Game of Thrones Episode Titles

Westeros

That could work, but what would Brienne do for season 5 then?

Her whereabouts would be an intriguing mystery and she'd then reappear in Jaime's arc towards the end of S5 as she does in the books.

We should keep in mind that there might be contract issues preventing them from omitting major characters for (nearly) a complete seasons. If I remember correctly, Liam Cunningham has signed on for seven seasons or so, which most likely means he is going to appear in season 4. If season 3 would end the Dragonstone story with Davos reading the letter, he could only appear in season 4 if he would participate in the battle beyond the Wall. Which would make little sense since he would have to travel back to Eastwatch to go to White Harbor.

The same may be the case with Brienne. Gwendoline Christie will most certainly become a fan favorite after seasons 3 and 4, which would make it difficult at least to have a disappear for a whole season or so. I also don't see much space for Brienne's quest in season 4. They have to put her and Jaime's arrival to KL after the Purple Wedding, and I don't believe that is going to be in the first three episodes. They could give some of events of Brienne's quest to Jaime and Brienne on their way to KL, thus giving them something to do in the first half of the season. Later on, there should be scenes between her and Loras in KL, and perhaps even a new scene between her and Cersei. Her quest could begin in the last episode of season 4, just as the show chose to show the begin of Arya's journey back home in the end of season 1.

We should keep in mind that there might be contract issues preventing them from omitting major characters for (nearly) a complete seasons. If I remember correctly, Liam Cunningham has signed on for seven seasons or so, which most likely means he is going to appear in season 4. If season 3 would end the Dragonstone story with Davos reading the letter, he could only appear in season 4 if he would participate in the battle beyond the Wall. Which would make little sense since he would have to travel back to Eastwatch to go to White Harbor.

I'm no expert, but I think that contracting would only be an issue if characters are absent for entire seasons. Providing they've got some work during that year I don't see it being a problem but feel free to enlighten me.

The same may be the case with Brienne. Gwendoline Christie will most certainly become a fan favorite after seasons 3 and 4, which would make it difficult at least to have a disappear for a whole season or so. I also don't see much space for Brienne's quest in season 4. They have to put her and Jaime's arrival to KL after the Purple Wedding, and I don't believe that is going to be in the first three episodes. They could give some of events of Brienne's quest to Jaime and Brienne on their way to KL, thus giving them something to do in the first half of the season. Later on, there should be scenes between her and Loras in KL, and perhaps even a new scene between her and Cersei. Her quest could begin in the last episode of season 4, just as the show chose to show the begin of Arya's journey back home in the end of season 1.

If her quest isn't moved up till S4, then she has nothing to do there either. I'm confidant that the PW will be no later than E2, so starting Brienne's quest in 4 would be no problem imo. Certainly there's nothing that they could use to pad out their arrival to KL that wouldn't seem like filler.

I mean I wouldn't mind someone proving me wrong and laying out a perfect mini-story for Jaime and Brienne between the Bear Pit and arriving in KL but I just don't see it.

It has been suggested by Elio (but not 100% confirmed) that some of the actors' contracts may contain provisions to appear in a certain number of episodes over the course of a season. I think that makes sense for a certain segment of the main cast because compensation for television actors often is determined by number of episode appearances. For instance, it wouldn't surprise me that in order for the producers to convince Rose Leslie to leave a regular paying gig at Dowton Abbey, they would need to ensure that it was worthwhile for her which would mean she would appear in a specified number of episodes. Then you get more of an explanation as to why there was more of an emphasis on the Ygritte/Jon relationship in S2 at the expense of building up the Qhorin character (who was going to be gone at the end of the Season regardless).

As viewers, we will never know the extent of what arrangements need to be made in the production in order to put the story on the screen which is why it is often silly to try and assign artistic reasons to changes of the production when there are often logistical or budgetary ones instead.

As we know events in FoC and ADwD run parallel.

And I love George's story telling even when the sum is small, but D&D are going to have to do some invention even in season 4 to keep Brienne from becoming a shaggy dog story.

Season's five and six really present a problem I can see them having to invent a whole new narrative for Brienne , can't think of what it will be.

It has been suggested by Elio (but not 100% confirmed) that some of the actors' contracts may contain provisions to appear in a certain number of episodes over the course of a season. I think that makes sense for a certain segment of the main cast because compensation for television actors often is determined by number of episode appearances. For instance, it wouldn't surprise me that in order for the producers to convince Rose Leslie to leave a regular paying gig at Dowton Abbey, they would need to ensure that it was worthwhile for her which would mean she would appear in a specified number of episodes. Then you get more of an explanation as to why there was more of an emphasis on the Ygritte/Jon relationship in S2 at the expense of building up the Qhorin character (who was going to be gone at the end of the Season regardless).

As viewers, we will never know the extent of what arrangements need to be made in the production in order to put the story on the screen which is why it is often silly to try and assign artistic reasons to changes of the production when there are often logistical or budgetary ones instead.

I had heard that in regards to Charles Dance now you mention it, but I would be skeptical about Gwendoline having such a contract. Gwen has hardly got a packed acting schedule from the looks of her IMDB page and Brienne is a character who takes a while to build up to a major character and who does disappear for extended periods of time, both in the latter half of SOS and in ADWD. It would seem odd and unnecessary imo to work out such a contract there.

As we know events in FoC and ADwD run parallel.

And I love George's story telling even when the sum is small, but D&D are going to have to do some invention even in season 4 to keep Brienne from becoming a shaggy dog story.

Season's five and six really present a problem I can see them having to invent a whole new narrative for Brienne , can't think of what it will be.

I really don't see the need there. Unless Gwen does have a contract forcing them to put her in a certain number of episodes per season (which I doubt for reasons posted above.) they can easily have her quest in S4 and then have her absent for S5 when she turns up in Jaime's arc. Then for S6 I believe we'll be moving into TWOW territory so who knows what will be going on there. Also keep in mind that S5 is going to be pretty packed story wise so the last thing they want is another arc thrown in there.

Solid, also D and D aren't hamstrung by the order of events in the books. As, "Where are my draggunz?" never happened in the books, they will keep the major events in order but everything else is fluid.

From Stannis attacking King's Landing himself, it is no big stretch to have Davos at the wall then send Davos to White Harbor. They have to make the show worth the actor's while not only in $$$$ but also in exposure.

D and D and other staffers have a difficult job and it is IMPOSSIBLE to stick fundamentally to the books and have a successful TV Show.

ok - at the risk of being called a douchebag because I actually work in the industry, TV acting contracts don't work remotely like some people seem to think they do.

It all depends on the production house and unions involved.

This is an HBO production. HBO is based in the US. The union jurisdiction is SAG. Oops. sorry, I mean SAG-AFTRA.

American TV rarely, if ever, contracts anyone or anything beyond a single season. (The Suits really are that flakey, and terrified of having a hit.)

Jerry Seinfeld might have been able to "demand" to be in every episode of his own half-hour sitcom, but most actors on episodics like GoT (Premium cable, not Basic, and not Broadcast TV), which is shot more like a long 10-hour film, than single episodes, are paid for the days/weeks they work (either at scale, or whatever rate their name & management can get for them, which can be anything from a percentage bump to an actual specific figure no matter how many days/weeks they work.

The bigger the Name, the more you can demand of producers. Or you can just demand the moon, and get written off or full on recast.) Lena mentioned she worked 14 days for season 3, whereas the actor playing Pyp, only 1. Their work is then edited into the ten eps we see.

Actors are then paid their same rate their when it airs for first-run. Broadcast networks pay that again every time it runs in primetime. Cable is a bit different, (basic is different than premium.) The rate for residuals goes down when it goes to syndication, and overseas. I still get $7 checks for stuff I did years ago that pops up on cable. woot! :laugh:

You also get paid a little when it goes to DvD.

There are still issues with internet streaming. During the WGA strike, producers claimed they had no idea how many times shows were watched online - as if there's no software tracking that, that allows them to know what to charge their online advertisers. :lmao:

If you want more details, start here. But it might make your eyes bleed. :stunned:

ok - at the risk of being called a douchebag because I actually work in the industry, TV acting contracts don't work remotely like some people seem to think they do.

It all depends on the production house and unions involved.

This is an HBO production. HBO is based in the US. The union jurisdiction is SAG. Oops. sorry, I mean SAG-AFTRA.

American TV rarely, if ever, contracts anyone or anything beyond a single season. (The Suits really are that flakey, and terrified of having a hit.)

Jerry Seinfeld might have been able to "demand" to be in every episode of his own half-hour sitcom, but most actors on episodics like GoT (Premium cable, not Basic, and not Broadcast TV), which is shot more like a long 10-hour film, than single episodes, are paid for the days/weeks they work (either at scale, or whatever rate their name & management can get for them, which can be anything from a percentage bump to an actual specific figure no matter how many days/weeks they work.

The bigger the Name, the more you can demand of producers. Or you can just demand the moon, and get written off or full on recast.) Lena mentioned she worked 14 days for season 3, whereas the actor playing Pyp, only 1. Their work is then edited into the ten eps we see.

Actors are then paid their same rate their when it airs for first-run. Broadcast networks pay that again every time it runs in primetime. Cable is a bit different, (basic is different than premium.) The rate for residuals goes down when it goes to syndication, and overseas. I still get $7 checks for stuff I did years ago that pops up on cable. woot! :laugh:

You also get paid a little when it goes to DvD.

There are still issues with internet streaming. During the WGA strike, producers claimed they had no idea how many times shows were watched online - as if there's no software tracking that, that allows them to know what to charge their online advertisers. :lmao:

If you want more details, start here. But it might make your eyes bleed. :stunned:

I can see that when you can you get an agent and maybe a lawyer!

I really don't see the need there. Unless Gwen does have a contract forcing them to put her in a certain number of episodes per season (which I doubt for reasons posted above.) they can easily have her quest in S4 and then have her absent for S5 when she turns up in Jaime's arc. Then for S6 I believe we'll be moving into TWOW territory so who knows what will be going on there. Also keep in mind that S5 is going to be pretty packed story wise so the last thing they want is another arc thrown in there.

I think starting with season 5 it going to be up to D and D who's appears or who does not.

Maybe it will depend on what George does with novel 6 , even if it's not published yet he might have a copy for them.

If not D and D are going to have to kick into gear starting , maybe, this year, they probably have season 4 blocked out if not some episodes written.

Things get very curious if there is no novel 6 , even if they pull a little stuff back from FoC and ADwD , even using the vast about of story in those novels I think they have pretty much said they are going to restructure the screen narrative, and I bet some invention.

Kinda wish they had of save the invention stuff for season 5 and not started it in season 2.

I don't think too much invention will be necessary, certainly not completely changing the narrative. Rather I think that there'll just be a lot of compressing and streamlining, with the invented scenes bridging these gaps.

I don't think too much invention will be necessary, certainly not completely changing the narrative. Rather I think that there'll just be a lot of compressing and streamlining, with the invented scenes bridging these gaps.

And a lot of shuffling of chapters to mix the two novels together.

But then that's what George originally intended.

If her quest isn't moved up till S4, then she has nothing to do there either. I'm confidant that the PW will be no later than E2, so starting Brienne's quest in 4 would be no problem imo. Certainly there's nothing that they could use to pad out their arrival to KL that wouldn't seem like filler.

I mean I wouldn't mind someone proving me wrong and laying out a perfect mini-story for Jaime and Brienne between the Bear Pit and arriving in KL but I just don't see it.

There's not even going to be anything for Brienne and Jaime to do at the end of Season 3 if the bear pit is episode 7, so a good way to fill in the gap between the bear pit and KL would be to put in a version of Maidenpool and seeing the destruction of the towns and people. Maybe somebody else can be killed in place of Cleos Frey. And then, for the end of their S3 arc, Brienne could hear about the RW and fall into despair.

No way PW happens the season. That would basically mean Tyrion is jailed all of S4 if his meeting with his dad will be the big thing that happens in episode 9

You're assuming season 4 ends with the end of ASOS, and that may not be the case.

You're assuming season 4 ends with the end of ASOS, and that may not be the case.

It wont for some storylines, but kings landing is the main arc of the series, it has to be the climax of the season. I expect Jon's story will also end at the end of aSoS (D&D have stated that they plan for the Battle at the Wall to end season 4), but I doubt Dany's will (if it were up to me, I'd end her story where her dragons are imprisoned and Drogon escapes).

There is certainly an opportunity in Season 4 for D&D spending a longer time with Oberyn and Tyrion. I`m pretty sure George has said he regrets killing him off too soon (isn`t that why he introduced Darkstar?) so if there was ever a perfect opportunity to give us more Red Viper then this is it. Personally I wouldn`t say no to extra material being invented for early Season 4 pre-PW so we can get to know and love Oberyn`s character better.

Yes, there`s the issue with Jaime and Brienne but as many people have pointed out they could always show some more Riverlands stuff there. Or just have them be on the back burner for a few episodes. I don`t know why people are so adamant to have characters show up at least every second episode. It`s not needed. Besides, there`ll be plenty of time for them to do stuff once Joff kicks it. And plenty of stuff to do.

Archived