Game of Thrones Episode Titles

Westeros

Great news for Australian GoT fans. As part of the publicity for the release of the Season 2 DVDs out here this week, it has been confirmed that Season 3 will air within hours of going to air in the USA. The show screens on Sunday nights in the USA, which is late Monday morning Australian time, so it will be on Foxtel out here on Monday nights, starting 1 April. That was what we were all hoping for, following the deal with HBO last year, but it's nice to have it confirmed. :)

I saw this the other day; airing at about 4pm on the east coast! Going to have to record them as I won't be at home. I can imagine myself shoving old ladies and pregnant women out of tram lines to make sure I get home as early as possible..

Actually, I think Arya should get to Braavos in season 4. They could go as far as her getting rid of all her stuff and hiding Needle beneath the steps. And since GRRM has cut down much of Arya's adventures in Braavos, the show could actually profit from exploring that. GRRM could even write an episode with new Arya stuff in seasons 4 and/or 5.

Fully elaborated, some elements are slow, but travels with the Brotherhood and then travels with the Dog, are some of the most entertaining and linear stories in SoS. There sure seems enough for two seasons. I think Arya, not sure, has the most chapters in SoS?

But there are not that many Arya chapters between the Red Wedding and Saltpans, are they? They can easily cut their attempt to travel to the Vale. In fact, all the Arya-Sandor-stuff we need after the Red Wedding is the Crossroads Inn scene where Arya gets Needle back, followed by 'the death' of the Hound.

There is no interesting dynamic between Arya and Sandor after the Red Wedding. Both are depressed the whole time, especially Arya.

Nah, Lysa's death scene is the perfect conclusion to the first trilogy (AGoT-ASoS). It all started with Jon Arryn, and it all ends with Jon Arryn. I'd put money on it being the final scene of S4 right now.

I don't really think it's big enough to be honest. It's a reveal for a mystery which won't have been relevant for 3 seasons and only affects 2 major characters. Something like Uncat would make a much better finale.

I do quite like the idea of moving Lysa's death to early S5 as well because God knows Sansa will need more material. But then there's little for her to do in S4. Hrrmmm.

If the Purple Wedding happens in about the middle of season 4, it would make sense to put Lysa's death in the last episode of that season (not necessarily the final scene). But if there Purple Wedding would happen - as some suggest - in the very beginning of season 4, it would make little sense to postpone Lysa's death until the very end. Sansa does not all that much between the Purple Wedding and the end of ASoS. And I'm not sure if they'll include the wedding on the Fingers.

I don't really think it's big enough to be honest. It's a reveal for a mystery which won't have been relevant for 3 seasons and only affects 2 major characters. Something like Uncat would make a much better finale.

I think saying that scene only affects two major characters is a bit unfair. Lysa's death is huge not because it's an action sequence that involves the whole cast. On a base level, yeah, only LF and Sansa are truly "affected", but it's more the revelation that LF has been behind pretty much everything that's happened thus far that gives this scene weight. If you look at it that way, then it involves pretty much every character throughout the series and can really cause people to look back and review the past seasons through another lens.

If done right, I think it could be one of the better season-ending cliffhangers.

Lysa's mad rant is indeed one of the most powerfully written monologue GRRM has delivered yet. It is a real eye-opener and should be adapted as closely to the source material as possible. In my opinion, they have already showed to much of darkness and cruelty in Littlefinger's character. Which is why the 'Only Cat' line and Lysa's murder won't have the same impact it had on me when reading this section for the first time. But the revelation about Lysa and Littlefinger's involvement in the murder of Jon Arryn and the writing of the letter to Catelyn will still have the same impact. Many people will have already forgotten about that. But they will remember it soon enough. And they will really start to hate Littlefinger.

I dunno, I just didn't find it quite as impacting as you guys. It was the death of a character I didn't particularly care for even as a villain, I'd completely forgotten about Jon Arryn at this point and it was already pretty clear that LF had manipulated the factions into fighting. The revelation just meant he was responsible for the very first step as opposed to the second. A great scene, but it never struck as a scene to end a book with (though technically it didn't.) over say Tywin's death, and it doesn't strike me as one to end a season with either. Call me crazy, but the reveal that LF was behind the death of a person we never met, won't quite compare to stuff like Tywin getting shot for show-only fans.

But there's no reason to extend the main story arcs beyond where they end in SOS because they're the only valid climaxes. If we move the main story arcs into AFFC/ADWD in the latter part of the season then they're going to be stranded in a part of the story without any decent climaxes. I think we can say with reasonable certainty that it will be the sideplots that are moved forwards. Dany's arc is the only exception I can see to this quite simply because she has 2 chapters taking Meeereen and that can't be stretched across 10 episodes.

Very well said. Frankly the idea that D&D won't try to preserve the absolutely fantastic finish of ASOS as much as possible is ludicrous. It's going to be the best Episode 10 since the first season.

UnCat will be this season (I think). I don't think they can leave that idle for a whole season... MUCH longer than in the ASOS book... it just won't work as well. I disagree that the Lysa stuff isn't big enough. It reveals the huge scope of the Littlefinger Conspiracy (â„¢ Race for the Throne) that has shaped pretty much all of the events in Westeros up to this point. "Only affects 2 major characters" ignores that it is basically responsible for pitting the Lannisters and Starks versus each other. The scope of it is frankly staggering and it causes the reader (viewer) to re-evaluate everything that has happened in the fight for the Iron Throne to this point. The implications of what Littlefinger has accomplished with it are dramatic enough, for sure. That's why it was such a great arc ender in the book... the same effects apply in the show just as well.

The BANG-BANG-BANG ending of the Tysha reveal followed by Tyrion first discovering and murdering Shae and then murdering Tywin, and then Lysa going flying out the Moon Door, will leave non-book-readers heads absolutely spinning, even without UnCat.

I don't mind if they reverse these, but I think they should (combined) be the ending scenes of Ep10. Ep9 should focus on the Battle at the Wall, much like Blackwater did in S2.

But if UnCat is the S3 finale (which seems very likely), what else is there for the final scene of S4? There's no appropriate "big twist with a supernatural edge" available, which is their usual tactic. All they've got is various conclusions of individual characters arcs, and while all these conclusions are great, Lysa's death and its revelation that LF has been behind more or less everything that has happened is absolutely the most important scene in regards to the series as a whole, so it's the best fit for that final moment of the season.

Genuine question - what else would you have? The only other scene I could see working is Arya giving the sailor the coin and saying "Valar Morghulis" - for pure thematic reasons. All men must die is pretty much the main theme of ASoS.

^I have been wondering that aswell. There will be no supernatural arc for the end of Season 4 if Uncat shows up in this season's finale.

Depending on what happens in future books I'd love to see an unknown boat crossing the narrow sea thats attacked and pulled under by a Kraken. Thats the only supernatural thing I can think of that they could show.

^I have been wondering that aswell. There will be no supernatural arc for the end of Season 4 if Uncat shows up in this season's finale.

Depending on what happens in future books I'd love to see an unknown boat crossing the narrow sea thats attacked and pulled under by a Kraken. Thats the only supernatural thing I can think of that they could show.

Maybe they could show some warging, like the ADwD prologue?

But if UnCat is the S3 finale (which seems very likely), what else is there for the final scene of S4? There's no appropriate "big twist with a supernatural edge" available, which is their usual tactic. All they've got is various conclusions of individual characters arcs, and while all these conclusions are great, Lysa's death and its revelation that LF has been behind more or less everything that has happened is absolutely the most important scene in regards to the series as a whole, so it's the best fit for that final moment of the season.

Genuine question - what else would you have? The only other scene I could see working is Arya giving the sailor the coin and saying "Valar Morghulis" - for pure thematic reasons. All men must die is pretty much the main theme of ASoS.

Depending on how much they stretch in S4, the UnCat reveal (which is completely different from the Kiss of Life scene which could happen at the end of S3) could certainly be a S4 season ender (as it was in ASoS). Cat opening her eyes in the S3 finale does not reveal the monstrosity that she will become or what purpose she will serve going forward. Having an entire season of the audience questioning what actually happened to her after she was revived would have an amazing payoff if we then got the Frey hanging scene (with the reveal of UnCat being the new leader of the BwB and her disfigured appearance and psyche) to cap off S4. You could have offhand remarks of some weird going-ons in the Riverlands throughout S4 and certain Freys and/or Lannisters gone missing with some speculation about the BwB role in this could set the stage for the big reveal in the season's final scene.

It fits the supernatural, shocker moment and it is also extremely satisfying for fans to see Cat getting to exact some revenge on the asshole Frey's. That combined with the creepiness of what she has become (after the belief being left at the end of S3 that she'd be alive and essentially herself again) makes for a pretty great cliffhanger.

There's always moving Bran's story up to meeting Bloodraven in the caves, he is a pretty supernatural dude, all skeletal and fungal, surrounded by little elf people and all. Bran's going to need some stuff to do anyways in season 3 and 4, so I envision Catelyn being revived ending season 3 and Bran meeting Bloodraven ending season 4 after all the crazy shit with Lysa and Tywin goes down.

There's always moving Bran's story up to meeting Bloodraven in the caves, he is a pretty supernatural dude, all skeletal and fungal, surrounded by little elf people and all. Bran's going to need some stuff to do anyways in season 3 and 4, so I envision Catelyn being revived ending season 3 and Bran meeting Bloodraven ending season 4 after all the crazy shit with Lysa and Tywin goes down.

Yes, I agree. It would seem that some stories will need to be moved up. Although, ending with Bran and Bloodraven wouldn't be too far ahead considering AFFC and ADWD have concurrent timelines. There are so many new characters in AFFC that I have a hard time seeing how they will be able to keep all of the storylines running. Oh well, one season at a time.

In this interview with Julian Glover:

, Julian mentions (at 4:20) how Tywin dies. Given he doesn't appear to know what's going on with the rest of the story, I am assuming what they have done in the KL storyline is:

Switched Tywin and Joffrey's deaths, presumably with Tywin's death as the end of the S3 KL arc. I don't think that disrupts the story too much, as it isn't really necessary that Tyrion kill Tywin as everyone believes he killed Joffrey anyway. In season four Cersei can put Tyrion on trial for Tywin's death and then Littlefinger & Olenna can frame him for Joffrey's death too.

Tywin became less relevant after Joffrey's death anyway as Cersei took all the power for herself, and I think that's an angle they will want to play up as much as possible.

Archived