Game of Thrones Episode Titles

Westeros

There's no real point of ending most of the characters' ASOS arcs early in season 4, since the book does it so perfectly.

A TV season does not have to end at exactly the same point as one of the books! They have basically done this so far for Books 1 and 2, but it is not necessarily going happen for ASOS and beyond. People need to stop thinking precisely in terms of the books' structure, and view things from the perspective of adapting them for TV. As GRRM will be the first to agree, what works in a book does not always work as well on screen.

A TV season does not have to end at exactly the same point as one of the books! They have basically done this so far for Books 1 and 2, but it is not necessarily going happen for ASOS and beyond. People need to stop thinking precisely in terms of the books' structure, and view things from the perspective of adapting them for TV. As GRRM will be the first to agree, what works in a book does not always work as well on screen.

But the thing is, most of the endings of the characters' arcs are just made for a season finale. The showrunners seriously cannot find a better way to end Tyrion, Jon, Arya and Sansa's arcs in season 4 than the ones that are provided in the end of ASOS. Look at the season finales for the two seasons, especially Valar Morghulis. Both of them have the same feeling of conclusion throughout the entire episode, which the book also has. And unCat is the perfect cliffhanger of an ending that the show tends to end their seasons with

Not sure if anyone has posted this before, but D&D have said that The Bear and the Maiden Fair will be brought to life by an indie rock band.

I am so hyped about this, I can't wait! The Rains of Castamere was awesome, and I have faith this will be just as good.

I hope they decide to make The Last of the Giants as well.

Great news for Australian GoT fans. As part of the publicity for the release of the Season 2 DVDs out here this week, it has been confirmed that Season 3 will air within hours of going to air in the USA. The show screens on Sunday nights in the USA, which is late Monday morning Australian time, so it will be on Foxtel out here on Monday nights, starting 1 April. That was what we were all hoping for, following the deal with HBO last year, but it's nice to have it confirmed. :)

Why not? That's when they happen.

The latter part of ASOS, AFFC, and most of ADWD all happen simultaniously.

I dont understand why so many people are married to events in order as they appear in the books, instead of how they happen in time chronologically.

It's not hard to follow the way the books are written, because you can go back and look stuff up, and refresh what happened 1200 pages ago.

Non-book readers need to follow events as they happen. I don't see D&D starting a season, "One year ago in Pyke...."

That's not true though. The only events from AFFC/ADWD that concretely take place in SOS time is the Kingsmoot and probably Bran in the Haunted Forest as well. I mean I do think they should move some subplots to S4, but the main storylines should only go as far as SOS.

Obviously I meant the endings of all the characters whose stories conclude in the end of ASoS to be their endings in season 4 as well. I'm well aware that the first Aeron chapter in AFfC happens even before the Red Wedding - shortly after Balon's death, to be precise - and that the first Areo chapter happens before Tywin is murdered (but obviously after Oberyn's death).

That's all. And I never said the Greyjoy or Martell plots should only start in season 5. In fact, I say they should start in season 4.

But I'm not certain if they should include Balon's death in season 3. It would hang in the air, especially since neither Euron nor Aeron have been cast yet. This means there won't be any reaction to Balon's death in season 3. Asha being confirmed does not change that, especially since if they are going to stick to the Kingsmoot plot, she would have to be the one arriving rather late on the isles after the news about Balon's demise spread. And Euron has to be there the very day after Balon falls.

I'd like to see Balon Greyjoy again in season 3 since the actor very much nailed the character. I already wanted some scene where he reacted to both the conquest of Winterfell and Theon's alleged demise. Such a scene could as well be in season 3. And perhaps subsequent scenes about Balon deciding to offer Joffrey an alliance or something like that. Although it may be enough if Tywin receives and discusses the letter. But I don't think we should see Balon's death next season. They should make Robb the first king who falls to Mel's 'leech curse', that way the Red Wedding may be more surprising to the unprepared audience. And I'm pretty sure they won't foreshadow the Red Wedding all that much. Even Tywin's involvement may come as a surprise to the audience in the last episode.

They could set up Robb to take his revenge against the Greyjoys, not against the Lannisters. He is trying to go back home, is he not? Those additional Asha scenes could show how she and Balon are trying to prevent the Starks from returning North (by seizing Moat Cailin).

On Stannis, my take remains that I'm hoping they will invent some stuff for Davos, Mel, and the Dragonstone gang for season 3, only putting in the ASoS until the leech curse in season 3, keeping the sacrifice stuff for season 4. The fact that Stannis has not gotten his fake Lightbringer in season 2 may indicate that Mel is going to create this in season 3. It would be weird if they would omit that thing.

It could be interesting to see how desperation takes over on Dragonstone, especially if Davos does not fall from grace at once, and only plans to assassinate Melisandre some time after he has returned to Dragonstone. We should keep in mind that Davos survival is going to come as a huge surprise for the non-book audience, and that they won't be convince us that Davos would kill Mel just after one episode.

Why are there only 10 eps/season? This franchise is big enough to make a REAL season of 24 eps, yes?

You're thinking of Broadcast Network series, not cable.

HBO has never done that many episodes for any scripted show in a season.

Why are there only 10 eps/season? This franchise is big enough to make a REAL season of 24 eps, yes?

Quality > Quantity. As much as I would like to see more eps, they only way I see that happening is if HBO compromises quality in sets, cgi, costumes, etc to have more money to pay actors for longer periods, etc. I would hate to see a downgrade in production quality just to have more episodes.

But the thing is, most of the endings of the characters' arcs are just made for a season finale. The showrunners seriously cannot find a better way to end Tyrion, Jon, Arya and Sansa's arcs in season 4 than the ones that are provided in the end of ASOS. Look at the season finales for the two seasons, especially Valar Morghulis. Both of them have the same feeling of conclusion throughout the entire episode, which the book also has. And unCat is the perfect cliffhanger of an ending that the show tends to end their seasons with.

I can only again suggest you read the various interviews about the structure of the series from Season 3 onwards - you seem to be ignoring what has been said publicly on various occasions by writers/producers. On another thread, bardgal posted an extract from an interview back in October 2012 - see here: http://winteriscomin...m-of-swords/. So, George Martin himself has confirmed that S4 will not 'just' be ASOS, and the show writers/producers have also said that - see for example this interview on 11 April last year: http://www.huffingto..._1416386.html and well as this one: : http://screenrant.co...ils-aco-160936/ . The storylines you nominate may end where you think they will, and then again, they may not: the only certainty is that people need to stop thinking about exact seasons per book, or assuming that just because a character's story ends at a particular point in one book, it is also also end at that same point in a specific season.

I can only again suggest you read the various interviews about the structure of the series from Season 3 onwards - you seem to be ignoring what has been said publicly on various occasions by writers/producers. On another thread, bardgal posted an extract from an interview back in October 2012 - see here: http://winteriscomin...m-of-swords/. So, George Martin himself has confirmed that S4 will not 'just' be ASOS, and the show writers/producers have also said that - see for example this interview on 11 April last year: http://www.huffingto..._1416386.html and well as this one: : http://screenrant.co...ils-aco-160936/ . The storylines you nominate may end where you think they will, and then again, they may not: the only certainty is that people need to stop thinking about exact seasons per book, or assuming that just because a character's story ends at a particular point in one book, it is also also end at that same point in a specific season.

I didn't say that they wouldn't incorporate AFFC and ADWD, I just said that using the material from those two books for characters such as Tyrion and Jon is unnecessary.

But there's no reason to extend the main story arcs beyond where they end in SOS because they're the only valid climaxes. If we move the main story arcs into AFFC/ADWD in the latter part of the season then they're going to be stranded in a part of the story without any decent climaxes. I think we can say with reasonable certainty that it will be the sideplots that are moved forwards. Dany's arc is the only exception I can see to this quite simply because she has 2 chapters taking Meeereen and that can't be stretched across 10 episodes.

But there's no reason to extend the main story arcs beyond where they end in SOS because they're the only valid climaxes. If we move the main story arcs into AFFC/ADWD in the latter part of the season then they're going to be stranded in a part of the story without any decent climaxes. I think we can say with reasonable certainty that it will be the sideplots that are moved forwards. Dany's arc is the only exception I can see to this quite simply because she has 2 chapters taking Meeereen and that can't be stretched across 10 episodes.

You explained this far better than I could have, thanks. The only things from AFFC and ADWD which can run at the same time as the events from ASOS in season 4 are Bran's ventures north of the Wall, the Kingsmoot and the Greyjoys, and Daenerys ruling Meereen. Like protar said, if they start including Arya, Jon or any other main characters' arcs from the fourth or fifth books in season 4, they would be denying the audience of highly satisfying endings to the season.

You explained this far better than I could have, thanks. The only things from AFFC and ADWD which can run at the same time as the events from ASOS in season 4 are Bran's ventures north of the Wall, the Kingsmoot and the Greyjoys, and Daenerys ruling Meereen. Like protar said, if they start including Arya, Jon or any other main characters' arcs from the fourth or fifth books in season 4, they would be denying the audience of highly satisfying endings to the season.

On top of that, many major characters will only have a few chapters of material from books 4&5 that might not even stretch over 1 season, never mind 2 (as most of us are expecting). I'm mostly worried about Sansa and Bran, but also Arya and Davos.

On a side note, most people seem to be expecting Lysa's death to be at the end of S4, but I would rather it get pushed back to season 5. That will give Sansa and LF something to do.

Do you mean one season of 24 episodes?

I don't even think the major broadcast networks have many shows with that many episodes in a season now days.

The show is running nearly 7 million an episode.

That is nearly 170 million dollars for a single season.

Even HBO's ROME two seasons cost only a little over 100 million.

I still think the initial model was dictated by HBO because they felt they were taking a chance.

That set the actor's contracts and block out plans for the whole production , that sets the number of months for production and post production.

I think HBO knew that David Benioff and D.B. Weiss were good enough but I don't think they knew they were this good.

Even HBO's profits from the show went through the roof I don't think they would spring for more than the set model of 10 episodes. They might spring for more money per episode.

Actually, I think Arya should get to Braavos in season 4. They could go as far as her getting rid of all her stuff and hiding Needle beneath the steps. And since GRRM has cut down much of Arya's adventures in Braavos, the show could actually profit from exploring that. GRRM could even write an episode with new Arya stuff in seasons 4 and/or 5.

As to Dany's plot: If they can stretch Dany's arc in season 3 to the defeat of the Yunkai'i - and it seems that's what they are going to do - then they may actually make the conquest of Meereen a bigger/longer thing in the show than it has been in the book. As to ADwD material, I think they could put her first two chapters in season 4, but should not go any further.

I'd be very skeptical if they would try to adapt Dany's ADwD arc without properly introducing at least some of the players in Meereen (Hizdahr, the Green Grace, Skahaz). This whole arc will completely suck if they don't take their time to make the characters interesting. And at least the Shavepate may actually accompany Daenerys to Westeros.

The Ironborn arc from AFfC - at least until the Kingsmoot - would fit perfectly into season 4. In fact, since they split ASoS in two seasons they should now have enough time and space to properly introduce all three Greyjoy brothers, and build up some tensions towards the Kingsmoot. Euron, Asha, Victarion, and Aeron seem to be crucial players in the coming books.

The Dornish plot from AFfC would not fit as nicely into season 4. At least, not if Oberyn only dies around the end of season 4, as I imagine it (in episode 8/9 or so). But they could still introduce Doran and Quentyn to us, by showing us how the father sends his son on his journey to Meereen. Another opportunity would be to introduce us to Quentyn as his comrades without revealing who they are. All we need to know is that they are nobles from Westeros who intend to marry one of their own to Daenerys Targaryen. That way, Doran could be presented as the lazy fool throughout Arianne's arc in season 5 despite the fact that we are simultaneously accompanying Quentyn on his quest to Meereen.

Another thing from ADwD which we are going to see in season 3 will be Theon's torture stuff. Stuff we get in retrospect in his ADwD chapters.

24 episodes won't work for a show like this. It's not good for the overarching plotlines, they would start dragging a lot, look at shows like Lost, Prison Break and 24 (first three shows that come to mind when thinking of 24 episodes a season). Lots of filler, which would annoy the shit out of people. It works good for shows like CSI or Criminal Minds, though.

Archived