax, it is a complete disservice to the character of Joffrey to use him only as a plot device and off him in the second episode.

But the PW is not going to be a climax. If it was they would have put it in S2 E10. Regardless of whether it's in episode 1,2,3 or 4 of S4 it's not going to be a climax. I fail to see how starting off the season with a huge event that changes the political landscape of the show's central location is slowing down the pace. Quite the opposite I'd say. Starting off the season with filler scenes like you're suggesting is what would slow the season down.

The Tyrion-Sansa relationship is over by the end of Episode 2, something was built up over the course of the last season? Where is the pay off in that?!

And no, Sansa can no longer interact with Tyrion because she is too busy escaping. Which is, in itself one of the moments that the audience has been waiting for over the past couple of seasons.

I wasn't referring to Sansa and Tyrion there, I was referring to all the other character interactions like Oberyn/Tyrion, Jaime/Cersei, Olenna/Margaery etc. The only character dynamic which is cut short is Tyrion and Sansa and as I say I don't think they're too keen on playing up the awkwardness of Sansa and Tyrion's marriage.

I don't agree with you at all here, if anything D+D are placing greater emphasis on Sansa-Tyrion by moving them to the climax of the KL plot for the season. Their wedding is what KL is going to be build to for the season. I think you have that entirely backwards.

I disagree here. I think Sansa's political value is being emphasised this season hence why the GW is being moved to E8. And no doubt we'll get some Tyrion/Sansa interactions. But the actual awkward, unpleasantness of the marriage? I really don't think D+D want to play it up and tbh there's not that much to play up. In my proposal there's 5 solid episodes to play that out and I think that's all it needs.

I'd love to see Arianne early, I think that would be a very good change. It might even strengthen her motivations for trying to crown Myrcella and give Dorne its independence.

Good to see we agree on something :P

Again though, the PW completely turns KL on its head. The political landscape is effectively destroyed. We need to know all of the players before the shit hits the fan. Look at the model of the first season as an example of this. We had to know who each of our key players were (including Renly) before King Robert is removed. It would hurt the pace if we had to go back and learn about who everyone was after the event.

We already know all of the players practically. The only new ones are Mace and Oberyn with Oberyn being the only one who is immediately important and can be built up in episode 1. In any case I don't see why we need to have him fully established before the political landscape changes. I'd say that he would be another indication of the political turmoil, introducing such a volatile character into an already troubled time.

No, not quite that obvious. Though I do think that the hairnet will become an important prop and we will see Olenna remove something from it during the wedding. It would be good character development for the Tyrells certainly.

It would also be good if we knew that Oberyn was a poisoner by that point too.

Again, pretty much agree here and it would still fit in with my projection. Keep in mind that Oberyn will likely get some build up in S3 as did Stannis in S1 and Mance Rayder in S2.

The Purple Wedding won't be the climax of season 2, yes, but it will the biggest game changer in KL since the death of Robert Baratheon and Ned's incarceration. They took their time to show us that in season 1, they will also take their time to show us that. My guess is the end of the main PW episode will be Joff's last breath and Cersei's command to arrest Tyrion. But we won't see Sansa's escape until the next episode. Which means that it would be wise to include various clues on the possible suspects (i.e. Tyrion, Sansa, and Olenna) throughout that episode.

If they do cast Oberyn, they should better take their time introducing him properly, and give him time to interact with Tyrion and Tywin before the wedding. Joff's death is a game changer, and I don't see why Oberyn would want to visit Tyrion in his cell if the Lannister-Martell-enmity had not already been established.

We should also keep in mind that season 3 may actually not show as much as some of us think it might. Balon might not die during season 3, there may be no Shireen/Edric Storm sacrifice thing, and Dany may not reach Meereen. There might not even be a battle at Castle Black in season 3. They need time to catch up with that. Especially if they intend to include the whole Greyjoy arc from Balon's death to the Kingsmoot in season 4. It would simply make little sense to start the season with the Purple Wedding.

Lot of people saying PW should be no earlier than episode 4, protar saying it should be no later than episode 2; I'd like to find a compromise which annoys all of you and say PW in episode 3. :P

We'll have to see where exactly season 3 finishes off at, but PW in episode 3, season 4 sounds perfect for me. However, whatever does end up happening, I really hope they get a good actor for Oberyn. His role is incredibly demanding:

In the books he gets very little page time but he absolutely owns the show every step of the way. Finding an actor who can convey that much badassery is going to be difficult to say the least.

I was really looking forward to the Bear Pit scene, and the trailer raised my expectations even higher. I have a feeling Episode 7 is gonna be awesome! :D

In the books he gets very little page time but he absolutely owns the show every step of the way. Finding an actor who can convey that much badassery is going to be difficult to say the least.

Not really that hard. :P

Yeah, he does look the part...but not seen him act. Is he really good?

And yeah, really looking forward to bear pit scene.

He is. He was in The Mummy, Resident Evil, Sleeper Cell, Charmed...

He's really good at playing a friendly guy, and then turning into a pissed off, badass, vengeful killing machine. :P

I also can't wait for Kissed by Fire.

I think Danny's gonna go all Dracarys on Kraznys' ass. :P

Also, I think it'll cover the duel between Sandor and Beric, the Kiss of Life and the Lord's Kiss.

Easily my second most anticipated episode after Rains of Castamere.

Haha, pretty much fits the bill then. :P

Sure does. :P

James Purefoy would be a good alternative. I'm still not sure if he was joking when he said he doesn't want to be part of Game of Thrones. I hope he was. He's a great actor, and I'd love to see him on the show.

James Purefoy would be a good alternative. I'm still not sure if he was joking when he said he doesn't want to be part of Game of Thrones. I hope he was. He's a great actor, and I'd love to see him on the show.

I dunno, not seen him act but he looks too white to play a character from Dorne imo. Might be like casting a Lannister with brown hair.

Oh, wait, they did that with Lena Heady and then gave her a wig... maybe they could spray fake tan all over James Purefoy, or something. :P

Tbh though, whoever they cast, it can't be as bad as the casting in the Prince of Persia movie...Then again, I'm probably biased because I'm a brown man myself

I have always been in the camp which puts the PW at the end of this season. The final scene of the season is Tyrion's arrest.

Oberyn and Tyrion's scenes just get shifted from Tyrion being tour guide to Tyrion being prisoner.

Tyrion's trial (and the tension between Dorne and Highgarden) becomes the major KL storyline for season 4. Jaime's evolving face turn also is in KL.

The end of Ep 9 is Arya getting KO'd. We get one scene of the Hound riding off with her laying across the back of his horse (dead or alive?). They may tie that in with zombie Catelyn. (Bringing her back to life in a new season would seem cheap).

Pretty clearly Dany gets two cities this season, which leaves the biggest city (with battles) for Season 4.

I am also in the camp that books 4 and 5 will show up significantly in Season 4. Arya needs something to do. Are they going to throw away the Iron Men for two full seasons and then bring them back? Theon needs to still be in the show..

Just no. He's a perfect Euron.

Nestor Carbonell would be my first choice for Oberyn. Oded Fehr second, and Naveen Andrews, third.

Oded Fehr would be the perfect choice. He IS the red viper.

I have always been in the camp which puts the PW at the end of this season. The final scene of the season is Tyrion's arrest.

Oberyn and Tyrion's scenes just get shifted from Tyrion being tour guide to Tyrion being prisoner.

That seems risky to me, Tyrion being a prisoner would change the dynamic of the early conversations between him and the Red Viper way too much.

Archived