Game of Thrones Episode Titles

Westeros

This catalyst function of Joffrey's death indeed strongly suggest that Joff won't be killed in a season finale. It would make a good cliffhanger, but not as good a cliffhanger as Tywin's/Shae's murder, Lysa's fall, and so on (i.d. the real ending of ASoS).

Joffrey's death can be a turning point of season 4 just as Viserys' and Robert's deaths were turning points in season 1, and Renly's assassination in season 2. Lord Commander Mormont's death, and the Sacking of Astapor will fulfill a similar role in season 3.

If they kill Joff early on season 4 they will not be able to end the KL arc with Tywin's death and Tyrion's escape. And this is by far the best ending for this story. From 'Blackwater' on we are going to see House Lannister rise ever higher in power and influence, and with Joff's death this feeling of actual triumph of House Lannister will actually, since Tywin, the de facto ruler of Westeros, will now be able to make shape the nice boy into a good king.

This only ends with Tywin's death. It's the beginning of the end for House Lannister, and all Cersei is going to do in subsequent seasons is to show us how they will fall from grace.

How could they keep Tyrion in a cell for nearly an entire season? Why wouldn't they want to kill Tywin in the last episode of season 4? We don't need Tyrion and Illyrio in season 4, nor will it be possible to end Tyrion's arc after the introduction of Aegon. They don't need to get to Tyrion's journey to Pentos to indicate/foreshadow that Varys intends for Tyrion to join the Targaryens. We could have guessed as much in season 2 already.

A decent KL arc for season 4 needs:

- introduction of Prince Oberyn, Mace Tyrell, and the Tyrell-Martell/Martell-Lannister-enmity.

- a slow buildup to the royal wedding, hints about the stuff going on behind the scenes

- some additional screen time for the Red Viper (with Tyrion, Tywin, and the Tyrells); this character either does play a major role or needs not to be included at all - they could easily have Bronn take Oberyn's role during the trial-by-combat!

- a well done royal wedding with many cameo appearances of characters in the books

- Joffrey's death and Sansa's escape

- Tyrion's imprisonment; conversations between him and Kevan

- squabbling and accusations behind the scenes (suspicions against the Red Viper, Cersei blaming Tyrion, a hint about Tywin's true feelings in this mess)

- the trial, Varys and Shae's confessions

- the Red Viper taking

- the trial-by-combat and Oberyn's death

- the murders and Tyrion's escape

What about Arya and Brienne/Jaime bro. Those plot lines are pretty sweet too.

Everybody seems to agree that the PW will be early season 4 (which i think is a terrible mistake, the show being the strongest to me when it doesn't drag on for ages as we already have the books for a detailled plot, the series needs more action !).

But then what will be episode 10 and the cliffhangers at the end ??

Is it gonna be again a daenerhys one ?? and what will be the one in KL ??

To me it seems like a weak episode =s

That being said, whatever they decide I will love it and support it =) GoT all the way !! i can't wait two more weeks it's killing me !!!

Everybody seems to agree that the PW will be early season 4 (which i think is a terrible mistake, the show being the strongest to me when it doesn't drag on for ages as we already have the books for a detailled plot, the series needs more action !).

But then what will be episode 10 and the cliffhangers at the end ??

Is it gonna be again a daenerhys one ?? and what will be the one in KL ??

To me it seems like a weak episode =s

That being said, whatever they decide I will love it and support it =) GoT all the way !! i can't wait two more weeks it's killing me !!!

Episode 10s of GoT have been "wrap-up" episodes, basically "this is where these characters are now".

Then episode 1s have been introductions/reintroductions to people and places.

Episode 10 could have the following cliffhangers or end points:

Jon reaching Castle Black and either readying the forces there for an attack or engaging in a skirmish with Orell, Tormund and Ygritte there.

Beric giving the kiss of life to Cat after Arya has her wolf dream through Nymeria and dragging her body out of the river

Dany freeing the slaves of Yunkai and being hailed as "Mhysha" as per the title of the episode

Sam and Gilly meeting Coldhands

Bran and Rickon finally parting ways

Balon Greyjoy dying mysteriously with Yara either witnessing or seeing the aftermath

Stannis getting a letter from Castle Black or a reaffirmation of the leeches scene which foreshadows Joffrey's eventual death now that Balon and Robb have bit it

Jaime returning to save Brienne from the Bear Pit (although this could be earlier in the season)

Everybody else reacting to and processing what happened at the RW (Arya, Sansa, Lannisters in KL, Theon, Ramsay, Roose etc)

Everybody seems to agree that the PW will be early season 4 (which i think is a terrible mistake, the show being the strongest to me when it doesn't drag on for ages as we already have the books for a detailled plot, the series needs more action !)

:agree:

Not everyone, but those that think it's season 4 state their claims as if D&D have told them so personally, and keep bullying the rest of us to STFU.

I get it. Both camps see it as, "how can it not be this way?" The difference is, I'm enjoying the discussion and speculations. It's fun, because we're all excited, and it's going to be a long two weeks. :D

Episode 10s of GoT have been "wrap-up" episodes, basically "this is where these characters are now".

The final episode of the last two seasons have been way more than "wrap-ups", and are filled with big events along with cliffhangers. Seriously. Which was more of a shock: Ned's death, or real dragons actually being born? The Battle of The Blackwater, or the Whitewalker Army? Sure, the latter events have come hard on the heels of the previous ones, but are no less shocking, and just as important to the story in the long run.

There was also the Northmen declaring Robb "King in the North", Bran and Rickon having the same dream, Tywin making Tyrion acting Hand, Jamie confessing to Cat that he pushed Bran, Joffrey displaying in more than one scene just what a sociopath he is and the Hound stopping Sansa from killing him, Daenerys learning she had a stillborn dragon-boy baby then killing Drogo, Arya becoming a badass boy and heading for the wall, and Jon going AWOL then being brought back. Season 2's final episode was just as packed, including the HoU, Bran&Co's Road North, Jaqen showing us exactly what a Faceless Man is, the beginning of the Marriage Marathon, Joffrey's Shiny New Fiancée, and Jon seeing just how big Mance's army is. (And those are just the highlights.)

The PW is an easy scene to have as one of the Ep:10 cliffhangers in addition to the ones King Tommen mentions. It's not as big or as long of a scene as the RW, since there's no battle and giant slaughter with bodies everywhere, indoors and out. There are three points to it - the hairnet, the book, and the end with Cersei screaming for Tyrion's arrest.

Yes, it's the PW, but that's no reason to make it a long and drawn out ceremony, as if the audience comes from some off-planet society and hasn't a clue about what happens at weddings, especially since that is the fifth one so far, and it's going to be the focal point of KL beginning in EP1 with Cersei's "dinner." Anyone think Dame Rigg won't be there?

I think the biggest problem with postponing it until next season is what the hell to do with Jamie & Brienne for so long, since they cannot arrive in KL until after the PW.

The PW may very well be in season 4, but I think postponing it creates more problems with narrative, pacing, and the overall timeline than it helps.

They can make up a lot of stuff for Jaime and Brienne to do before their arrival in King's Landing. They've done it before -- see Dany's story in Season 2.

The pacing might be weird if they do it early in Season 4, but it might also be more effective to have it happen earlier considering that most viewers expect the big events in later episodes.

They can make up a lot of stuff for Jaime and Brienne to do before their arrival in King's Landing. They've done it before -- see Dany's story in Season 2.

The pacing might be weird if they do it early in Season 4, but it might also be more effective have it happen earlier considering that most viewers expect the big events in later episodes.

I can see that, but I think that it hurt Dany's story, and made it horribly redundant. I'd hate to see them have to create "fill" for J&B, when they're splitting ASOS into two seasons because there's just soooo much material already.

If Martin had written an equal number of chapters for his POV characters, then they wouldn't have to fill in with invented scenes. But he did not do this so the show either has to have characters disappear for large periods of time or have things for them to do while the other storylines catch up.

I can see that, but I think that it hurt Dany's story, and made it horribly redundant. I'd hate to see them have to create "fill" for J&B, when they're splitting ASOS into two seasons because there's just soooo much material already.

It only hurt Dany's story because the stuff they made up was stupid. They've made up quality stuff before, like the Arya/Tywin scenes. Even if those weren't as good as the Harrenhal stuff in the books, they were still well-written and fun scenes. Another example was the Ned/Jaime duel in season one, which was awesome. Or the scene with Robert and Cercei where they discuss Lyanna. They've made up plenty of good scenes on the show.

So it's less the making stuff up and more the not making up bad stuff.

:agree:

Not everyone, but those that think it's season 4 state their claims as if D&D have told them so personally, and keep bullying the rest of us to STFU.

I get it. Both camps see it as, "how can it not be this way?" The difference is, I'm enjoying the discussion and speculations. It's fun, because we're all excited, and it's going to be a long two weeks. :D

The final episode of the last two seasons have been way more than "wrap-ups", and are filled with big events along with cliffhangers. Seriously. Which was more of a shock: Ned's death, or real dragons actually being born? The Battle of The Blackwater, or the Whitewalker Army? Sure, the latter events have come hard on the heels of the previous ones, but are no less shocking, and just as important to the story in the long run.

The PW may very well be in season 4, but I think postponing it creates more problems with narrative, pacing, and the overall timeline than it helps.

Waow I didn't know it still existed : people wh still hope and think putting the PW as the season cliffhanger would be better =) Glad I'm not alone !!

Also I wanted to pointed out something: many people say that Tywin's death is bigger than joffrey's ... I DISAGREE !!!

Joffrey is the king and the ultimate prick, bad guy that EVERYBODY wants to see dying and from nearly the first seconds of season 1 !! Tywin is huge but not as antagonistic as joffrey is ! Therefore Joffrey's death to me is way more significant !

Anywyaz as bardgal said it, it's gonna be a loooooooooong two weeks lol

Ps: and like he said the PW could be wrapped in a matter of 20-30 minutes max as nobody cares about the whole preparation except for the final feast where the action happens !!

PPs: I think the fact they haven't released episode 8 title yet might be significant !! Maybe The Rains of Castamere is the epsidoe where the whole realm learns of the RW and not the one where it happens. It could be a reminder to the realm as to what happens to houses defying the lannister rule !!

Waow I didn't know it still existed : people wh still hope and think putting the PW as the season cliffhanger would be better =) Glad I'm not alone !!

Also I wanted to pointed out something: many people say that Tywin's death is bigger than joffrey's ... I DISAGREE !!!

Joffrey is the king and the ultimate prick, bad guy that EVERYBODY wants to see dying and from nearly the first seconds of season 1 !! Tywin is huge but not as antagonistic as joffrey is ! Therefore Joffrey's death to me is way more significant !

Anywyaz as bardgal said it, it's gonna be a loooooooooong two weeks lol

Ps: and like he said the PW could be wrapped in a matter of 20-30 minutes max as nobody cares about the whole preparation except for the final feast where the action happens !!

PPs: I think the fact they haven't released episode 8 title yet might be significant !! Maybe The Rains of Castamere is the epsidoe where the whole realm learns of the RW and not the one where it happens. It could be a reminder to the realm as to what happens to houses defying the lannister rule !!

Joffrey's death is awesome, but it's nowhere near as important as Tywin's. Joffrey is an idiot who constantly makes bad decisions, and the only reason Stannis didn't sack King's Landing and chop off his head was because of Tyrion's wits and Tywin's timely arrival. If it had simply been Joffrey making decisions, the war would have been over almost before it even started.

The true power in the Lannister family is the cunning that Tywin and Tyrion possess. When both of them are removed from the board at the end of the third book, it's the beginning of the end of Lannister Power in Westeros. Joffrey's death is fan service, but Tywin's death has much greater implications on the power structure in King's Landing.

Joffrey's death is awesome, but it's nowhere near as important as Tywin's. Joffrey is an idiot who constantly makes bad decisions, and the only reason Stannis didn't sack King's Landing and chop off his head was because of Tyrion's wits and Tywin's timely arrival. If it had simply been Joffrey making decisions, the war would have been over almost before it even started.

The true power in the Lannister family is the cunning that Tywin and Tyrion possess. When both of them are removed from the board at the end of the third book, it's the beginning of the end of Lannister Power in Westeros. Joffrey's death is fan service, but Tywin's death has much greater implications on the power structure in King's Landing.

Fan service is what makes a TV show ...

If people wants to see a detailled history of power, plots and the defeat and murder of warlords and powerful people , they watch a documentary on the middle ages in Europe ...

Don't get me wrong, i love to hear and read about the history of westeros but what differentiate the TV show and the books is that it is a different medium of telling a story. The books can and have to be detailled, while the TV show needs action ! The Show is MAINLY for TV audience not to satisfy fan of the books who are NOT the majority of viewers :s

A TV show needs momentum, momentum and again momentum, it just can't drag on forever on dialogs and subplots that NOBODY excepts for the people who have read the books will get and understand !!

and to clearly explain the point I'm trying to make just read this article from one of the writer who clearly says they don't want to drag on at all ...

http://io9.com/what-happens-when-em-game-of-thrones-em-runs-out-of-453871355

and finally I agree that tywin is the mastermind of the Lannisters but the one the Tv audience wants to see dying is Joffrey not necessaraly Tywin !!

and the TV show is ALL about the TV audience NOT the book readers ;) People have to take both as different story, not necessarely the same plot,subplot and dynamics and speed.

True.

and finally I agree that tywin is the mastermind of the Lannisters but the one the Tv audience wants to see dying is Joffrey not necessaraly Tywin !!

and the TV show is ALL about the TV audience NOT the book readers ;) People have to take both as different story, not necessarely the same plot,subplot and dynamics and speed.

If this show was all about the TV audience, Ned Stark would never have been killed and Robb would vanquish the Lannisters.

It's not the job of the showrunners to give the audience what they want at every turn. People who watch shows like Game of Thrones (as in cable dramas) want to be challenged. They want conflict. They want tragedy. They don't want sugarcoated happy endings at the end of every season. Ending with the Purple Wedding would be fan service, sure, but the show would be so much better off ending with another Lannister victory, then surprising the audience early next season by killing off Joffrey just when it seems like the Lannisters are unbeatable.

Also, fan service is not what makes a TV show. Compelling drama is what makes for a good TV show (unless it's a comedy, of course). A Song of Ice and Fire, of course, has become such a popular series precisely because it doesn't always give the readers what they want. It bucks fan service in the name of telling a better, more interesting story.

Joffrey's death is a catalyst for what takes place in King's Landing after the PW. This season and the beginning of season 4 will build up anticipation for Joffrey and Margaery's wedding. After the RW, no one will expect another tragic wedding. Joffrey's death will catch people completely off guard and set the stage for the rest of season 4. There's no reason for it to be in season 3.

Archived